Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

First-time QF flyer query regarding SYD-BLR route

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First-time QF flyer query regarding SYD-BLR route

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2022, 12:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF Gold, SQ Gold
Question First-time QF flyer query regarding SYD-BLR route

Hello!
Long-time lurker and first-time poster here. Please let me know if this is the right forum for the following query.

I travel often between BOM/DEL/BLR and SYD (am based in SYD) and so far I have been an SQ loyalist for the convenience of the *A network on SQ,AI and UK(not *A but transferable from SQ).
However, I have succumbed to the Spirit of Australia and have booked a return on the newly announced SYD-BLR nonstop on 16/09 (outbound) and 18/09 (inbound) as it seemed like this new service was made almost for me given how conveniently it is timed.
I have never flown QF before, and given the recent issues with the airline I am quite worried about this short trip. To add to my anxiety, on the Qantas website, both outbound and inbound flights are "unavailable for seat selection at this time". Is this a normal occurrence on new QF services? Should I be worried? What advice/tips would you give in order to be prepared for any issues?
Thanks! Any help appreciated.
Old Aug 28, 2022, 12:14 am

Programs: VA Silver, QF FF, Priority Club
Does the fare you purchased allow free seat selection? Not all classes of fare within economy, for instance, allow it if you have not paid for it.
BOMSYDFF likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2022, 12:18 am
Original Poster

Fare class is Y, flex economy. I am guessing it should allow seat selection?
Old Aug 28, 2022, 12:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

BOMSYDFF Welcome to FT
Originally Posted by BOMSYDFF
Long-time lurker and first-time poster here. Please let me know if this is the right forum for the following query.

I travel often between BOM/DEL/BLR and SYD (am based in SYD) and so far I have been an SQ loyalist for the convenience of the *A network on SQ,AI and UK(not *A but transferable from SQ).

However, I have succumbed to the Spirit of Australia and have booked a return on the newly announced SYD-BLR nonstop on 16/09 (outbound) and 18/09 (inbound) as it seemed like this new service was made almost for me given how conveniently it is timed.
I have never flown QF before, and given the recent issues with the airline I am quite worried about this short trip. To add to my anxiety, on the Qantas website, both outbound and inbound flights are "unavailable for seat selection at this time". Is this a normal occurrence on new QF services? Should I be worried? What advice/tips would you give in order to be prepared for any issues?

Thanks! Any help appreciated.
Originally Posted by BOMSYDFF
Fare class is Y, flex economy. I am guessing it should allow seat selection?

From https://www.qantas.com/au/en/frequen......-types.html Flexible Economy fare class will be B H or Y. That is a higher economy fare
Y can also be used as generic economy

If a lot of bookings for the flight QF may have suspended seat selection.
Keep looking as the flight get closer. And at T-80 (80hrs before scheduled departure)

https://www.qantas.com/nc/en/travel-...selection.html
Seat reservations
You can select your seat on Qantas operated flights+ any time after making your booking. The earlier you select your seat, the more choice you have. Simply select your seats on qantas.com or via the Qantas App.

Standard seat selection is complimentary when:
  • travelling on any Qantas operated domestic service,
  • travelling internationally in Economy on a Saver or Flex fare,
  • travelling internationally in First, Business or Premium Economy,
  • travelling internationally as a Platinum One, Platinum, Gold or Silver Qantas Frequent Flyer or equivalent oneworld and Emirates Skywards Frequent Flyer,
  • travelling internationally as a Bronze Qantas Frequent Flyer on any Qantas operated flight when you book directly with Qantas,
  • travelling on an Economy Classic Flight Reward, or
  • on the same booking and travelling with any of the above mentioned travellers.
TA site--->https://www.qantas.com/agencyconnect...ct-a-seat.html

Not much time on the ground in India. Enjoy the trip.
BOMSYDFF likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2022, 12:44 am
Original Poster

Lightbulb

Thank you! And appreciate the clarification. I have booked the fare directly on Qantas website in Flex Economy (Y) as a Bronze (signed up right before booking). So it should allow me to choose seat. However, it is unavailable. I am not worried about the seat selection as much as much as what it could be a symptom of a bigger issue with this launch?
Old Aug 28, 2022, 12:58 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
It looks like the SYD-BLR is heavily booked. As such, seat allocations are commonly unavailable liable until last minute (or 80 hrs prior).
BOMSYDFF likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.