Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Qantas T3 lounge denied access [@LHR]

Qantas T3 lounge denied access [@LHR]

Old Sep 22, 2023, 12:27 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 41
Qantas T3 lounge denied access [@LHR]

BA gold fly to Europe, we were denied to enter Qantas T3 lounge at 1730 due to capacity? However they allow people fly with Qantas going in. Is it fair?
Yongie is offline  
Old Sep 22, 2023, 3:10 pm
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: MEL CHC
Posts: 20,831
Originally Posted by Yongie
BA gold fly to Europe, we were denied to enter Qantas T3 lounge at 1730 due to capacity? However they allow people fly with Qantas going in. Is it fair?
What airport? What flight were you on?
To me a Qantas lounge giving preference to people flying Qantas is OK, and restricting others not flying Qantas.
Mwenenzi is offline  
Old Sep 22, 2023, 4:02 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Location: LAX/SFO
Posts: 369
I am guessing....LHR?
sof_lance is offline  
Old Sep 22, 2023, 4:35 pm
  #4  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 44,320
Capacity is a valid reason for estricting access. It hardly seems unfair that the airline is prioritising its own passengers over those who are neither flying on a Qantas flight nor hold status with Qantas

BA has a lounge at T3 ( assuming LHR ) which I expect that would have no issue giving access to one of its Gold members
djsflynn and DiamondMile like this.
Dave Noble is offline  
Old Sep 22, 2023, 4:37 pm
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 41
Originally Posted by sof_lance
I am guessing....LHR?
Yes LHR T3
Yongie is offline  
Old Sep 22, 2023, 4:40 pm
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 41
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
What airport? What flight were you on?
To me a Qantas lounge giving preference to people flying Qantas is OK, and restricting others not flying Qantas.
We are on BA metal, naturally they refused us to enter
Yongie is offline  
Old Sep 22, 2023, 4:43 pm
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 41
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Capacity is a valid reason for estricting access. It hardly seems unfair that the airline is prioritising its own passengers over those who are neither flying on a Qantas flight nor hold status with Qantas

BA has a lounge at T3 ( assuming LHR ) which I expect that would have no issue giving access to one of its Gold members
It would be fair if we were told they have preferences so we are not allowed in. It seemed not fair they use capacity as excuse while they still allow others in after us
Yongie is offline  
Old Sep 22, 2023, 6:17 pm
  #8  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 44,320
Originally Posted by Yongie
It would be fair if we were told they have preferences so we are not allowed in. It seemed not fair they use capacity as excuse while they still allow others in after us
How is it unfair that Qantas is restricting access if it wants to ensure that its passengers are able to access the lounge and be able to get a seat. It is better than letting non QF members/passengers in and then having to deny QF passengers in

Capacity issues is a valid reason for restricting access

There are 3 other OW lounges available to use in T3 - including the BA lounge - I assume that BA was happy to let a BA Gold member travelling on BA into the lounge?

Last edited by Dave Noble; Sep 22, 2023 at 6:24 pm
Dave Noble is offline  
Old Sep 22, 2023, 6:19 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 6,328
Originally Posted by Yongie
It would be fair if we were told they have preferences so we are not allowed in. It seemed not fair they use capacity as excuse while they still allow others in after us
The capacity limit they were referring to was that of NON QF passengers.
trooper is offline  
Old Sep 22, 2023, 9:08 pm
  #10  
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: STR/SYD/SMF
Programs: QF SG, LH SEN, OZ D+, HH D, SPG P
Posts: 14,334
[mod hat] Edited the thread title for clarity [/mod hat]

I am on the same page as the OP here. I can't find anything in the access rules which would allow an airline to refuse entry to one group of eligible customers while at the very same time admitting other groups of equally eligible customers. And how would they do this? BA Gold flying Qantas economy over a Qantas WP flying BA business? People without kids over people with kids unless the kid is a P1?
mnhusker and Yongie like this.
DownUnderFlyer is offline  
Old Sep 22, 2023, 9:14 pm
  #11  
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: WAS
Programs: Free Agent
Posts: 1,751
This is what BA does in all their North American lounges - BA pax only, other OW longhaul J pax get turned away due to "capacity."
Beltway2A is offline  
Old Sep 22, 2023, 9:33 pm
  #12  
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: SYD
Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Posts: 8,491
Some context here: LHR Lounges are very full, BA have been offering 30GBP vouchers to their own pax to reduce capacity in T5 lounges such as GF.

When youre turning away your own OWE there are clearly capacity issues.

Its likely QF knew they would be at or close to capacity with their own pax.

Last edited by m0hamed; Sep 22, 2023 at 9:51 pm
m0hamed is offline  
Old Sep 22, 2023, 9:38 pm
  #13  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 44,320
Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
[mod hat] Edited the thread title for clarity [/mod hat]

I am on the same page as the OP here. I can't find anything in the access rules which would allow an airline to refuse entry to one group of eligible customers while at the very same time admitting other groups of equally eligible customers. And how would they do this? BA Gold flying Qantas economy over a Qantas WP flying BA business? People without kids over people with kids unless the kid is a P1?
It states at https://www.oneworld.com/airport-lounges "Some lounges may get busy at peak times, and access to them may be restricted as a result."

Restricting access to the Qantas lounge to those departing on a Qantas flight when the lounge is busy, seems perfectly within reason. The straw man about other possibilities is irrelevent since there is nothing to say that this is the case. If it was to allow it Platinum or Platinum One members in , then so what , there is nothing to suggest that it shouldnt. There are probably not many Platinum members departing LHR T3 on other airlines at that time vs BA memvers departing on other flights
Dave Noble is offline  
Old Sep 22, 2023, 9:41 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: NYC/DC
Programs: AA,SPG, Delta, Amtrak, JB
Posts: 773
Originally Posted by Yongie
BA gold fly to Europe, we were denied to enter Qantas T3 lounge at 1730 due to capacity? However they allow people fly with Qantas going in. Is it fair?
Yes it is fair. Qantas should reserve the space for its pax first and foremost.
AJNEDC is offline  
Old Sep 23, 2023, 1:36 am
  #15  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Melbourne
Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Posts: 21,971
Originally Posted by Yongie
It would be fair if we were told they have preferences so we are not allowed in. It seemed not fair they use capacity as excuse while they still allow others in after us
IMHO, they were doing you a favour.

In my experience CX F and even AA F lounges are far better than the bourgeoisie QF with its limited offering (unless you know the secret handshake of CL/P1).
relaxonbarton, nivsy and shillard like this.
serfty is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.