Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Baggage interlining on reward bookings

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Baggage interlining on reward bookings

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2022, 8:49 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
In post 5 babyg_wc was considering 3 hrs.
The consequences of missing a long haul business class award for 2 pax are significant. The QR flight has ~22:20 departure time.
Hence my preference for, say, >12 hour connex.
babyg_wc and DiamondMile like this.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 2:58 am

In post 5 babyg_wc was considering 3 hrs.
The consequences of missing a long haul business class award for 2 pax are significant. The QR flight has ~22:20 departure time.
Originally Posted by og
Hence my preference for, say, >12 hour connex.
I thought 3 hours was going to be enough.. but yes i think the group replies are correct.. and i should de-risk this somewhat.. so will do an early morning flight giving a day in Adelaide.. will attempt to interline the baggage so wont need to worry about the baggage given will likely leave the airport etc.. thanks all.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 3:05 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by babyg_wc
I thought 3 hours was going to be enough.. but yes i think the group replies are correct.. and i should de-risk this somewhat.. so will do an early morning flight giving a day in Adelaide.. will attempt to interline the baggage so wont need to worry about the baggage given will likely leave the airport etc.. thanks all.
If you can’t interline bags, you could always arrive in ADL the night before and leave bags at your hotel until you choose to return to the airport. And yes, I think you are making a good decision to minimise your risk.
Old Apr 23, 2022, 5:59 am
Original Poster

Just to update, the QF agent at MEL through checked my bags to final destination. She said it was very easy as all she had to do was to add my reward booking PNR to revenue booking. Also she said it was more easy as she was able to see my second booking as it was also a booking on QF. So technically QF to QF. She said the same wouldn't be possible if I had a separate OW PNR. Saved me from immigration at SIN.
Mwenenzi, og and banana0692 like this.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 12:24 am

Programs: QF WP
Ok so I read that QF will/May make an exception when connecting on seperate PNR’S revenue to award or vice versa….I’m my case I have a reward booking on QF Melbourne to Haneda and then connecting to either JAL or BA on the first leg of a revenue DONE4….My question is will QF check my bags through to my final destination being BCN when I checkin at Melbourne ?
Old Jun 7, 2022, 2:05 am

Programs: QF WP, AC*G
Originally Posted by pyffii
Ok so I read that QF will/May make an exception when connecting on seperate PNR’S revenue to award or vice versa….I’m my case I have a reward booking on QF Melbourne to Haneda and then connecting to either JAL or BA on the first leg of a revenue DONE4….My question is will QF check my bags through to my final destination being BCN when I checkin at Melbourne ?
That would meet the exception in the Qantas rules so should be allowed.
Old Jul 25, 2022, 12:54 pm

I have an F class MEL-LAX award ticket booked on QF via BA Avios, and need to get a LAX-JFK on a revenue ticket - if i book that on AA (economy), would QF check us from MEL all the way to JFK per the QF policy of award to rev tickets ? Even though AA would usually require checked bags to be paid?
I know we collect bags in LAX regardless but if checked through we can then drop at the transfer desk, and continue to the AA terminal airside without having to clear security again-just unsure how we'd get our boarding passes for AA - online check in?
Old Jul 25, 2022, 2:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by passportsandpolaroids
I have an F class MEL-LAX award ticket booked on QF via BA Avios, and need to get a LAX-JFK on a revenue ticket - if i book that on AA (economy), would QF check us from MEL all the way to JFK per the QF policy of award to rev tickets ? Even though AA would usually require checked bags to be paid?
I know we collect bags in LAX regardless but if checked through we can then drop at the transfer desk, and continue to the AA terminal airside without having to clear security again-just unsure how we'd get our boarding passes for AA - online check in?
QF will check bags between award and revenue flights, but with no baggage allowance on the AA flight it may not have any way to collect the baggage fees and so not be able to do so.

You will not be able to stay airside; you will be an international arrival into TBIT and will have to clear immigration and collect baggage, regardless of whether tagged all the way to JFK; you then need to go to the AA terminal and clear security

With this connection, it doesn't make a huge difference whether checked through or not, simce you need to collect bags at LAX - just saves wheeling to the adjacent terminal to drop the bags off or whether you can use the bag drop off in TBIT
Old Jul 27, 2022, 10:24 am

Programs: BA silver
Look here --.Interline and Through Checked Baggage
Normally for separate PNRs only QF to QF and QF to EK, but an exemption for awards.
So I was planning to use BA Avios for both BNE-SYD, and SYD-LHR which as I read it wouldn’t allow interlining of bags? But if I paid for the internal flight I should get bags checked through? Am I correct on that?
Transfer at SYD… how long should I allow? International flight departs at 1635. Planning on 4 hours . Is that too much/ too little? Thx
Old Jul 27, 2022, 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by Dorsetboy
So I was planning to use BA Avios for both BNE-SYD, and SYD-LHR which as I read it wouldn’t allow interlining of bags? But if I paid for the internal flight I should get bags checked through? Am I correct on that?
Transfer at SYD… how long should I allow? International flight departs at 1635. Planning on 4 hours . Is that too much/ too little? Thx
With separate bookings, then 4 hours would be the minimum that I would allow for, With a revenue booking and an onward reward one, you should get baggage checked through. Don't rely on it for award - award, since that is not listed
Old Jul 28, 2022, 1:40 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
With separate bookings, then 4 hours would be the minimum that I would allow for, With a revenue booking and an onward reward one, you should get baggage checked through. Don't rely on it for award - award, since that is not listed
If I can get the bags checked through from BNE would that reduce time required to transfer at Sydney? Also the internal flight would be economy, the flight to LHR would be business on separate PNR. Is that going to cause difficulties do you think?
Old Jul 28, 2022, 2:26 am

Originally Posted by Dorsetboy
If I can get the bags checked through from BNE would that reduce time required to transfer at Sydney? Also the internal flight would be economy, the flight to LHR would be business on separate PNR. Is that going to cause difficulties do you think?
Being in different cabins doesnt matter. I wouldnt reduce the time unless there is zero penalty if you need to change the BA flight due to delays getting to Sydney

If it is free to change and you dont mind a night in Sydney if there is a problem, then quite resonable to reduce connection time. If it is a non-refundable, non changeable ticket, i woul still be concerned at 4 hours
Old Jul 28, 2022, 2:56 am

[QUOTE=Dave Noble;34465107]Being in different cabins doesnt matter. I wouldnt reduce the time unless there is zero penalty if you need to change the BA flight due to delays getting to Sydney

If it is free to change and you dont mind a night in Sydney if there is a problem, then quite resonable to reduce connection time. If it is a non-refundable, non changeable ticket, i woul still be concerned at 4 hours[/QUOTE
Thanks for this. Assume if I can get checked through, I can take the QF internal bus across the airport at SYD?
Old Aug 5, 2022, 9:25 am

Look here --.Interline and Through Checked Baggage
Normally for separate PNRs only QF to QF and QF to EK, but an exemption for awards.
Is this still current? Can’t find any sign of it on the QF website and would quite like to have it up my sleeve in case of any issues. Thx
Old Aug 5, 2022, 11:30 am

If I have an award booking via BA on QF aircraft with one PNR and a separate revenue ticket with QR (with another PNR), would Qantas interline baggage to final destination. See route below.
SYD-CBR (award ticket via http://BA.com on Qantas)
CBR-FCO (revenue ticket with Qatar airways).
Would I be able to check in luggage at Sydney for baggage to go all the way to Rome on the two oneworld PNRs?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.