Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Qantas eyes nonstop flights to O'Hare and Miami

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2022, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward

https://www.executivetraveller.com/n...-chicago-miami

https://www.thenextmiami.com/qantas-...alia-to-miami/

Proposing MIA and ORD as Project Sunrise flights in the future. I'll believe it when I see it!!
Old Sep 9, 2022, 10:45 am

Chicago is a no brainer. I think ticket sales had already started for the Brisbane flights. But I imagine nonstops to Sydney and Melbourne would fare even better. And for the record, the Auckland nonstop has been successful. As for Miami, I’m not sure it would have same connectivity as ORD.
Old Sep 9, 2022, 11:23 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by trvlr70
…As for Miami, I’m not sure it would have same connectivity as ORD.
Isn’t MIA “ground zero” for resurrection and recuperation flights? Pax get wheelchairs to get express boarding but have miraculous recoveries in flight so they can bounce out of their seats and walk off ??
SW7London, Coffee drinker and TPJ like this.
Old Sep 9, 2022, 4:02 pm

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
Cant see this happening with the first 12 A350s, so its a long way into the future.
Suggest its more a deflection from recent media issues.
turtlemichael likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2022, 1:41 am

Originally Posted by moa999
Cant see this happening with the first 12 A350s, so its a long way into the future.
Suggest its more a deflection from recent media issues.
I think that growing the potential international footprint of Qantas justifies adding another $2 million to the annual bonus pot.
Then in 3 years time, shelving the expansion and avoiding potential increased losses will be good reason to add another $2 million to the annual bonus pot and while they are at it another 30 million share options as well.
QF Lad likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2022, 10:49 pm

Programs: QF, HH
Miami might make sense for holiday traffic, perhaps, and the gateway to the Caribbean.

I'm curious to know what it's like for staff on those ultra-long haul flights. Must be quite the slog for flight crew and flight attendants.
Old Sep 20, 2022, 3:48 am

Programs: Qantas, Virgin
Originally Posted by Catweazle
Miami might make sense for holiday traffic, perhaps, and the gateway to the Caribbean.
With LATAM out of Oneworld, Qantas may be looking at ways to get passengers to South and Central America without going through SCL, and via MIA onto AA is it.
Catweazle and dvs7310 like this.
Old Sep 21, 2022, 1:27 am

Originally Posted by ButFli
With LATAM out of Oneworld, Qantas may be looking at ways to get passengers to South and Central America without going through SCL, and via MIA onto AA is it.
Or Hub these out of AKL more direct do have to head north to head south again.
Spiff likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2022, 11:15 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Originally Posted by ButFli
Who wants to do 17 hours to MIA, to do another 9-12 hours to GRU, GIG/SDU, or EZE?

I don't see Miami happening - and if it does, it won't be profitable. ORD, perhaps so.
Old Nov 13, 2022, 4:01 am

Programs: QF, HH
Frankly, I'd prefer SCL over MIA anyday.
Old Nov 13, 2022, 4:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Qantas(~Air Sydney) is flying SYD-SCL now 4 days a week QF27. QF3877 is the code share on LATAM
ORD has been scheduled before and cancelled. Would expect that next, but not for months-years.
But QF only have about 50% of AU-USA seats flights compared to pre CV19--> Australia-USA Flights at 50% of Pre-COVID Capacity

Catweazle likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2022, 12:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
So would anyone who's been to MIA before as an international arrival. But SCL isn't a gateway to nearly as many places. Your LATAM connections from SCL are primarily just South America while AA connections via MIA are the entirety of AA's South American (vast) network PLUS the entire Caribbean network, PLUS the entire Central American network. There's not a comparison. Sure SYD-SCL-EZE is more convenient than SYD-MIA-EZE, but if you're going further north then it's definitely not more convenient than SYD-MIA-SXM (who doesn't want to experience planes landing right over their head).
Catweazle likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2022, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by seanp7
Who wants to do 17 hours to MIA, to do another 9-12 hours to GRU, GIG/SDU, or EZE?

I don't see Miami happening - and if it does, it won't be profitable. ORD, perhaps so.
I am pretty sure about that. It's a very long flight. Sure, why not? I can do exercise and walk around inside the aircraft.

You have do stretch your legs and not sit on the plane for 17 hours. That's too long!
Old Nov 15, 2022, 4:55 pm

Programs: QF WP LTG, HHonors Diamond, NZ Gold
Originally Posted by trvlr70
Chicago is a no brainer. I think ticket sales had already started for the Brisbane flights. But I imagine nonstops to Sydney and Melbourne would fare even better.
I was booked MEL-BNE-ORD for Sep 2020 (BNE-ORD was QF85) as part of an AY RTW fare until the c-word intervened. MEL-ORD would be much preferable from my perspective but suspect it will be MEL-SYD-ORD by Sydney Airways ...

Regards,

BD
Old Nov 16, 2022, 4:29 pm

Great news about these long-haul flights, recently my experience on these long-haul flights was mixed. Flight from LAX to SYD was delayed because crew got stuck at security check, only one computer was working to check the passenger's passport details who are in transit at LAX, there were 30 to 40 people standing in the line took almost 30-40 mins to process this and then another long queue before boarding the flight. This was around 11:40pm PST which was 2:30am EST, in my case I have already travelled 16hours from east coast to LAX. Ground crew at LAX don't how to handle. It is not fair to make passengers stand in the line for 45 minutes before 15 hours flight. Food options was limited, no vegan option unless you have preselected. Then flight was diverted to Brisbane because they ran out of fuel. No food service from Brisbane to Sydney. Crew on the flight were outstanding.
My return flight was from MEL to LAX. Again, ground crew did a lousy job in boarding process, they said boarding starts at 10am, so all passengers were standing in the line, finally they started boarding at 10:20am. I have noticed old couple standing in the line, one of them couldn't stand for so long took a nearby seat leaving the spouse in the line and the ground staff turned blind eye. Flight was left ontime and reached LAX early. Food was limited no vegan options. They had plenty of snacks on this flight. Crew was awesome.
N830MH likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.