Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

QF blocking business class seat [allocation] despite OW status

QF blocking business class seat [allocation] despite OW status

Old Feb 2, 2024, 9:50 pm

Programs: MB Silver, HA Pualani Gold
Can I ask how it went for you at T-80, jarodmc ?
Old Feb 18, 2024, 10:21 am

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Is T-80 days or hours before departure? I have an upcoming SCL-SYD, which is showing the strange 789 seatmap below...strange because many rows are just completely missing...
Old Feb 18, 2024, 10:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

There is nothing strange in relation to that flight. The rows that are shown are available to those booked on the Qantas flight - the other rows are available for those booked on the LA flight number

With the codeshare on that route, the flight numbers are treated as 2 completely separate flights

T-80 is referring to 80 hours before departure
shuuy and DiamondMile like this.
Old Feb 18, 2024, 10:35 am

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
There is nothing strange in relation to that flight. The rows that are shown are available to those booked on the Qantas flight - the other rows are available for those booked on the LA flight number

With the codeshare on that route, the flight numbers are treated as 2 completely separate flights

T-80 is referring to 80 hours before departure
Wonderful - thanks - and what a strange way to handle a codeshare. I assume if QF sells all their allocation and LA doesn't the LA seats will be available closer in as well? I'll be online at 80 hours and hope I can snag a window in that case.
Old Feb 18, 2024, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by ironmanjt
Wonderful - thanks - and what a strange way to handle a codeshare. I assume if QF sells all their allocation and LA doesn't the LA seats will be available closer in as well? I'll be online at 80 hours and hope I can snag a window in that case.
I wouldn't make that assumption - think of them as 2 separate flights
I would suspect that at the airport on the day, things may be possible if needed
Old Feb 18, 2024, 11:31 am

I wouldn't make that assumption - think of them as 2 separate flights
I would suspect that at the airport on the day, things may be possible if needed
Regardless, plenty of seats on the QF side showing blocked still, so I'll hope one of those is still available at T-80....or that my AS status match comes through and that might allow me to select one now as an emerald.
Old Feb 18, 2024, 11:44 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Back in the day QF codeshare on OZ metal SYD-ICN the seat allocation was left hand side for OZ and right hand side for QF.
Old Feb 18, 2024, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
Back in the day QF codeshare on OZ metal SYD-ICN the seat allocation was left hand side for OZ and right hand side for QF.
Ah yes. I flew SYD-ICN on this flight and was mightily confused until the 'penny dropped' how QF were managing this.
Old Feb 18, 2024, 7:18 pm

Same concept applied on South African codeshares
Old Feb 19, 2024, 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
Ah yes. I flew SYD-ICN on this flight and was mightily confused until the 'penny dropped' how QF were managing this.
Same concept applied on South African codeshares
The theory being, I understand, that the airlines in codeshare price their seats independently. So, in effect, they are supposed to be competing on price, while sharing the operating cost of the flight. For this to work, they need to actually divide the inventory in some way (and may as well divide the seat allocations, let each airline do what it wants with them). And once e.g. QF inventory is gone, it's gone, you have to buy from the codeshare partner or pick another flight.
Old Feb 19, 2024, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Way off topic.
Originally Posted by cauchy
The theory being, I understand, that the airlines in codeshare price their seats independently. So, in effect, they are supposed to be competing on price, while sharing the operating cost of the flight. For this to work, they need to actually divide the inventory in some way (and may as well divide the seat allocations, let each airline do what it wants with them). And once e.g. QF inventory is gone, it's gone, you have to buy from the codeshare partner or pick another flight.
A lot of variations for codeshares. By B747-437B in 2009
Originally Posted by B747-437B
There are more ways to structure a codeshare agreement than might be apparent on the surface. I've negotiated codeshares that were based upon "hard blocks", "soft blocks", "moving block", "free sales", "revenue sharing", "open sale", "sell and report" and various other systems.

In a "hard block", the operating carrier makes available a fixed number of seats to the marketing carrier. This is usually done on a fixed cost per seat basis. The marketing carrier then applies its own yield management to these seats and sells them in competition with the operating carrier. If the marketing carrier fails to sell all the seats, then they go empty.

In a "soft block", the marketing carrier reserves the right to return to the operating carrier any unsold seats at various given points in time. Their liability to the operating carrier is reduced accordingly. The payments due may vary depending on whether the operating carrier is able to resell the seats returned.

In a "moving block", the marketing carrier guarantees a minimum number of sales over a given period based upon inventory ranges made available by the operating carrier. These ranges may be fluid or prenegotiated or a combination of both depending on specific operational day.

In a "free sale", the marketing carrier sells the operating carrier's inventory without any restrictions at either mutually agreed fares or unilaterally set fares.

In an "open sale", the marketing carrier sells the operating carrier's inventory until the operating carrier stops them from selling any more.

In a "sell and report", the marketing carrier sells the operating carrier's inventory independent of the operating carrier's systems and simply updates the systems subsequently with details of sales completed.

In a "revenue sharing" system, the marketing carrier and the operating carrier share all costs and revenues in pre-determined proportions, irrespective of who the actual cost may be incurred by or where the revenue may have been generated. This is the system used by most alliances who have attained anti-trust immunity.

Beyond this there are further restrictions as to traffic rights and markets in which the codeshares may be marketed and the settlement procedures and whether surcharges may be applicable and literally hundreds of other possibilities.
Old Feb 21, 2024, 8:35 pm

Programs: CX Gold (lost Diamond after 15 years), AA Gold, Bonvoy Platinum
Booked several domestic flights for a forthcoming down under trip. In Qantas all fully refundable business airfares. On Air New Zealand refundable economy (no business offered).
Most flights in Qantas I could only book last row on business as everything else is blocked (and in most I am the only passenger so far in the cabin). On Air New Zealand, same thing.

I have One World CX Status Gold (lost Diamond this year), and in Star Alliance with ANA 2nd tier status. Non of the status helped as I learned on this thread

The Transpacific LAX to Melbourne was going to be Qantas business, but decided on UA Polaris since I can choose any seat. On the return, from Auckland, also chose UA Polaris, as I can choose any seat. (No status on UA)

I may switch some segments within Australia to Virgin Business if they allow seat choosing.

Disappointing that most business class seats blocked for full fare.
Old Feb 22, 2024, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by traveler18
Booked several domestic flights for a forthcoming down under trip. In Qantas all fully refundable business airfares. On Air New Zealand refundable economy (no business offered).
Most flights in Qantas I could only book last row on business as everything else is blocked (and in most I am the only passenger so far in the cabin). On Air New Zealand, same thing.

I have One World CX Status Gold (lost Diamond this year), and in Star Alliance with ANA 2nd tier status. Non of the status helped as I learned on this thread

The Transpacific LAX to Melbourne was going to be Qantas business, but decided on UA Polaris since I can choose any seat. On the return, from Auckland, also chose UA Polaris, as I can choose any seat. (No status on UA)

I may switch some segments within Australia to Virgin Business if they allow seat choosing.

Disappointing that most business class seats blocked for full fare.
Well QF and NZ are simply looking after their own Elite status holders - annoying perhaps, but isnít that the whole purpose of gaining/maintaining staus?

Donít worry, even as a QF Gold I suffer with limited access to the seatmapÖ
DiamondMile likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2024, 2:04 am

Originally Posted by traveler18
Most flights in Qantas I could only book last row on business as everything else is blocked (and in most I am the only passenger so far in the cabin).
You are able to get the choice of aisle or window in row 3 - what would make, say, row 2 so much better as to be concerned?
SYD_cida likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2024, 12:49 pm

Programs: CX Gold (lost Diamond after 15 years), AA Gold, Bonvoy Platinum
You are able to get the choice of aisle or window in row 3 - what would make, say, row 2 so much better as to be concerned?
It is a matter of choice. Paying full fare refundable and they offer limited choice. If there is an alternative that offers more choice on items I think important, I will choose someone other Qantas (as I am doing on the transpacific flights).
I am considering Virgin Australia on some segments in my itinerary vs Quantas. The advantage of full fare refundable tickets.

Last edited by traveler18; Feb 25, 2024 at 12:58 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.