Wiki Posts
Search

QF Seat selection on AA codeshare

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2023, 5:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH D, QFF, EB
QF Seat selection on AA codeshare

I have an AA ticketed trip with a couple of sectors on QF as AA codeshares. I have the separate PNRs for AA and QF. The QF PNR lets me review the full details, it has my BA Emerald status correctly shown, when I try to select the seats on the QF sectors it takes me all the way through selecting but when I try to complete, it takes me back to the begging of selecting seats again. I have tried the usual tricks of using AY and RJ websites but they do not see the itinerary using either the AA or QF PNRs.

Does anyone have any ideas to make the seat selections stick or do I have to try calling QF?

Thanks
Old Feb 10, 2023, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Are you fully logged out of any BA, AA and/or QF freq flyer programs?
Using only MMB?
Some times QF does not offer seat selection if X% of seats are already taken.
Phoning QF will take some patience, but may be the only way..
Old Feb 10, 2023, 7:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If you go to the AA site and attempt to select seats, does it allow it or does it say to go to the Qantas site?
Old Feb 10, 2023, 11:44 pm
Original Poster

I'm fully logged out of my accounts, even restarted the laptop. On the AA website although it shows all sectors including the QF reference for the QF floggts, when I try to select seats only the AA sectors show.

Oh well will try to call QF
Old Feb 11, 2023, 5:39 am

Programs: QF Platinum/LTG
Are the QF sectors domestic or international? Your BA status ought to allow seat selection for both.

Ironically, I recently used ba.com to get the AA PNR for a QF reward booking on AA metal. QF and RJ didn’t work for seat selection but I entered the QF PNR into BA and it showed me the AA PNR and a direct link to AA.com for seat selection!
Old May 14, 2023, 5:03 pm

Programs: AC, AA, TK, OW Emerald
AA-issued revenue ticket with one trans-Tasman segment on QF, booked as AA codeshare number.
After making the reservation I was able to pick a seat on the QF website and the seat shows when I look up the itinerary on both the QF and AA websites.
When I now try to change the seat on the QF website, I see an "Individual seat selection isn't available for this flight. Select a seat preference" message. Not that I necessarily need to change the seat, but it'd be nice to have the option.
Any workarounds available other than calling QF?

For reference, I have the same itinerary booked for a couple of months later, but on that itinerary (which is an award trip), the trans-Tasman is booked under the QF flight number. For that itinerary I am able to change seats.
Old May 14, 2023, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

With economy seats have read that QF restrict seat selection after 85% allocated.

At T-80 try again. If a B737 trans Tasman row 4 may be open for you. (better legroom)

QF link--> https://www.qantas.com/au/en/travel-...selection.html

Economy seating options
You can select your seat on Qantas operated flights when making your booking, or any time before you fly. The earlier you do so, the more choice you have. A charge may apply, depending on the seat type selected. Discover your Economy seating options with Qantas.

Complimentary seat selection
As a Qantas Frequent Flyer, enjoy complimentary standard seat selection when you book on any Qantas operated domestic or international flight departing Australia.* If your flight isn't originating in Australia and you're a Platinum One, Platinum, Gold or Silver member, you'll also receive complimentary standard seat selection.Check you meet the requirements and additional conditions for complimentary seat selection.
<snip>
Old May 14, 2023, 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
With economy seats have read that QF restrict seat selection after 85% allocated.

At T-80 try again. If a B737 trans Tasman row 4 may be open for you. (better legroom)

QF link--> https://www.qantas.com/au/en/travel-...selection.html
The seat allocation is far below 85%. Very few seats taken, although a fair number are blocked (but still far below 85%).
It's the "any time before you fly" part of the advertised "You can select your seat on Qantas operated flights when making your booking, or any time before you fly" that isn't working for me.
No seat map shown when I try to change my seat. Instead it goes straight to the "Individual seat selection isn't available for this flight. Select a seat preference" message.
Old May 14, 2023, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is that image from the QF site?
Sales may be 85%, but doesnt look like it. Many people do not chose a seat allocation. They wait until check-in.
The front economy rows are "blocked" for passengers with status. They open to all at T-80 hours.
Exit rows can be booked for a $ fee (no matter what status). Unusual they are shows X.
In my experience the very last rows on B737 TT flights only get allocated if the flight is full or are unaccompanied children.
AA code share may complicate it.
Old May 14, 2023, 9:40 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Sales may be 85%, but doesnt look like it. Many people do not chose a seat allocation. They wait until check-in.
The front economy rows are "blocked" for passengers with status. They open to all at T-80 hours.
Exit rows can be booked for a $ fee (no matter what status). Unusual they are shows X.
In my experience the very last rows on B737 TT flights only get allocated if the flight is full or are unaccompanied children.
First time I’ve seen a QF 737 seat map like that. Looks like it’s from EF. I’d have expected a strong scattering of “occupied” throughout the cabin and certainly not a solid cluster up front (unless it’s a group).
And relying on EF close in is dangerous because it may show unoccupied seats but QF may have stopped access but not show it as occupied or blocked - this happens when a centre seat in the first 9 rows (or so) is kept unoccupied for a high status pax as as a shadow. These being the very last to be allocated but not available for selection.
Old May 14, 2023, 10:10 pm

Expertflyer.
That is probably the case. I was able to choose a seat directly after booking, but I can't change it, even if I want to pay for a better seat now.
Hopefully it will work to pick a better seat at T-80, but it may require calling QF.
Originally Posted by og
And relying on EF close in is dangerous because it may show unoccupied seats but QF may have stopped access but not show it as occupied or blocked - this happens when a centre seat in the first 9 rows (or so) is kept unoccupied for a high status pax as as a shadow. These being the very last to be allocated but not available for selection.
The flight is still many months away.
Just for fun I went through the booking process for that specific flight, and the seats that EF displays as available are all available for allocation. But I can't change my existing seat.
Old May 14, 2023, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AirborneLocksmith
....The flight is still many months away.
Just for fun I went through the booking process for that specific flight, and the seats that EF displays as available are all available for allocation. But I can't change my existing seat.
When going through the booking process on the QF web site for that specific flight what does the QF seat map show? Do not need to do the final payment step.
I would ignore EF and use the operating airlines seat map (QF).

I have had good success moving to 4C-4D and 5C-5D, at T-80, and having the seat A/F shadow in the middle.
Old May 14, 2023, 10:35 pm

When going through the booking process on the QF web site for that specific flight what does the QF seat map show? Do not need to do the final payment step.
I would ignore EF and use the operating airlines seat map (QF).
The QF booking page agrees with EF. Seats that are displayed as occupied or blocked on EF are “unavailable” on the QF booking page, with the exception of the exit row seats that are displayed as “blocked” on EF but are available for a fee on the QF page.

(Seats in rows 4 to 7 are all showing as “unavailable,” but I couldn’t fit all rows into the screenshot.)
I understand that certain rows will be blocked until T-80, but the issue I have is that I can’t even switch between available seats. My seat reservation is there, but I can’t make any changes to it. Perhaps it is the AA codeshare number that causes the issue.

I have had good success moving to 4C-4D and 5C-5D, at T-80, and having the seat A/F shadow in the middle.
If the issue still hasn’t been resolved at T-80, I’ll have to call QF to get a seat in row 4, assuming they’re still available.

Last edited by AirborneLocksmith; May 14, 2023 at 10:56 pm
Old May 14, 2023, 11:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
I have a similar issue flying WLG-AKL-SYD(NZ)-HBA(QF) . The sector SYD-HBA is under a NZ codeshare. Not unexpectedly, I cannot do anything with this such as seat assignment etc on the app/web.

As a QF Gold, will calling Qantas after ~T-80 allow them to make a seat assignment, or am I condemned to wait until check-in at WLG?
even then, at WLG (or AKL) I suspect AirNZ won't get me a seat. But could I go to the QF desk at WLG (or AKL) to get a seat assigned? Worst case is the QP in SYD I suppose.....

Edited to add: My AirNZ (*A) ff# is in the booking, which needs to remains the case, so that probably doesn't help things regards my QF status allowing seat assignment.

Last edited by Thai-Kiwi; May 14, 2023 at 11:51 pm
Old May 16, 2023, 8:49 pm
Original Poster

QF are claiming that they do not allow seat selection on codeshare flights as the "seat maps do not match". I finally had a phone agent that was willing to try and select the seats for me (after spending a couple of minutes to say that they have never allowed seat selection for codeshares - this I was able to demonstrate is false as I have had several bookings through BA with QF codeshares that I could select seats). When she actually pulled up the flights and tried to select the seats she was receiving error messages and was only able to request a seat reservation rather than allocating it. I'm wondering if this is an issue between QF and certain airlines or a relatively recent change by QF.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.