Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

14 day window with no award space (X class)

Old Feb 23, 2024, 1:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, Bonvoy Titanium Elite

I need to get from SYD to ADL on 30th or 31st October using award space (BA Avios booking which requires X class).

Strangely, there is a 14 day window from 30 Oct - 12 Nov where there is zero X class availability on this route, whilst there is plenty of availability either side of this window. This has been the case since November 2023 when I started looking, so itís not just a blip.

Also strangely, there is some availability if I was able to start in, say BNE, and fly via SYD to ADL. Iíve seen this type of thing on BA too (ie. start at UK regional airport instead of London) giving more award space. However, doesnít help me as I arrive in SYD on 30 Oct from the BA flight.

Does anyone know if there something special about this 2 week period in early November (eg. some major event in SYD or ADL) or do you think it is an internal/ technical glitch?

Just trying to decide how long to waitÖ or give up and buy a non flexible cash fare.
Old Feb 23, 2024, 11:43 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
I don't have a good explanation. As a Qantas Frequent Flyer we also see no availability on the direct QF services. However, lots of award availability on Jetstar. Of course this doesn't help you when trying to use Avios. Also normal inventory seems to be okay, there is no indication of extra high demand yet.
PhilE likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2024, 5:31 pm

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
As a GGL, have you phoned BA (Manchester) and asked them for say BNE/SYD/ADL, and then say, oh actually I would like to start in SYD, and see if they can unlink the sectors.

Otherwise it is not school holidays, it is not relevant cities for Melbourne cup, wrong time of year for Adelaide fringe festival, not really a high demand Australian travel time. so in short other than the vagaries of Qantas you may be up for a cash fare....you could probably leave in on a watch for a few months and see what happens - QF will have a few domestic sales between now and then, and given we are in the DSC time, airfares on QF are expensive until 28 Feb.
PhilE likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2024, 12:13 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback and reassurance that I havenít missed anything. I have EF fare alerts set on a few flights to check for X class but if nothing opens up soon Iíll try your suggestion and see if GGL support can help.
Old Feb 24, 2024, 1:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Given that Virgin has fares of $99 on those days, I would just be inclined to book on VA

The taxes on QF for SYD-ADL would be $31 plus, if BA imposes the carrier surcharge, would be the surcharge of $17.50

This means that it it is only $39.5 - $57 (GBP20.5 - 29.5) that the points used are saving
PhilE and DiamondMile like this.
Old Feb 24, 2024, 6:24 am
Original Poster

Good points - will look at Virgin too. The benefit of Qantas awards for me (as a BA GGL) is completely free cancellation until T-24, which I also have on the long haul flight, but at those prices vs the award costs, maybe I just accept the risk/ benefit of cash.
Old Feb 25, 2024, 3:35 pm

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Note - the cheapest fares with Virgin are Lite fares which do not include an allocated seat, baggage, and some other restrictions on changes etc. They may suite your needs or may not...But it is always good advice to check the cash fare of the flight and alternative airlines on the same route.
DiamondMile likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2024, 12:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Koru Flyer
Otherwise it is not school holidays, it is not relevant cities for Melbourne cup, wrong time of year for Adelaide fringe festival, not really a high demand Australian travel time. so in short other than the vagaries of Qantas you may be up for a cash fare....you could probably leave in on a watch for a few months and see what happens - QF will have a few domestic sales between now and then, and given we are in the DSC time, airfares on QF are expensive until 28 Feb.
Iím still not really clear what changed other than weíre now in March (post 28 Feb as Koru Flyer suggested) but several EF alerts fired today and thereís now lots of availability for my preferred dates so Iíve grabbed my preferred flight.

For reference the BA Avios options for this route work out about £110 / AUD 200 per person if you value Avios at 1p and this includes checked baggage. What with the other OWE benefits like free seat selection and business lounge access, Iím happy. Thanks again to everyone for your helpful inputs.
Koru Flyer likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.