Wiki Posts
Search

WWQD (What Would Qantas Do)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2022, 8:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
WWQD (What Would Qantas Do)

Theoretical situation (though Im sure this has happened before). PAX is booked on F/J award ticket under saver/special inventory. Pax tests positive for Covid days before flight and calls QF-would QF allow them to date change for free, say, 5 days later if there was any space up front or would they require the pax to come up with 1,000,000 points to cover the change to a full flex fare (assume thats all that was left)? I suspect the answer is "come up with the miles or fly economy" but you never know-has this happened to anyone? Im comparing the handling of this theoretical situation by DL/QF/NZ.

Last edited by DLATL777; Apr 4, 2022 at 8:46 pm
Old Apr 4, 2022, 10:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I cannot see that it would be anything other than a voluntary change/cancellation and that the person could either cancel ( subject to the fairly low cancellation fee ) or rebook ( subject to change fee ) and pay any point difference if there is no award inventory. No different to any other cancellation

Qantas has had some changes to policies during the pandemic that allow greater flexibility - non of these has been (afaik) restricted to those with Covid

That is where the person gets to know whether they took out a suitable travel insurance policy

Last edited by Dave Noble; Apr 4, 2022 at 10:15 pm
Old Apr 5, 2022, 1:07 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
QF will not open award space because of a Covid cancellation. Award space in premium cabins is rare and many flights are full up the front.
Old Apr 5, 2022, 4:57 am

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
My experience has been prior to COVID, I have found EU and US airlines to be much more accommodating than QF when the pax rings to self report an infectious disease (measles, chicken pox etc). One example was on a award ticket (LH, business class) that was no questions other than send in Dr report, into a revenue bucket five days later. I find the lack of legislation in AU to keep QF in line, is challenging. (I assume US and EU airlines are more accommodating because they have been forced to).

My only COVID experience was with QR who rebooked into a higher fare class (not cabin) following positive COVID without any add/collect.

(unintended consequence is that QF forces people to travel with an infectious disease due to no other recourse - if the above "no way" responses are correct)

KF
DLATL777 likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2022, 5:33 am

Programs: BA Gold, Priority Club Gold, Accor Silver, Virgin Australia Gold
Qantas could do a lot to help anyone but choose not to. Some people here will say that they are being flexible and accomodating..and do more than they have to". ..maybe a bit but not that much. All airlines take a view and many many of them do a heck of a lot more than QF. They could do a lot to open seats in flights with regard say to the ops question but again they choose not. They don't have to ..but they don't do much to be proactive. . It does not take much to search and see that many of the aeroplanes they fly are frankly only flying with a quarter load of pax.
Old Apr 5, 2022, 6:13 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by nivsy
Qantas could do a lot to help anyone but choose not to. Some people here will say that they are being flexible and accomodating..and do more than they have to". ..maybe a bit but not that much. All airlines take a view and many many of them do a heck of a lot more than QF. They could do a lot to open seats in flights with regard say to the ops question but again they choose not. They don't have to ..but they don't do much to be proactive. . It does not take much to search and see that many of the aeroplanes they fly are frankly only flying with a quarter load of pax.
I don’t know what data you’re looking at but QF 1/2, 11/12, 55/56 and 93/94 have been flying 100% full in premium cabins. It’s only Y that has availability.
Old Apr 5, 2022, 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by m0hamed
I don’t know what data you’re looking at but QF 1/2, 11/12, 55/56 and 93/94 have been flying 100% full in premium cabins. It’s only Y that has availability.
Not sure where you are looking but a quick check on QF1 and QF2 as an example would.allow.me.to.book business availability in biz everyday except for 3 for rest of April. Fine if you have over 13,000 dollars to spend ofcourse for the priv when all business industries and people generally in Australia seem to be saying the can't even afford a loaf of bread....🤔
Old Apr 5, 2022, 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by nivsy
Not sure where you are looking but a quick check on QF1 and QF2 as an example would.allow.me.to.book business availability in biz everyday except for 3 for rest of April. Fine if you have over 13,000 dollars to spend ofcourse for the priv when all business industries and people generally in Australia seem to be saying the can't even afford a loaf of bread....🤔
If you think being able to buy a business ticket is a data point, then you don't understand what you're talking about.

QF 1

Today J0 C0 D0 I0 W0 R0 T0 Y0 B0 H0 K0 M0L0 V0 S0 N0 Q0 O0 X0 E0
Thursday J1 C0 D0 I0 W1 R0 T0 Y9 B9 H9 K4 M0L0 V0 S0 N0 Q0 O0 X0 E0
FridayJ2 C0 D0 I0 W2 R0 T0 Y9 B9 H9 K0 M0L0 V0 S0 N0 Q0 O0 X0 E0

QF 2

Today J1 C0 D0 I0 W0 R0 T0 Y9 B9 H9 K9 M9L0 V0 S0 N0 Q0 O0 X0 E0
Thursday J1 C0 D0 I0 W0 R0 T0 Y9 B2 H0 K0 M0L0 V0 S0 N0 Q0 O0 X0 E0
Friday J0 C0 D0 I0 W1 R0 T0 Y9 B0 H0 K0 M0L0 V0 S0 N0 Q0 O0 X0 E0

Your conclusion around flexibility is irrelevant when there is no availability. Even as a full fare J pax, you would struggle to get rebooked for a Covid cancellation, especially if more than one pax.

Last edited by m0hamed; Apr 5, 2022 at 9:42 pm
Old Apr 5, 2022, 9:25 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, UA Premier Platinum, OneWorld Emerald, VA Platinum
QF9/10 has some availability over the next week, but QF1/2? Not so sure.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 10:22 pm

Programs: QF WP LTG, HHonors Diamond, NZ Gold
Another tick here for travel insurance which has specific COVID cover.

Regards,

BD
Old Apr 6, 2022, 10:57 pm

Originally Posted by BD1959
Another tick here for travel insurance which has specific COVID cover.

Regards,

BD
Indeed. Though you need to check the policy. Some will fly pay to fly you in the same cabin minus the value of your points which they convert to a cash amount. Others will simply reimburse you their paltry assessment of your points.

Last edited by m0hamed; Apr 7, 2022 at 12:04 am
Old Apr 11, 2022, 11:30 pm

Said all along they are shoddy at best. Wait with interest what comes out if it if anything although I'm sure they will have their lawyers earning their money.

https://www.news.com.au/travel/trave...299bc95563?amp

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.