Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

QF blocking business class seat [allocation] despite OW status

QF blocking business class seat [allocation] despite OW status

Old Feb 25, 2024, 12:54 pm

Programs: CX Gold (lost Diamond after 15 years), AA Gold, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
Well QF and NZ are simply looking after their own Elite status holders - annoying perhaps, but isnít that the whole purpose of gaining/maintaining staus?

Donít worry, even as a QF Gold I suffer with limited access to the seatmapÖ
I get it. That is why I am choosing when possible United Polaris vs Qantas business. Clearly their choice of benefits, and clearly my choice who I fly with.
I know there are many other factors, such as schedules, fares, service, equipment, but on the transpacific routes I purchased Polaris seemed an acceptable alternative, and because of the seat blocking, my choice,
Thai-Kiwi likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2024, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by traveler18
It is a matter of choice. Paying full fare refundable and they offer limited choice. If there is an alternative that offers more choice on items I think important, I will choose someone other Qantas (as I am doing on the transpacific flights).
I am considering Virgin Australia on some segments in my itinerary vs Quantas. The advantage of full fare refundable tickets.
Domestically I think there are bigger things to consider than seat availability in Australia. Things such as network reliability and lounge situations. The whole network shudders if MEL or SYD so much as sneezes and of late VA is a fair bit worse at recovering their services.

As for QF seats, I would say that there is tangible benefits to Row 1 and2 over 3 in that meals may run out by row 3 and you're served last.
VA does open more seating selection up from memory in J than QF. QF also does open up all their seats at T-80 and that often means Row 1 becomes available as that's only available to WP1 / CL and theres reasonable odds there's not a WP1/CL in J (sometimes they're in Y as well as row 4 is plenty decent on short hops).

Personally I'd consider the other factors more than seat availability for Aus Domestic.
Koru Flyer likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2024, 2:43 pm

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by traveler18
Most flights in Qantas I could only book last row on business as everything else is blocked (and in most I am the only passenger so far in the cabin).
As a CX Diamond/OWE you should be able to see Row 2 & 3 domestically in J. Are you sure your FF number is in correctly, you could check on MMB on QF website. And also internationally as a OWE you can see most available seats, except those blocked for CL/P1. It takes a few mins for the status to sometimes drop through (or may require ticketing), so you may need to make the booking then grab a coffee and log into MMB post ticketing to pick a better seat.

Row 1 vs 2 is whether you like the space in front of you open, or whether you like somewhere to store your stuff under the seat in front. AC side is better than DF due to order of service.
Row 3 runs the very large risk that all that is left is some kale salad or warm egg tarte. If you like kale and warms eggs then no risk of taking row 3. Also if you would like two glasses of something - whether stronger or sparkling water, then row 3 also runs the risk on the triangle routes of not getting a second serving, as you may receive your meal on descent.

KF
Old Feb 28, 2024, 4:00 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Row 1 can have overhead bag storage problems if row 2 pax get the overheads first.
Old Feb 28, 2024, 10:05 pm

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
As a datapoint to my own comment. Just booked a domestic Y flight on a fairly booked out flight (Only flex available) on the website
In the online booking process, where it asks for name, after putting in my BA OWE number, I could only select one (1) seat. When immediately after payment I went to MMB I could then see an additional 1/4 of seats available including some prime forward aisle and windows.
(I have also observed the same in 737 J where I see row 3 at booking and then row 2+3 later).

This is different to QF status holders, as I find they can see all available (based on status) seats in the booking process. Perhaps it takes some extra time, for status to drop down, and if I waited a few mins on that pre payment screen it may have changed?

So I do not think it is correct that OWE are seeing less seats than a QFWP, but there is a time effect.

KF
Old Feb 29, 2024, 7:03 am

Programs: QF P1 LTG SQ PPS IHG Diamond Elite
P1 on QF and PPS on SQ get access to the first row on some aircraft
This row can have significantly more legroom (the dreaded side sleeping SQ problem)
It is automatically offered when I make bookings online or through a travel agent after the have entered my FF details

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.