Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Basic AU domestic questions e.g. QF/JQ differences, timing at airport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2022, 5:31 am
Original Poster

It has been many years since we have done domestic in AU so looking for some advice from the experts.

- If timings are important e.g. same day meetings in different cities, is there a clear choice between JQ and QF, or just what timing works? Either carrier more likely to get delayed or cancelled?
- How early do you need to arrive at the airport (SYD and MEL) for domestic - and does this differ JQ and QF? Flying hand lugagge only.
- Any "tricks" or "gotchas" to be aware of. E.g. from a quick look the JQ flex bundle seems a no-brainer; flexibility, can put into credit, up front seat, more hand luggage.

Thanks for any input
Old Aug 5, 2022, 9:00 am

Programs: Qantas
Keep in mind that JQ is a low cost carrier compared to the full service QF. I would no doubt fly QF over JQ any day. Also JQ leave from a separate terminal in SYD so if you have access to the QF lounge due to status you won't be able to use it unless you do 2 sets of security and change terminals. I fly through Sydney airport each week with hand carry only and 1 hour is plenty of time, however the Jetstar terminal does get busier and VA, REX and other airlines fly from there so id give it a bit of extra time.
Old Aug 5, 2022, 2:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I would take whichever has the better fare. On Jetstar, 1C is a great seat for legroom and for quick disembarkation at the destination. Compare total price for whar you want ( e.g. extra legtoom / baggage / timing ) and book accordingly

The only downside is if you would have lounge access via OW status is that you wouldn't get lounge access when travelling on JQ
Old Aug 6, 2022, 3:40 am
Original Poster

Thanks both. JQ is 1/4 of the price of QF and I am not bothered with lounge access (no status on OW and no time with my schedule). Will see how we go, but useful to know about the separate terminals.
Old Aug 6, 2022, 4:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ukflyer1
Thanks both. JQ is 1/4 of the price of QF and I am not bothered with lounge access (no status on OW and no time with my schedule). Will see how we go, but useful to know about the separate terminals.
https://www.sydneyairport.com.au/air...rting/domestic

For SYD-MEL also have
VA https://www.virginaustralia.com/au/en/
REX https://www.rex.com.au/
Old Aug 7, 2022, 7:21 am

Originally Posted by ukflyer1
Flying hand lugagge only.
- Any "tricks" or "gotchas" to be aware of
Just be aware of the differences in allowed carry on weight between JQ and QF.

But like you’ve said you’ve got that option to purchase extra carry on luggage for JQ if needed.
Old Aug 8, 2022, 6:24 am

Programs: VA Silver, QF FF, Priority Club
Also the chances of having your carry on weighed on JQ is high. If you’re over, you will be unmercifully charged.
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by JClasstraveller
Also the chances of having your carry on weighed on JQ is high. If you’re over, you will be unmercifully charged.
This. My last few domestic flights were on Virgin and Rex, no lounge access so I was in the main departures hall. There were many announcements over the tannoy for Jetstar pax on flight [insert number and destination] to ‘present themselves at the gate for their hand luggage to be weighed’.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 6:19 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
My last QF domestic flight (a few weeks ago) was completely full. The SYD gate staff were in a fluster organising themselves to patrol the crowd trying to grab excess bags for gate checking. Their criteria were "more than 2 bags" and "anything that looks bigger than normal". Bag weights were not an issue.
Old Aug 12, 2022, 7:03 am
Hvr

Programs: QF LTG:
If you're flying into/out of Melbourne JQ uses two airports. MEL the main airport, where it uses the distant T4.

And AVV Avalon, which is out in in the sticks.

You do not want to mix them up.
Old Aug 13, 2022, 8:02 pm

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
This. My last few domestic flights were on Virgin and Rex, no lounge access so I was in the main departures hall. There were many announcements over the tannoy for Jetstar pax on flight [insert number and destination] to ‘present themselves at the gate for their hand luggage to be weighed’.
my experience is if you ignore those announcements and wait until boarding, the bag weighers have moved onto the next flight

I usually book into row 1 on Jq and the flighties are very good at saving bin space so I don’t worry about it too much

personally I find JQ (in row 1) better than QF in economy (I am rarely if ever successful at getting row 4 on a 737, not sure if it’s necessity (DRW based) or mindset but QF has been disappointing of late
Old Aug 14, 2022, 4:34 am
Original Poster

Thanks all for the input. I flew JQ and it was uneventful, but nothing special.

They did indeed weigh bags and put stickers on them, and boarding was a zoo with a large queue. Seats were not spacious and were basic (not seat pocket etc) but the flight wasn't long so not really complaining. Plenty of announcements that aren't relevant, but that's what noise cancelling earphones are for!

For 1/4 of the price and the same timings I would use JQ again.
Mwenenzi and superboi like this.
Old Aug 14, 2022, 4:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For a 1/4 of the price can pay extra for an exit row/row 1 with more legroom. So a little more comfortable.
nancypants and codyc1515 like this.
Old Aug 16, 2022, 3:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
For a 1/4 of the price can pay extra for an exit row/row 1 with more legroom. So a little more comfortable.
Forgot to mention, I paid the extra for "up front" seating and ended up in row 4. The first row was already all taken, but thanks for the input.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.