Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Access QF Gold benefits under NZ codeshare?

Old Jul 2, 2022, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold

I have a TSV-BNE-WLG tix issued by NZ. The TSV-BNE sector is QF metal under a NZ codeshare.
Just Silver with NZ, but QF Gold. I am also TG Gold. This means the reciprocal lounge access won’t be available as I am not NZ Gold.

Whilst I have the QF PNR from my NZ e-tix, using MMB I can’t add in my QFF#, and so can’t associate the booking with my QF account and cannot make even a basic seat selection. QF web tells me to contact the travel agent concerned. I appreciate that codeshare flights have these foibles, but it was the only realistic method for an NZ booking WLG-SYD//TSV-WLG. I am on the 05:55am flight from TSV.

Questions:
Would telephoning QFF help with seat allocation at T-80?
Will the QF check-in staff be able to allocate me a decent seat (eg row 4) when I show them my QFF status?
Will lounge staff let me in with my QF BP and showing my Gold card?
Old Jul 2, 2022, 10:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Try the PNR in Finnair AY, Royal Jordain RJ and Qatar QR manage my booking. Some thing may happen.
And/or a Star Alliance ffp to get the Air NZ ffn out of the TSV-BNE reservation.
QF operated NZ marketed will not earn to QF ffp.
In times long gone I used to have 2 ffn in AU-NZ flights and NZ domestic Air NZ fights with different airlines(booked as single PNR on air NZ). Air NZ (by phone) would change the ffn without issues.
Good luck!

Edit
https://www.qantas.com/nz/en/qantas-...w-zealand.html
Looking for opposite on Air NZ site
Thai-Kiwi likes this.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Jul 2, 2022 at 11:01 pm
Old Jul 2, 2022, 11:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Try the PNR in Finnair AY, Royal Jordain RJ and Qatar QR manage my booking. Some thing may happen.
And/or a Star Alliance ffp to get the Air NZ ffn out of the TSV-BNE reservation.
QF operated NZ marketed will not earn to QF ffp.
In times long gone I used to have 2 ffn in AU-NZ flights and NZ domestic Air NZ fights with different airlines(booked as single PNR on air NZ). Air NZ (by phone) would change the ffn without issues.
Good luck!

Edit
https://www.qantas.com/nz/en/qantas-...w-zealand.html
Looking for opposite on Air NZ site
Thanks, tried AY, RJ, CX, QR, and BA with both PNR and e-tix where that was offered. No luck.

Then added in my CX number via the NZ MMB, in the hope it would displace my NZ and/or TG ff#s, and re-polled all the OW carrier sites above. Still no luck.

Reviewed using the QF MMB, and I note that the booking is listed as holding TG, NZ and CX ff#s LOL. Interestingly, when I go to ‘edit details’, The text under frequent flyer program looks garbled:
???ALLP.listelem.FreqFlyerPrgm.TG??? XXYYYYY

I think I’ll suspend any more effort, and just make a phone call after T-80 and see what can be done for seat assignment. At this stage lounge access isn’t a biggie.

It almost looks as if NZ has a method to lock full access to the QF PNR from QF, and withhold it from even being viewed by other OW carriers…

Last edited by Thai-Kiwi; Jul 3, 2022 at 4:59 am
Old Jul 3, 2022, 7:30 am

Air NZ/Qantas bookings are rather locked down in both directions. My guess is Air NZ has caused this and bookings made by QF that include NZ operated domestic codeshares won't even display on the Air NZ website or app so having the Air NZ booking with Qantas operated flights appear on the QF website is better than the opposite. My Answers to your questions below:
Would telephoning QFF help with seat allocation at T-80?
Technically you could call/use social media now to get an assigned seat however as they won't be able to attach QF status you'll be looking at ~row 20+ until T-80 when any remaining seats become available for anyone to select (except exit rows).
Will the QF check-in staff be able to allocate me a decent seat (eg row 4) when I show them my QFF status?
At check in (and after T-80) status no longer makes a difference to seat selection although paid exit rows do become free once online check in opens at T-24 however you won't have access to online check in so if they remain you can ask at the airport for one of those seats. Technically you aren't entitled to any status benefits on these flights however if you have a QF Gold card staff likely won't care if you access premium check in/boarding they just won't be able to attach that QF frequent flyer number to the booking (you wouldn't anyway as it'd be ineligible to earn any points/status credits).
Will lounge staff let me in with my QF BP and showing my Gold card?
So on paper when booked on a Qantas domestic flight but with a NZ codeshare flight number the only way to get lounge access is with NZ Gold or Elite Status (or be flying in J). They might let you in but I'd expect the answer to be no. It's worth noting that the Townsville airport terminal doesn't open until 4:30am, the lounge/security won't open until about 5am and boarding starts at 5:35am. At most you'll only be missing 30-35 minutes in the lounge.
Thai-Kiwi likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2022, 12:28 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by henrus
……At most you'll only be missing 30-35 minutes in the lounge.
At that hour of the day, 2 coffees could be consumed in 30-35 minutes - even if they come from a Lounge coffee machine. That may make all the difference between a rational sane human being and a totally irrational beast that is rebelling at the early hour.
Old Jul 3, 2022, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by og
At that hour of the day, 2 coffees could be consumed in 30-35 minutes - even if they come from a Lounge coffee machine. That may make all the difference between a rational sane human being and a totally irrational beast that is rebelling at the early hour.
og An astute observation!

henrus appreciate the detailed comments. All ok.

I realised when booking this was all likely, and did toy with having TSV-BNE as a separate QF-booked sector, but elected not to for a number of reasons.

Filling in the time for the 12 hour transit at BNE is a bigger matter!

Last edited by Thai-Kiwi; Jul 3, 2022 at 3:42 pm
Old Jul 4, 2022, 4:00 am

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
I realised when booking this was all likely, and did toy with having TSV-BNE as a separate QF-booked sector, but elected not to for a number of reasons.

Filling in the time for the 12 hour transit at BNE is a bigger matter!
I guess one benefit is you should be able to get the WLG-BNE boarding pass in TSV.

Regarding the transit, currently the Airtrain (airport to city train) is "return for free" meaning a round trip fare is ~$20, book a domestic airport same day return and you can still get off at the international instead on the way back. I wouldn't be spending 12 hours at the airport even with lounge access.

There are plenty of things to do if you've only got a few hours, take a stroll around South Bank/River etc. I'm happy to provide further suggestions if you haven't been to Brisbane before/very much (or more odd ball suggestions if you have).

If after a desk/power for the day then either the State library or Brisbane Square library open at 9am. Otherwise there is a handful of hotels that offer day rooms between $80-200 from about 9am - 5pm access. I've used dayuse.com in a few cities and never had a problem.
Thai-Kiwi likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Called QF for seat allocation last night. Took 30 mins for the phone to be answered by Australian-based agent. She had to put me on hold to sort, but said it was done, and would show on app. However, the allocation did not happen as nothing on app, nor on ExperFlyer.

Called this morning twice just after 0700 AEST. Both calls went to the Sth Africa call centre and were answered within a minute. First agent said nothing could be done at all. So I HUCA. The second agent said the seat map was locked to them and nothing could be done. I noted all I was after was an old-fashioned manual seat allocation, and didn’t need it linked to my QF account. He said he was unable to access the seat map and so there was nothing can be done until check-in.

The latter comment on being unable to even make a manual seat allocation surprised me. I thought it should be possible, even if it required supervisor intervention. Do I bother to keep trying?
Old Jul 4, 2022, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

When is the flight?
Old Jul 4, 2022, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

within 80 hours, Fri 05:55. EF shows seatmap open
Old Jul 7, 2022, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

To answer my own question having just flown TSV-BNE:
  • Could do nothing with the booking on QF (or NZ) prior to airport check-in at TSV
  • I watched row 4 slowly fill
  • The QF Premium check-in agent was excellent
  • Added my QFF Gold# allowing QP access
  • Bags checked through to WLG (it was all on an AirNZ stock ticket)
  • Snared exit row (14C) which was a good option over 04B
  • Efficiently checked the NZ entry requirements (NZ Vax cert, NZ Traveller Pass, PassPort)
Mwenenzi and henrus like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.