QF announces SYD-AKL-JFK

Old Aug 29, 2022, 6:25 am

Programs: Qantas Platinum (Oneworld Emerald)
If I read it right, their main goal of this SYD-AKL-JFK flight is to swap out the LAX stopover to JFK with a nicer experience transiting AKL instead

Personally I thought LAX worked alright on the return, it's just the inbound into the US that wasn't so fun having to collect bags and re-check etc.
Old Aug 29, 2022, 8:17 am

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
QF did have a planned-scheduled BNE-ORD flight, that was cancelled due to the pandemic.
SYD-ORD is longer than BNE-ORD. AKL-JFK would have been selected on the basis of length of flight.
-->A map from Great Circle Mapper - Great Circle Mapper
Now is no mention of ORD flights. Agree it would be a good destination. A route I would happily fly.
Bloggers
Great info. Thanks S
Old Aug 29, 2022, 8:32 am

Originally Posted by LondonAussie
If I read it right, their main goal of this SYD-AKL-JFK flight is to swap out the LAX stopover to JFK with a nicer experience transiting AKL instead

Personally I thought LAX worked alright on the return, it's just the inbound into the US that wasn't so fun having to collect bags and re-check etc.
For passengers from east coast US and Canada outbound flights from LAX depart at inconvenient times. ex: QF12 departs LAX at 11:30pm which is 2:30am +1 east coast time. For inbound flights they can do USA immigration and customs at Australia airports just like they do in Abu Dhabi.
Old Aug 29, 2022, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The LAX-JFK flight was timed so BNE-LAX, SYD-LAX. MEL-LAX passengers could take the LAX-JFK flight. Flight number same as LAX-SYD, but the aircraft was from the BNE-LAX

Originally Posted by srcsrc
For passengers from east coast US and Canada outbound flights from LAX depart at inconvenient times. ex: QF12 departs LAX at 11:30pm which is 2:30am +1 east coast time. For inbound flights they can do USA immigration and customs at Australia airports just like they do in Abu Dhabi.
No USA immigration-customs pre clearance in AU now. Nor can I see that happening any time soon (if at all)
Old Aug 30, 2022, 2:27 am

Though on JFK-LAX can't fly domestic only pax, only PAX going onto Aussie. Hubbing out of AKL means they can pick up and drop off people in AKL and JQ to other NZ cities in both directions. Should help with the load factors on all sectors of the route and linked flights from other Aussie cities.
Old Dec 15, 2022, 7:54 am

Looking to travel back to Australia from Europe in September next year, I am considering two routings: ZRH-JFK-SYD on LX/QF, or ZRH-ORD-YVR-SYD on LX/AC. The former will cost USD 1,000 more than the latter in J, but I'm drawn to it simply because I'd like to try out the new direct flight from JFK. I have never connected in Vancouver or Auckland—I assume that we'd have to disembark—before, nor have I ever travelled on Air Canada, so I have little basis for comparison. Would it be better just to save the $1,000? I know that QF 4 hasn't started yet, so I'm asking for speculation to some extent, but any thoughts or advice would be appreciated. Thank you.
Old Dec 15, 2022, 10:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

There is no way that I would spend an extra $1000 to do ZRH-JFK-AKL-SYD vs ZRH-ORD-YVR-SYD. Both require a connection in the USA and both have 2 stops. The only difference is that one continues on the same aeroplane , so a slightly lower risk of misconnect.

There are numerous 1 stop options from ZRH which don't require a large detour via USA. Could save 3500 miles by taking ZRH-FCO and then going on QF6 to Sydney for example - or a myriad of other options
Old Dec 22, 2022, 5:26 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
There is no way that I would spend an extra $1000 to do ZRH-JFK-AKL-SYD vs ZRH-ORD-YVR-SYD.
Yeah, you're probably right. (And it was an AUD 1,000 difference; I was mistaken about the currency.) I suppose it was just the novelty of trying the JFK-AKL route that attracted me. The ZRH-FCO-SYD route on QF 6 is also two stops, but there are indeed a myriad of one-stop options, like ZRH-SIN-SYD, for instance. (And, as it turns out, I'm usually based in FCO, in any case.) But I suppose it is the timings and the price that would sway me, rather than the detour, as, sometimes, the longer route is more convenient. That said, connecting in the US is seldom an advantage, so I do take your point.
Old Feb 21, 2023, 9:41 am

Well, I tried to book ZRH-JFK-SYD but couldn‘t, as QF3/4 was still awaiting regulatory approval, so I ended up on the ZRH-YVR-SYD routing instead.

I‘d still be interested in switching to QF4 if and when it gains approval, though, so any ideas of the timeline for this? It seems to be cutting it rather close, especially since the JFK flights are due to start in June.
Old Feb 22, 2023, 7:12 am

Programs: BA Gold, Priority Club Gold, Accor Silver, Virgin Australia Gold
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Why not? it has operated that route before?
At the moment certainly, QF don't do much out of Perth internationally, to busy being in dispute with the airport operators! However, one can only hope.
Old Feb 23, 2023, 9:10 pm

Programs: UA 1P, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by RatherGhastly
Well, I tried to book ZRH-JFK-SYD but couldnt, as QF3/4 was still awaiting regulatory approval, so I ended up on the ZRH-YVR-SYD routing instead.

Id still be interested in switching to QF4 if and when it gains approval, though, so any ideas of the timeline for this? It seems to be cutting it rather close, especially since the JFK flights are due to start in June.
I'd try the QF3/4 combo. Hey it is the longest fifth freedom flight I could think of.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.