Wiki Posts
Search

Phantom Qantas FF Flights

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2022, 2:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Qantas
Phantom Qantas FF Flights

Been trying to book Classic rewards business flights ex SYD or BNE to Europe. Yes Good Luck you say! Seriously though, the calendar shows availabilities with the red Classic Reward logo. Click on the date and the classic reward flight isn't there. Sometimes it will list as another date. Click on that and it doesn't exist either. Anyone else seeing this happening? It's been going on for months now. A website glitch or just more Qantas general incompetence?
Old Jun 18, 2022, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

madoniri Welcome to FT
Originally Posted by madoniri
Been trying to book Classic rewards business flights ex SYD or BNE to Europe. Yes Good Luck you say! Seriously though, the calendar shows availabilities with the red Classic Reward logo. Click on the date and the classic reward flight isn't there. Sometimes it will list as another date. Click on that and it doesn't exist either. Anyone else seeing this happening? It's been going on for months now. A website glitch or just more Qantas general incompetence?
Business class awards have always been hard to get. For 1 person or more than 1 person?
Where to in EU? A route QF fly's to or also need a partner flight?
Do you have any QF status?
Also try from MEL.
Old Jun 18, 2022, 3:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Qantas
Gold status. 2 persons. Problem is website showing availabilities that aren't really there when you click on the date. For example will show 159K points + $600 on the date but if you click on the date there's no fare like that. These phantom dates are all over the place so its a big waste of time.
Old Jun 18, 2022, 5:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I would suggest setting up a BA account and using the BA site to look for availability. It is pretty reliable. Do check individual sectors and not just AU-UK for places like Tokyo, Kuala Lumpur and Doha

Once you have found the availability, then try booking on the QF site or phoning and booking
Old Jun 18, 2022, 6:23 pm

Programs: NZ
I am not sure how you are searching but try this:

1. Log in to your QFF account
2. Click on "Multi City" under the "Book" tab
3. Select "Use points - Classic Flight Rewards only"
4. Enter your flight segments (you can have one or more segments)
5. Enter your dates and click on "Flexible with dates for all flights" in the calendar window
6. Click on "Search Flights"

This will give you a one month view of availability and each date will show the classes available. Click on a date to find out what is available and the points required. Bear in mind that this search will show flight availability for QF and across all QF partners. You can check the entire trip first, eg BNE/LON, but as @Dave Noble suggests you may need to break it down by sector to find suitable avaiability. It can be a long process but hopefully you won't find phantom availability this way!
Old Jun 22, 2022, 10:12 am

Programs: QF LTS, Marriott LTP, ALL GOLD
Originally Posted by madoniri
Gold status. 2 persons. Problem is website showing availabilities that aren't really there when you click on the date. For example will show 159K points + $600 on the date but if you click on the date there's no fare like that. These phantom dates are all over the place so its a big waste of time.
I had similar issues where it was showing VA F availability and would let you enter all your details then it just crashed. How hard can it be to get a decent website that works!
Old Jun 23, 2022, 3:55 am

I agree- so many phantom flights? I am clicking on a business class flight on the calendar view and then it disappears -same date same thing then happens with the remaining economy flight. Get the no availability on that date message.
I suspect they are there but need to call to book. Have booked many reward flights online and never seen this issue before. I always book on my computer rather than iPad but happens on both. Weird!
Old Jun 23, 2022, 4:12 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by jabba591
…Have booked many reward flights online and never seen this issue before. ..
Have you encountered MH phantom Business Award flights?
Old Jun 23, 2022, 8:27 pm

Programs: Miles&more, SPG, Hyatt
Originally Posted by og
Have you encountered MH phantom Business Award flights?
AA’s website is known to have phantom MH U class seats. It (and Alaska too) confuses MH’s Z class with U class - MH’s Z class is only open to enrich members not any partners and they will not ticket if trying to book through any one world carrier.

QF could have similar issue though generally it is fairly accurate. If a MH award does not show with BA then it’s not bookable. BA is the most reliable search for MH.

Last edited by hansyuwiwb; Jun 24, 2022 at 5:32 am
Old Jun 24, 2022, 3:09 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by hansyuwiwb
AA’s website is known to have phantom MH U class seats. It (and Alaska too) confuses MH’s Z class with U class - MH’s Z class is only open onwards enrich members not any partners and they will not ticket if trying to book through any one world carrier.

QF could have similar issue though generally it is fairly accurate. If a MH award does not show with BA then it’s not bookable. BA is the most reliable search for MH.
Thanks for that. It explains the situation. Better than the AA phone operator who said "it won't ticket - you're wasting your time".
Old Jun 25, 2022, 3:07 am

Programs: Qantas, virgin,Klm,finnair
Originally Posted by ANstar
I had similar issues where it was showing VA F availability and would let you enter all your details then it just crashed. How hard can it be to get a decent website that works!
yes I’ve had this also, I even engaged with qantas to complain but of course no help, all they did was lookup the flights I could see on the site and advise they actually were not available. I had eight legs and it took ages to work out which one of those legs was causing the error. Will have to try the BA trick next time.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 2:39 am

Programs: QF
The QF booking engine shows award space on JL, but QF Agents say they are not available when you try to book them by phone (ie: April 2023). JAL has apparently frozen them? Agents mentioned they had an email advice about non availability.

Last edited by blutek; Jun 27, 2022 at 4:16 am
Old Sep 20, 2023, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
So is the BA website the best way to confirm? I’m nervous about transferring credit card points to QF to redeem if the award space is phantom. Going to book BNE-Dili via Sydney and Darwin.
Old Sep 20, 2023, 10:31 pm

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
So is the BA website the best way to confirm? I’m nervous about transferring credit card points to QF to redeem if the award space is phantom. Going to book BNE-Dili via Sydney and Darwin.
I am not sure that BA will quote accurately flights on Air North or Qantas Link?

My understand is that most of the phantom (ignoring ACCC issues) flights were on partners such as MH and JL in particular. And that the flights were seen online, but when you wnet to call the agents confirmed if they were real or phantom flights.

So best bet would be to call, based on your status you maybe able to hold until the points transfer

KF
Old Sep 21, 2023, 1:40 am

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
I havent had issues using QF points on QF for 1 pax. I always check on the AA website as well.

P.S. Didnt we have dinner in Bali in like 15 years ago on an SQ error fare?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.