Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Difficulty getting One World Status to show

Old Nov 12, 2023, 9:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver

I am currently One World Emerald.

I booked a couple of award flights on Qantas on AA.com. When I went to Manage my booking on Qantas to select seats, first it correctly showed my One World Status. After I selected seats, it shows "Bronze Frequent Flyer".

On another award flight, booked via Alaska Airlines, I had the Qantas twitter team add my American Airlines FF #, which is where I have the status. It was added, displayed after the QF and AS ff #'s, but it still shows "Bronze Frequent Flyer".

How do I get it to show One World Emerald and stay that way.?
Does my AA # need to be the only one on the record?
Is that possible if I booked it as an Alaska award?
Does it get undone if I access it via Manage my Booking while logged in at the QF site?

While it's not a big deal on the way out (I'm in F), I will need the extra bag on domestic flights, plus I expect better treatment if IRROPS. And I have a couple of coach legs, I think Sapphire's and Emerald's get business class lounge access on domestic coach flights.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old Nov 12, 2023, 9:59 pm

Qantas technology is not the best when it comes to showing OWE status. For example, the Apple Pay boarding pass will not show any status but the boarding pass available in the QF app will show status.

If it is in the record then the check-in agent should be able to provide you with any baggage benefits.

Lounges should allow entry upon showing your card with OWE status.

Don't expect anything in an irrops situation from OWE status. In my experience OW status means nothing to Qantas.
Old Nov 12, 2023, 10:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Thanks. I know on other airlines, the agent hasn't been able to override the system to get me the extra check bag. Is this something you know from direct experience?

My concern is that it isn't showing in the app or web, it just says "Bronze"
Old Nov 13, 2023, 1:15 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by jja34-1
Don't expect anything in an irrops situation from OWE status. In my experience OW status means nothing to Qantas.
In IRROPS you dont expect anything more than being rebooked by the computer. If youre after $$$ or hotels, meals, taxis - then rely on your travel insurance and maybe an offering if you can find someone at the airport. There are no laws in Oz for mandatory compensation. If youre phoning, then QF status is your friend to keep the phone queue to a minimum.
Old Nov 13, 2023, 12:35 pm
Original Poster

I had the team delete my QF and AS f #s, leaving only my AA #, and it showed.

I think if I manage my booking while logged in, it will add the QF number automatically; and that may stop the status from showing.
Old Nov 13, 2023, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beachfan
I am currently One World Emerald.

I booked a couple of award flights on Qantas on AA.com. When I went to Manage my booking on Qantas to select seats, first it correctly showed my One World Status. After I selected seats, it shows "Bronze Frequent Flyer".

On another award flight, booked via Alaska Airlines, I had the Qantas twitter team add my American Airlines FF #, which is where I have the status. It was added, displayed after the QF and AS ff #'s, but it still shows "Bronze Frequent Flyer".

How do I get it to show One World Emerald and stay that way.?
Does my AA # need to be the only one on the record?
Is that possible if I booked it as an Alaska award?
Does it get undone if I access it via Manage my Booking while logged in at the QF site?

While it's not a big deal on the way out (I'm in F), I will need the extra bag on domestic flights, plus I expect better treatment if IRROPS. And I have a couple of coach legs, I think Sapphire's and Emerald's get business class lounge access on domestic coach flights..

I think if I manage my booking while logged in, it will add the QF number automatically; and that may stop the status from showing.
If you book an award flight can be hard to remove the ff number and replace with another to get status benefits. Freq flyer numbers can be very sticky.
Many ffp's allow you book an award for another person. That other person can be a 99.9% clone of you, but with a different ffn.

Why have you joined the QF ffp? More so if you have memberships with AA & AS.

Airline frequent flyer IT systems are not that robust
If you are logged in with a specific ffn for some systems opening a reservation/PNR can attach it to that ffp.
When folks work/game the edges to get benefits random things can happen.
Many have success with Finnair AY manage my booking to remove a ffn and later then use another airlines manage my booking to add in a new ffn.
Old Nov 14, 2023, 8:15 am

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
QF is well known to in their system "collect" FF numbers and then randomly apply one.

To the above, do not MMB while logged in ;-) Just log out and use the PNR to check your booking. Use a different browser or delete cookies if you are concerned.
While you may see the AA, AS or QF number there is no guarantee that it will show correctly, or even the one in the system being the same one as the BP. The only way around this, is to find a knowledgeable (i.e. HBA team) agent who can go through the whole PNR and delete all FF numbers and then you start again. Which they may be hesitant for as it was an award booking - but you have already "paid".

I experience this a lot due to having a QF Gold that I used to use for domestic upgrades, by credit to BA, and once a year credit to KLM to keep those miles alive.

QF agents on the ground near the self checkin know well that that the QF systems makes a muddle of FF status, and will override the baggage fees if that come sup, once you show them the card/wallet etc pic of the card with status and that it is still valid.

KF
beachfan likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2023, 7:01 pm

Thanks. I know on other airlines, the agent hasn't been able to override the system to get me the extra check bag. Is this something you know from direct experience?

My concern is that it isn't showing in the app or web, it just says "Bronze"
Try using MMB from another OW member like RJ or CX and see if you can attach your FF. Then see if it updates itself correctly. I know this is a trick QF members use to try and fix FF for OW partner airlines and FF not attaching properly. i imagine it works in reverse too.
Old Dec 28, 2023, 12:28 pm
Original Poster

Now it seems like my status has been deleted although it shows my AA number and previously showed my emerald status.

i didnt log back in, I just checked my allowance in the app. Any idea what happened?
Old Dec 30, 2023, 2:17 am
Original Poster

It turns out its there but not until you click on your seat assignment.

unfortunately, while I get an extra bag, I font get the heavier bag allowance offered Qantas platinum which is what I need. Ill just pay the $50 heavy bag fee.
Old Dec 31, 2023, 12:03 am

Programs: QF, CoUniHound Refugee
Originally Posted by og
In IRROPS you dont expect anything more than being rebooked by the computer. If youre after $$$ or hotels, meals, taxis - then rely on your travel insurance and maybe an offering if you can find someone at the airport. There are no laws in Oz for mandatory compensation. If youre phoning, then QF status is your friend to keep the phone queue to a minimum.
while there may not be laws for compensation during IRROPs there most certainly is a requirement for airlines to provide things like meals and accommodation when it occurs and to reimburse passengers for any other out of pocket expenses (e.g., prepaid hotel nights lost due to you arriving late). This is enshrined in both international law (Montreal Convention) and Australian Consumer law (e.g., the Australian Consumer Guarantee). Additionally, Qantas has a policy where they will reimburse passengers for meals and accommodation in case there was any uncertainty here:

https://www.qantas.com/au/en/book-a-...ds-policy.html
Old Dec 31, 2023, 12:22 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kangarooflyer88
while there may not be laws for compensation during IRROPs there most certainly is a requirement for airlines to provide things like meals and accommodation when it occurs and to reimburse passengers for any other out of pocket expenses (e.g., prepaid hotel nights lost due to you arriving late). This is enshrined in both international law (Montreal Convention) and Australian Consumer law (e.g., the Australian Consumer Guarantee). Additionally, Qantas has a policy where they will reimburse passengers for meals and accommodation in case there was any uncertainty here:

https://www.qantas.com/au/en/book-a-...ds-policy.html
No issue with this, but QF carefully word their language when, for example, downsizing a 330 to a 738 and send a suggestion message saying effectively that there is a chance that when you arrive for your flight that there may not be a seat and the pax is invited to consider flying next day with no cost to change the flight. No offer of accom, meals or taxis. This bullying .......ary approach gets most targeted people (i.e. no status) to change and just cop it. My example was from a friend who was trying to get home CNS-SYD and didnt want to push for any support.
Old Jan 1, 2024, 1:50 am

Programs: QF, CoUniHound Refugee
Originally Posted by og
No issue with this, but QF carefully word their language when, for example, downsizing a 330 to a 738 and send a suggestion message saying effectively that there is a chance that when you arrive for your flight that there may not be a seat and the pax is invited to consider flying next day with no cost to change the flight. No offer of accom, meals or taxis. This bullying .......ary approach gets most targeted people (i.e. no status) to change and just cop it. My example was from a friend who was trying to get home CNS-SYD and didnt want to push for any support.
Just ignore the warning. If they deny you boarding they are on the hook for a number of things including denied boarding compensation when departing out of certain destinations like EU, Canada or USA. And as you point out, if you proactively select the latter flight they may not cover things like hotels and meals whereas if they bump you they absolutely do. The other nice thing about getting bumped is that sometimes airlines are just forced to put you in business class. For instance they may be out of economy seats but have space in Premium Economy or Business. Well they can upgrade you to that for free (called an Operational Upgrade or OpUp). Additionally, some regulations state that you must be put on the next available flight. Well if the next available flight has just business class, the airline gets to eat it up!
-RooFlyer88
Old Jan 8, 2024, 8:34 pm

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE, Qantas Platinum, Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I've noticed that the QF website and app no longer shows non-QF flights to which I have added my QF FFP (AS, BA, MH, AA trips). Last year any booking that had my QF FFP number would show in MMB - it was really helpful having a full list of my flights. Now it only shows the booking if there is an actual QF flight. I am assuming that the site has had a refresh as it looks a little different (and not that helpful - it doesn't show an itinerary where two flights are on different days - it just shows the departure date of the first flight).

Perhaps this has been discussed in which case I am guilty of thread creep.

CHCflyer
Old Jan 9, 2024, 3:07 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CHCflyer
I've noticed that the QF website and app no longer shows non-QF flights to which I have added my QF FFP (AS, BA, MH, AA trips). Last year any booking that had my QF FFP number would show in MMB - it was really helpful having a full list of my flights. Now it only shows the booking if there is an actual QF flight. I am assuming that the site has had a refresh as it looks a little different (and not that helpful - it doesn't show an itinerary where two flights are on different days - it just shows the departure date of the first flight).

Perhaps this has been discussed in which case I am guilty of thread creep.

CHCflyer
FWIW, an upcoming itinerary shown on the QF app has QF flights as expected, along with BA Euro flights - both with my QF FF number. But, AA flights with my QF number dont show. But Im unsure if AA flights have ever shown on my QF trips.
CHCflyer likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.