'On Request' Award Seats

Old Nov 21, 22, 7:07 am
Ambassador: Emirates
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: QF P1 + LTS, EK Gold, BAEC Gold, QR Gold, IHG Ambassador
'On Request' Award Seats

Well, having had QR cancel some flights LHR-DOH-MEL and refund the points and taxes I'm now stuck with some return flights.

One agent has helpfully said that they can submit a request for conversion to award seats if certain buckets are available. Any WP or P1 had experience or success in bagging an 'on request' award seat? I require 3....!
Old Nov 21, 22, 3:20 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by sydtogla View Post
Well, having had QR cancel some flights LHR-DOH-MEL and refund the points and taxes I'm now stuck with some return flights.

One agent has helpfully said that they can submit a request for conversion to award seats if certain buckets are available. Any WP or P1 had experience or success in bagging an 'on request' award seat? I require 3....!
I would suggest locking it ever you can. Its highly unlikely QR will come to the party.

I would also request QF release awards for you on their own metal though these are blocked for June, July & August.
Old Nov 24, 22, 5:26 am
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

QR are not coming up with the goods.

QF have stated that they are responsible for rebooking and will have to release rewards to make it happen although I'm now being told only Red and saver tickets can be converted....Surely there is something they can do in this instance?

I'm absolutely refusing to simply be refunded as I have hotels and return travel all in place.
Old Nov 24, 22, 6:07 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
QR are not coming up with the goods.

QF have stated that they are responsible for rebooking and will have to release rewards to make it happen although I'm now being told only Red and saver tickets can be converted....Surely there is something they can do in this instance?

I'm absolutely refusing to simply be refunded as I have hotels and return travel all in place.
For Y or J or F?

Usually there are certain buckets required for a manual requests.
Old Nov 24, 22, 6:53 am
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

J in Jan
Old Nov 24, 22, 3:38 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

J in Jan
There needs to be I Class for a WP/P1 award seat release to be requested from the droid. Jan is peak travel season as well.

QF only have to offer a refund if QR won't reaccommodate you to make you "whole." It's very inconvenient and not what you would like to hear. I've had this happen on awards with CX and LH and had to find my own alternative flights.

They are loading some awards for Dec/Jan so perhaps start looking for one or two and fly the third separately. You may also considering flying QF to the US then getting to Europe from there, that's what I'm doing in Summer.

My suggestion would be look to position to Asia and book a cheap J fare on any carrier ex BKK, HKG or DPS. You may find CX availability.
Old Nov 24, 22, 4:36 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
The sad reality is that award flights carry seemingly more risk than cash tickets. First to be bumped, little support if flights are cancelled etc. You really need to have thought through the Plan B scenarios. Its not just QF, but AA miles tickets suffer the same sorry, there are no rebooking options but well happily offer a refund
sydtogla likes this.
Old Nov 24, 22, 5:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

if QR has cancelled a booking out of Lonfon, then it is responsible under the UK implementation of EC261 to provide flights.

You are entitled to "re-routing, under comparable transport conditions, to their final destination at the earliest opportunity"

A refund is one of the options for a cancellation, but it is the passemger's decision on whether to take rerouting or refund. If you did anything that coulf have been an acceptance of a refund, then you are out of luck, but if the refund was given without any action by you, then go back and press for airline to meet its legal liability
Old Nov 25, 22, 3:47 am
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
if QR has cancelled a booking out of Lonfon, then it is responsible under the UK implementation of EC261 to provide flights.

You are entitled to "re-routing, under comparable transport conditions, to their final destination at the earliest opportunity"

A refund is one of the options for a cancellation, but it is the passemger's decision on whether to take rerouting or refund. If you did anything that coulf have been an acceptance of a refund, then you are out of luck, but if the refund was given without any action by you, then go back and press for airline to meet its legal liability
Thanks Dave.

I was able to find numerous I tickets throughout the following week in Jan ex-LHR. QF have now put me on request for seats LHR-PER-MEL just a few days later. It's a good turnout but they cannot process the request until QR confirm they dont have availability. 5 days and counting.

EDIT: Now rebooked. QF did well.
Koru Flyer likes this.

Last edited by sydtogla; Nov 25, 22 at 5:57 am
Old Nov 30, 22, 8:54 pm

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Gold
I do love how we say "QF did well" when all they actually did was meet their legal obligation under EC261.

I agree it is an important relief but the way in which QF operate versus EU carriers in terms of EC261 is really poor. Although the way that QR are behaving is similarly curiously poor.

KF
LondonAussie likes this.
Old Dec 1, 22, 1:52 am

Originally Posted by Koru Flyer View Post
I do love how we say "QF did well" when all they actually did was meet their legal obligation under EC261.

I agree it is an important relief but the way in which QF operate versus EU carriers in terms of EC261 is really poor. Although the way that QR are behaving is similarly curiously poor.

KF
QF had no obligation under EC261
Old Dec 1, 22, 7:46 am

QF were the issuing carrier acting under their contract of carriage as a travel agent. So we’re obligated to act on behalf of the pax to sort out the rebooking, and apply the passengers EC261 rights from QR. And from the above they seemed to have acted in accordance.
Old Dec 1, 22, 12:23 pm

QF were the issuing carrier acting under their contract of carriage as a travel agent. So were obligated to act on behalf of the pax to sort out the rebooking, and apply the passengers EC261 rights from QR. And from the above they seemed to have acted in accordance.
Interesting. Slightly OT but I have a AA award booking on RJ over Christmas LHR> BKK and RJ have been downgrading/cancelling many flights from LHR recently.

If RJ cancel, AA will be on the hook to get me to BKK?
Old Dec 1, 22, 2:54 pm

QF were the issuing carrier acting under their contract of carriage as a travel agent. So we’re obligated to act on behalf of the pax to sort out the rebooking, and apply the passengers EC261 rights from QR. And from the above they seemed to have acted in accordance.
No it wasn't. The operating carrier (QR) is responsible under EC261 - Qantas is nothing more than a travel agent in this booking

Originally Posted by SW7London View Post
Interesting. Slightly OT but I have a AA award booking on RJ over Christmas LHR> BKK and RJ have been downgrading/cancelling many flights from LHR recently.

If RJ cancel, AA will be on the hook to get me to BKK?
No - it is solely the operating carrier that is responsoible under EC261

From EC261 Article 5

Originally Posted by EC261
1. In case of cancellation of a flight, the passengers concerned shall:
(a) be offered assistance by the operating air carrier in accordance with Article 8; and
(b) be offered assistance by the operating air carrier in accordance with Article 9(1)(a) and 9(2), as well as, in event of rerouting when the reasonably expected time of departure ofthe new flight is at least the day after the departure as it was planned for the cancelled flight, the assistance specified in Article 9(1)(b) and 9(1)(c); and
(c) have the right to compensation by the operating air carrier in accordance with Article 7, unless:

(i) they are informed of the cancellation at least two weeks before the scheduled time of departure; or
.(ii) they are informed of the cancellation between two weeks and seven days before the scheduled time of departure and are offered re-routing, allowing them to depart no more than two hours before the scheduled time of departure and to reach their final destination less than four hours after the scheduled time of arrival; or
(iii) they are informed of the cancellation less than seven days before the scheduled time of departure and are offered re-routing, allowing them to depart no more than one hour before the scheduled time of departure and to reach their final destination less than two hours after the scheduled time of arrival.
SW7London likes this.

Last edited by Dave Noble; Dec 1, 22 at 3:00 pm
Old Dec 1, 22, 5:32 pm

Dave, I get that. But what happens when you have a ticket booked through QF on QR ( or any other carrier). Just like with a travel agency booking they will say they cannot touch it, and you must go back to the issuing carrier or agent.

So yes of course QR is responsible for finding a seat, but QF is responsible for sorting it out either through arguing as your agent on your behalf with QR, or finding an option on their plane. Or rebooking or refund as per regs. The choice is up to the customer.

So to break it down, QR as the operating carrier are responsible under EC261, QF as the agent as responsible on behalf of the pax to instruct QR of their obligation to find a suitable replacement under EC261.

back to the point, QF were just doing their job as required under the contract of carriage. And QR were acting in accordance with EC261. Everyone did their job. No more, no less.

the problem is that QF is often all too fast due to location or inexperience to go, oh sorry about that we need to canx and refund and well there are no award seats so we can charge the date to X or would be happy to sell you a ticket for Y. Thereby erroneously taking away someone’s EC261 rights. And yes, QF should like any agent acting on behalf of the customer be aware and trained on EC261 rights. And have systems in place. Which as we can see from the above, they do. But fail often to use.

you may have better luck, but in all my years of travel, I have never had the operating carrier willing outside of T24 take over a booking ticketed by someone else (another carrier or agent) - AA being the curious exception who you can pay $50 for them to take it over. And not putting points upgrades into the mix as an exception.

KF

Search this Thread