Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

QF Domestic Baggage Allowance OW Sapphire

Old Jan 19, 2024, 5:29 am
Original Poster

Hiya,

I'm flying SYD-MEL return in June on QF. I'm OW Sapphire through BAEC Silver status. In Manage My Booking I can see my Sapphire status but the baggage allowance is still listed at 1 piece (23kg). I'm hoping it's still true that I get 2x bags at 23kg each but can anyone confirm this? And why wouldn't Qantas display it on my booking page?

Side note - will I also be able to guest my partner into the Business lounges at either end through my Sapphire status?

Thanks all!
Old Jan 19, 2024, 6:47 am

Programs: AY Platinum, UA Premier Platinum, OneWorld Emerald, VA Platinum
Q1. Pretty sure it's only 23kgs for domestic.

Q2. Guest allowance is 1 pax on same flight. Qantas Club lounge, not Business lounge from memory. No harm in trying to access the Biz lounge but probably will be redirected.

https://www.qantas.com/au/en/qantas-...neworld-status
Old Jan 19, 2024, 12:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Hulabuloo
Hiya,

I'm flying SYD-MEL return in June on QF. I'm OW Sapphire through BAEC Silver status. In Manage My Booking I can see my Sapphire status but the baggage allowance is still listed at 1 piece (23kg). I'm hoping it's still true that I get 2x bags at 23kg each but can anyone confirm this? And why wouldn't Qantas display it on my booking page?

Side note - will I also be able to guest my partner into the Business lounges at either end through my Sapphire status?

Thanks all!
OW Sapphire does not provide for additional baggage allowance over 1 piece on domestic journeys within OneWorld. See https://www.oneworld.com/travel-benefits

Originally Posted by OW
On purely domestic itineraries, using the baggage allowance "piece" system, for tickets with no ticketed baggage entitlement - the assurance of one piece of checked baggage, weighing up to 23 kgs.
You will not be able to access the business ;lounge based on OW Sapphire status, but will be able to access the Qantas Club together with 1 guest

See https://www.oneworld.com/airport-lou...-access-policy

Originally Posted by OW
Sapphire tier frequent flyers are welcome in Business Class* or frequent flyer lounges. (*does not include Qantas Domestic Business Lounges)
DiamondMile likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2024, 7:14 pm

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Hiya,

Side note - QF lounges are departure lounges, so you will not be able to access the lounge on arrival in MEL (QF Platinum and greater have this benefit).
DiamondMile likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2024, 3:00 am
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies. Just to clarify, QF states on their website that OW Sapphire receives the same benefits as QF Gold. They also have a baggage table under the Australia Domestic section as follows. Should I be wary of this? It seems like Iím finding conflicting info.
Old Jan 21, 2024, 1:46 pm

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
The link you have posted is for QF status, which like most OW airlines gives its members extra benefits over equivalent OW status.
if you can find a link that explicitly states that OWS provides exactly the same benefits as QFGold please post it.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2024, 2:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Koru Flyer
The link you have posted is for QF status, which like most OW airlines gives its members extra benefits over equivalent OW status.
if you can find a link that explicitly states that OWS provides exactly the same benefits as QFGold please post it.
Actually - the QF baggage allowance page does have a section for OW Sapphire at https://www.qantas.com/au/en/travel-...eworld-members and does state that Sapphire will get 2 x 23Kg on domestic bookings

Not the same as for QF Gold , but better than the requirements as per OW requirements
Koru Flyer likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2024, 3:53 pm

Programs: BAEC, Virgin Flying Club
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Actually - the QF baggage allowance page does have a section for OW Sapphire at https://www.qantas.com/au/en/travel-...eworld-members and does state that Sapphire will get 2 x 23Kg on domestic bookings

Not the same as for QF Gold , but better than the requirements as per OW requirements
Just to add to this, I initially thought I wouldn't receive the benefit mention from my Saphire status, but it looks like I will from their website.

Although it is only showing as 1 bag on manage my booking despite correctly listing my status as Saphire. I have messaged Qantas to clarify.
Old Mar 4, 2024, 7:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbonathan
Just to add to this, I initially thought I wouldn't receive the benefit mention from my Saphire status, but it looks like I will from their website.

Although it is only showing as 1 bag on manage my booking despite correctly listing my status as Saphire. I have messaged Qantas to clarify.
Would love to hear if you got a response from QF about this!
Old Mar 4, 2024, 10:45 pm

Would love to hear if you got a response from QF about this!
oh yes, I did, and they agreed that I would revive the extra baggage. I have since flown once and the extra baggage was accepted without mention. We are about to fly again, so assume we will have a similar experience.

Also, worth mentioning that we went to the lounge in Sydney with just our boarding cards that make no mention of our status and were waved through without needing to prove our BA status.

We have not yet received any TPs or Avios yet, which I read is not unusual.

EDIT: All worked fine at bag drop in Adelaide (the 1 staffed desk had a long queue)
Hulabuloo likes this.

Last edited by sbonathan; Mar 5, 2024 at 12:35 am
Old Mar 5, 2024, 9:36 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Priority Club Gold, Accor Silver, Virgin Australia Gold
Originally Posted by sbonathan

We have not yet received any TPs or Avios yet, which I read is not unusual.

EDIT: All worked fine at bag drop in Adelaide (the 1 staffed desk had a long queue)
That will be probably your next "worry"....not all QF flights are collectables for Tier Points/AVIOS and you don't get to see the booking class until purchased. Hopefully your flights qualify.
Old Mar 5, 2024, 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by nivsy
That will be probably your next "worry"....not all QF flights are collectables for Tier Points/AVIOS and you don't get to see the booking class until purchased. Hopefully your flights qualify.
Yes I had read that. I think they qualify, but will have to wait and see. Tbh, I'm not going to qualify this year so TPs not hugely important, the avios though are always welcome.
Old Mar 6, 2024, 1:18 am

It is only the very cheapest /E/* fares that do not collect avios, you can see (after booking) the booking class on MMB on qantas, qatar, finnair etc.
*I am not aware of any other cash fare classes that do not collect avios. if it is a problem you can contact a TA or QF and they will let you know what the fare bucket is, and then you can match with the website, a bit of PITA but that is QF

KF

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.