Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

JQ domestic to QF intl connection at MEL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2022, 3:12 pm
Original Poster

Hello,

I have an upcoming booking which is a domestic JQ flight connecting to an international QF flight at MEL. It is booked all on one ticket using QF points (classic reward). QF international flight is in business.

I had a few questions I was hoping folks could help clear up:
1) Will JQ issue me a QF boarding pass at my origin airport? Or will I have to go to the QF check-in counter at MEL?
2) Will JQ check luggage through or will I need to reclaim it at MEL?
3) How much time do I realistically need for this with a checked bag? How about carry-on only? As booked, I have 2h15m.

Thanks!

​​​​
Old Sep 5, 2022, 3:52 pm
Original Poster

I think I was able to find answers myself ... sounds like (1) no, (2) no, per https://www.qantas.com/agencyconnect...d-baggage.html and (3) basically as much time as I'd be comfortable with arriving to MEL from ground transportation, since I would have to pick up luggage.
Old Sep 5, 2022, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As your first flight is JQ
https://www.jetstar.com/au/en/help/a...hecked-baggage
https://www.jetstar.com/au/en/help/a...gage-transfers

With poor in time performance by all AU airlines 2:15hr is not a lot with an international flight.
For an international flight a document check is needed in addition to the boarding pass. Then T2 security & emigration controls

At MEL JQ is in T4 and QFi T2, near T1. So need to walk from one end of the airport to the other. Best to go up 1 level at T4 and keep walking
https://www.melbourneairport.com.au/...formation/Maps
https://www.melbourneairport.com.au/...senger-journey

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Sep 5, 2022 at 4:09 pm
Old Sep 5, 2022, 4:18 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
That connex time seems terribly tight. I wouldn’t do it especially since the important flight is the second one. JQ are cancelling plenty of flights in recent weeks. Delays getting baggage onto the carousel and then carting them up to T2 sounds like a bad way start a trip. And you still need to make the check in / bag drop closing times at International. But on one ticket you should be looked after ..
Old Sep 5, 2022, 5:03 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice! Based on this, I'm opting to drop the JQ fight from this booking and instead book a separate QF flight to get me to MEL. I'll have 2h35m connection, plus as I understand it since this will be QF->QF (even though separate PNRs) I will receive all boarding passes at my origin, and bags will be checked through to final destination. So I'm hoping this is a more comfortable connection.
Old Sep 5, 2022, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by brian77
...I have an upcoming booking which is a domestic JQ flight connecting to an international QF flight at MEL. It is booked all on one ticket using QF points (classic reward). QF international flight is in business.​​​​
Thanks for the advice! Based on this, I'm opting to drop the JQ fight from this booking and instead book a separate QF flight to get me to MEL. I'll have 2h35m connection, plus as I understand it since this will be QF->QF (even though separate PNRs) I will receive all boarding passes at my origin, and bags will be checked through to final destination. So I'm hoping this is a more comfortable connection.
Be very very extremely careful in the changing the JQ-QF award booking (as another thread of yours). Would not just no show the JQ flight.
QF to QF less risk (and less walking). But still a risk. If more than 2:35hr possible would go for that.
Old Sep 5, 2022, 5:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Be very very extremely careful in the changing the JQ-QF award booking (as another thread of yours). Would not just no show the JQ flight.
QF to QF less risk (and less walking). But still a risk. If more than 2:35hr possible would go for that.
Yes, I just called in to have them drop the JQ segment so that I'm not no-showing it. It appears they did it correctly, though I'm still waiting for ticket re-issue.

I moved the first flight earlier as well so I'll now have over 3 hours.
Old Sep 5, 2022, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, I just called in to have them drop the JQ segment so that I'm not no-showing it. It appears they did it correctly, though I'm still waiting for ticket re-issue.

I moved the first flight earlier as well so I'll now have over 3 hours.
Hope they reissue the ticket. At least its a QF flight. Best of luck.
3:00hrs less risk. More time in the lounge if it alls goes to plan.
Old Sep 6, 2022, 4:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Hope they reissue the ticket. At least its a QF flight. Best of luck.
3:00hrs less risk. More time in the lounge if it alls goes to plan.
It took another call, but they did ticket it and it looks good both on qantas.com and on CMT. Surprisingly, the agent was able to do something that instantly caused the ticket to be issued ... whenever I've had to do this before, they always had to put me on hold to call someone else about it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.