Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Not Flying Qantas due to staff political views

Old Jan 4, 2024, 6:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVPG, Delta PM, AA EXP, Wannabe SkyWest 1K

I have two SFO-SYD RTs in the next six months, am OW Emerald, but will just book on AA via LAX now. Qantas is not only allowing staff to stay in her job after wearing a Palestinian Flag pin, she's doubled down on social media by threatening the person who reported her to the news. Air Canada, United, and other North American carriers have fired pilots for inappropriate political comments on social media or while on the job, meanwhile Qantas just wants to sweep this under the rug. For all the talk about safety and the trust we're supposed to have in airline crews, this is absolutely pathetic.

https://www.skynews.com.au/australia...6191546459c45f
riced, daenous and SFO777 like this.

Last edited by DownUnderFlyer; Jan 5, 2024 at 1:16 am
Old Jan 4, 2024, 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by PotomacApproach
I have two SFO-SYD RTs in the next six months, am OW Emerald, but will just book on AA via LAX now. Qantas is not only allowing staff to stay in her job after wearing a Palestinian Flag pin, she's doubled down on social media by threatening the person who reported her to the news. Air Canada, United, and other North American carriers have fired pilots for inappropriate political comments on social media or while on the job, meanwhile Qantas just wants to sweep this under the rug. For all the talk about safety and the trust we're supposed to have in airline crews, this is absolutely pathetic.

https://www.skynews.com.au/australia...6191546459c45f
I dont understand what your problem is here?

Last edited by DownUnderFlyer; Jan 5, 2024 at 1:17 am
Old Jan 4, 2024, 6:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Le_Champion
I dont understand what your problem is here?
North American airlines fire people for inappropriately sharing political views, Qantas doesn't. Like many people, I don't want to fly on Woke Airlines that cares more about covering up a pro-terrorist employee with defiant PR than actually running a proper operation. OneWorld needs to boot them out of the alliance.
SFO777, 3AonBA, DASRTR and 2 others like this.

Last edited by DownUnderFlyer; Jan 5, 2024 at 1:17 am
Old Jan 4, 2024, 7:10 pm

Programs: Miles & More / Virgin Velocity-Gold
Well Qantas can have YES plastered over 3 of their airlines despite being judged by the people of Australia as not their choice by majority. No wonder their employees deride their employer.
Old Jan 4, 2024, 7:23 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Inappropriate to show staff images and names in a public forum. Doesnt matter whether you like them or loath them.
Old Jan 4, 2024, 7:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by og
Inappropriate to show staff images and names in a public forum. Doesn’t matter whether you like them or loath them.
Wrong. It's absolutely appropriate, these images are already publicly available on SkyNews and YouTube. And it's very much the public's business that Qantas won't fire employees like this. What kind of employee who's supposed to be there for safety threatens a passenger?
mnhusker, riced and 3AonBA like this.
Old Jan 4, 2024, 7:56 pm

I have two SFO-SYD RTs in the next six months, am OW Emerald, but will just book on AA via LAX now.
I'm sure AA and Qantas appreciate your decision equally.
AirborneLocksmith likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2024, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wrong. It's absolutely appropriate, these images are already publicly available on SkyNews and YouTube. And it's very much the public's business that Qantas won't fire employees like this. What kind of employee who's supposed to be there for safety threatens a passenger?
I note your location " SFO/SJC/OAK/STS"
Australian employment laws are very different to USA as what is allowable to terminate employment. And QF unions are very strong.
Qantas, other AU airlines have employees of all faiths. A big Moslem population in Sydney.

But for me any company and employee should not "advertise" any cause or political persuasion. Just keep to the core business.
From the link
We understand there are strong and opposing views on the current conflict, but there is no room for these to be expressed by our employees in the workplace,” the statement read.

“Our priority is creating a safe and respectful environment for our customers and all our people.

“Unauthorised badges can’t be worn by employees and we’ve reinforced this to the crew member involved, along with the seriousness of this particular matter. We have also reminded all employees of this policy".

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Jan 4, 2024 at 8:11 pm
Old Jan 4, 2024, 8:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
I note your location " SFO/SJC/OAK/STS"
Australian employment laws are very different to USA as what is allowable to terminate employment. And QF unions are very strong.
Qantas, other AU airlines have employees of all faiths. A big Moslem population in Sydney.

But for me any company and employee should not "advertise" any cause or political persuasion. Just keep to the core business.
From the link
It doesn't matter who lives in Sydney, they aren't allowed to have lower standards than American carriers when they offer service to the US. They've clearly demonstrated here that they do.
Old Jan 4, 2024, 8:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fly2nrt
I'm sure AA and Qantas appreciate your decision equally.
It's not just me my friend.
riced likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2024, 10:45 pm

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
already alerted the moderator.
Old Jan 5, 2024, 12:48 am
THR

Good riddance I say.

We have freedom of speech; I thought you Americans claimed the same.

Wearing a Palestinian flag, and protesting against an ongoing genocide, does not equate to support of terrorism.
Old Jan 5, 2024, 1:08 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
[mod hat] This is going nowhere. [/mod hat]

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.