Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

QF blocking business class seat [allocation] despite OW status

Old Jul 18, 2023, 9:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Oneworld Emerald, WoH Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold 100k

Just wondering if others have had any similar issues with QF business bookings. My wife and son and I are booked in business from LAX-SYD and returning MEL-LAX in a few months (A380 both legs). We are all Alaska 100K, so oneworld emeralds. After booking, I have been attempting to get into row 11, but seats are all blocked. On the outbound flight we are in row 13, but on the inbound I canít access any seats in the forward business cabin at all, as they are all blocked. The farthest up I can secure seats on that flight is row 21. Expertflyer shows the seats blocked, not occupied. Called Qantas three times to ask why the seats are blocked when we are OW Emerald, and got a new explanation each time:

1) Those seats are only available to Qantas Platinum, OW status doesnít matter.
2) Alaska status isnít recognized by Qantas (total b.s. since Emerald is right next to all of our names on the Qantasís reservation page)
3) Because I booked with a third party (booked through Amex travel portal because of international airline program deal) our OW status is not recognized.

None of these responses seemed to hold any water to me. I contacted the Qantas twitter account for help, and they would only tell me that the rows I am requesting are restricted to advance seat selection. No explanation as to why they arenít available to me as an Emerald, and no explanation as to why I can at least get up into row 13 on one flight but not the other. Anybody else dealt with similar issues? This seems like a disregard for alliance benefits by QantasÖ
Old Jul 18, 2023, 10:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Look again at T-80. And keep looking as business pax can change flights.
With a large % booked they may not be available for allocations at this time

reason 1 - possible. Look at T-80
reason 2 - bs
reason 3 - bs x 2

Many new phone staff since CV19. Poorly trained and very low on experience.
When I ask for such things to be put in writing to me by email, the phone agents tend to take a step back. I then send an email to QF stating what I was told by phone. At times have had a back track by QF

Anyway what difference will the row make??
From MEL always a chance A380 will be swapped to B787.

Edit
As below "This seems like a disregard for alliance benefits by Qantas"
Where is this co called "benefit" stated? And by row number?

IMHO your thread title "QF blocking business class seats despite OW status" is more correctly "QF restricting business class seat allocation despite OWE status
DiamondMile and nancypants like this.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Jul 18, 2023 at 11:06 pm
Old Jul 18, 2023, 10:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

What benefit is being disregarded? What makes row 12 that much better than row 21 in business class on an A380? - exiting the aeroplane is not much difference given where the door is- I believe that QF does do some blocking for its own members

If you check around 80 hours before departure you may find blocks have disappeared
DiamondMile and nancypants like this.
Old Jul 18, 2023, 11:45 pm

Programs: NZ
As far as I know preferential seating is not a OW benefit. QF gives seating preference to its own elite members, but not to OW elites. As others have said wait till T-80 when some of these blocked seats may open up.
Old Jul 18, 2023, 11:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by minz56
As far as I know preferential seating is not a OW benefit. QF gives seating preference to its own elite members, but not to OW elites. As others have said wait till T-80 when some of these blocked seats may open up.
Preferential seating is a OWR, OWS & OWE benefit.
https://www.oneworld.com/travel-benefits
  • Priority boarding
  • Priority on waitlists and when on standby*
  • Access to preferred or pre-reserved seating*
*In accordance with the individual policy of the oneworld airline operating the flight
But is not defined and different for each airline,
Other then CX have never read (in writing) what each airline defines as "Preferential seating".
As a example, for a time AA had MCE as Preferential seating benefit. But then stopped that without notice. A few weeks later was reinstated for AA JV partners BA & JL. And for AS.
BA gives the no cost seat allocations to all OWS & OWE. But if no status you pay for seat selection in economy and business.

To me no issue an airline ffp giving more benefits to its own members compared to others, who may never have been on a QF aircraft.
DiamondMile likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2023, 12:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

In Business class on the A380 , what makes row 12 better than row 13 or even row 20? In economy there can be more of a difference - e.g. exit row seats having decent legroom - though of course, even someone with Emerald status would still be required to pay for an exit row seat.

Given where the entry door is for the upper deck, isn't row 13 better than row 12 for quicker disembarkation?
Old Jul 19, 2023, 12:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: Oneworld Emerald, WoH Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold 100k
Mainly looking for row 11 just for the slightly increased foot space. But agree equipment can change and in the end itís a minor point. Seems like this is likely just a differentiation in the way QF allocates advanced seat assignments for their own elites vs OW status holders. Will look when T-80 rolls around. Thanks all.
Kitt_ likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2023, 1:10 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
[mod hat] I have edited the thread title for a bit more clarity. Thanks Mwenenzi for the suggestion. [/mod hat]]
Old Jul 19, 2023, 1:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jarodmc
Mainly looking for row 11 just for the slightly increased foot space. But agree equipment can change and in the end itís a minor point. Seems like this is likely just a differentiation in the way QF allocates advanced seat assignments for their own elites vs OW status holders. Will look when T-80 rolls around. Thanks all.
And at T-24 / T-48. That is when people with paid tickets may change. More so if flying with their employers money.
Old Jul 19, 2023, 5:48 am

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
The quick check for preferential treatment, is take out you AS status, or make a booking (until seat map stage) and then see how few seats you have access to. With OWE you will have significantly more seats than Gold or below. Just that QF will restrict until T-80 a set of seats for CL and P1, and some for Plats. So you will have preferential seat allocation as per your benefit, just that QF prefers some more than others ;-) and ensures that those high value pax who book late have access to some of the seats they may prefer.
Old Jul 19, 2023, 7:04 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by Koru Flyer
Ö.Just that QF will restrict until T-80 a set of seats for CL and P1, and some for Plats. So you will have preferential seat allocation as per your benefit, just that QF prefers some more than others ;-) and ensures that those high value pax who book late have access to some of the seats they may prefer.
Given that the QF FF program is poor value for redemptions when compared with AA and AS, there has to be some sort of sweetener for QF FF members..
DiamondMile likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2023, 4:45 pm

Programs: QF WP
QF plat (OWE) here. Row 11 (and 12) shows as blocked for me also

Most of the best J seats arenít available until t-80 even for QFís own (common or garden variety) emeralds. They are reserved for P1/CL etc

on reflection, having looked at the actual seat map, Iím not surprised it shows as blocked for you and I. The first row is pretty much always blocked at this stage

Mwenenzi and Koru Flyer like this.
Old Jul 19, 2023, 5:00 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by nancypants
QF plat (OWE) here. Row 11 (and 12) shows as blocked for me also

Most of the best J seats arenít available until t-80 even for QFís own (common or garden variety) emeralds. They are reserved for P1/CL etc

on reflection, having looked at the actual seat map, Iím not surprised it shows as blocked for you and I. The first row is pretty much always blocked at this stage
I didn't think QF's seating system by Altea distinguished between QF WP and OWE. Thanks for confirming.

Prior to P1, Emerald City was indeed for OWE, however just like with DOM, P1 have access to rows that WP do not.
nancypants and Princess fiona like this.
Old Jul 19, 2023, 5:21 pm

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by m0hamed
I didn't think QF's seating system by Altea distinguished between QF WP and OWE.
My wife is QF plat and I am BA GGL (OWE) and there are times we are on the same flights but separate PNRs and I can pass on categorically that she has better access (better being forward) to seats in Y and J than I do. All sorts itself out at T-80

and for what it is worth, I have better access to seats when I put in my OWE versus my QF Gold(life)

Plat > OWE > QF Gold

which seems reasonable to me.

KF
og and Mwenenzi like this.
Old Jul 19, 2023, 7:56 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Koru Flyer
My wife is QF plat and I am BA GGL (OWE) and there are times we are on the same flights but separate PNRs and I can pass on categorically that she has better access (better being forward) to seats in Y and J than I do. All sorts itself out at T-80

and for what it is worth, I have better access to seats when I put in my OWE versus my QF Gold(life)

Plat > OWE > QF Gold

which seems reasonable to me.

KF
Thanks for the clarification on WP vs OWE.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.