Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

QF Past Positive Medical Clearance form

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2022, 5:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards

Despite surviving 2 years of not getting Covid in the UK and having had 3 vaccines, I've managed to contract it less than 3 weeks before my first trip out. (4 months after my booster for those watching efficiency rates).

Fortunately symptoms seem mild so far. I have registered my RAT test here in the UK and they have sent me a PCR test to do. I will need to see closer to the time if my RAT still shows positive after days 5 and 6. 2 negative tests and I can go out again or if positive still, wait til day 10. Of course that will depend on how I feel!

For travel to Australia I can do a 72hr prior PCR test or a 24hr supervised RAT, but if they are still showing positive, I need to get a medically signed off Recovery form. I'm flying BA to Sin, QF to SYD and then transferring straight to BNE before doing BNE SIN with QF and back to LHR with BA.

If I've read right I only need to get a GP signed form and not the QF form as well for entry into Australia on QF. Is that correct? Or do I need both? Do I need to show or do anything for my return flight 3 weeks later? The UK has no pre-flight test requirements and SIN has no requirements for transit passengers.

I'll blame having covid if there is something on this somewhere here. I searched and didn't find. It's been "challenging" keeping abreast of changes as the time grows closer, but having this to add to mix is stressful. It will be worth it to see family of course! Bizarrely a mate is traveling back a few days later and has also come down with Covid this weekend. We both started periods of self isolation, but not soon enough. At least we will have some comfort in knowing we will hopefully be immune for a period - unless there is a different variant out there!
Old Mar 27, 2022, 5:42 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
QF form is for flying on QF, Australia form is for entry to Australia. So likely you'll need both.

If you are fully recovered then RAT should be negative (assuming not re-infected), whereas PCR may continue to show positive for some weeks or months after recovery. If the test is negative you won't need the medical clearance (GP certificate plus whatever forms are required). IIRC Qantas requires early submission for exemptions so you can't leave it until a day or so before flight (when you normally do the pre-departure test).

Note travel requirements are constantly changing, so keep monitoring these.
Old Mar 27, 2022, 11:14 pm

What date are you traveling to Australia? From 18 April travel into Australia will not require a test.
Old Mar 28, 2022, 3:59 am

Programs: QF, TK, VA, SQ
Originally Posted by dddc
Despite surviving 2 years of not getting Covid in the UK and having had 3 vaccines, I've managed to contract it less than 3 weeks before my first trip out. (4 months after my booster for those watching efficiency rates).

Fortunately symptoms seem mild so far. I have registered my RAT test here in the UK and they have sent me a PCR test to do. I will need to see closer to the time if my RAT still shows positive after days 5 and 6. 2 negative tests and I can go out again or if positive still, wait til day 10. Of course that will depend on how I feel!

For travel to Australia I can do a 72hr prior PCR test or a 24hr supervised RAT, but if they are still showing positive, I need to get a medically signed off Recovery form. I'm flying BA to Sin, QF to SYD and then transferring straight to BNE before doing BNE SIN with QF and back to LHR with BA.
Sorry to hear you've come down with C19. My partner has tested positive last Sunday (and very strong LFT/RAT positives since then, + PCR mid week) and today (day 9) is the first day the test is barely starting to get "less strong" in terms of a positive result. Thankfully symptoms only lasted for 7 days and weren't too awful.

Hopefully your symptoms stay mild and it passes you quickly.

So far, despite not being able to isolate in our flat in London (past opening windows and increasing/ramping up normal basic hygiene) I've managed to dodge it. Fingers crossed it stays that way!

I'm wondering if the NHS Recovery Certificate (the travel pass) is possibly going to have enough info for you, or if maybe there are commercial certification partners who would take that and generate a signed letter that you might need for travel? I'm wondering this as we're planning on travelling in the next few weeks too, and I would be concerned given how strong the positive result is that a PCR test done down the line might still show as + from the virus being shed and the sensitivity of the test (less worried about an LFT though, I guess).
Old Mar 28, 2022, 6:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by henrus
What date are you traveling to Australia? From 18 April travel into Australia will not require a test.
I arrive on the 14th. Can't change flight as I'm using frequent flyer seats, so no nearby availability.
Old Mar 28, 2022, 6:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
QF form is for flying on QF, Australia form is for entry to Australia. So likely you'll need both.

If you are fully recovered then RAT should be negative (assuming not re-infected), whereas PCR may continue to show positive for some weeks or months after recovery. If the test is negative you won't need the medical clearance (GP certificate plus whatever forms are required). IIRC Qantas requires early submission for exemptions so you can't leave it until a day or so before flight (when you normally do the pre-departure test).

Note travel requirements are constantly changing, so keep monitoring these.
From This page: https://www.qantas.com/au/en/coronav...tive-clearance

2. Submitting your documents

The process is different for flights to Australia and for flights from Australia.

Flights to Australia

For flights to Australia, you don't need to submit your signed Qantas past positive medical clearance form or medical certificate to us in advance, but you will need to show your completed documents at the airport when you check in for your flight.

Flights from Australia

For flights from Australia, we're prioritising requests for clearance by date of travel. Ensure you submit the correct documentation as soon as possible before your flight, but no later than 24 hours before departure.

We recommend you protect your personal information while sharing online.

When submitting your completed Qantas COVID-19 past positive medical clearance form signed by a medical practitioner, or your medical clearance certificate, and any government approvals if applicable, ensure you include your name, contact information, booking reference and flight information in your email. If we don't receive all the relevant information and required documentation, there may be a delay in processing your request for travel.
So I would need to show it on the way in ONLY at the departure gate at LHR. There's no issue for domestic travel. But then, I'd have to submit it for my exit flight?? There are no proofs needed on the UK side.

I like how they mention about protecting your personal information online when the only way you can submit the doc is via email!

As I'm only on day of my positive RAT, I won't know if the line is fading for some time. I suppose I could have the docs as back uo, do the 24hr supervised RAT test and if that fails, then submit the docs for departure.
Old Mar 28, 2022, 7:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pythonisman
Sorry to hear you've come down with C19. My partner has tested positive last Sunday (and very strong LFT/RAT positives since then, + PCR mid week) and today (day 9) is the first day the test is barely starting to get "less strong" in terms of a positive result. Thankfully symptoms only lasted for 7 days and weren't too awful.

Hopefully your symptoms stay mild and it passes you quickly.

So far, despite not being able to isolate in our flat in London (past opening windows and increasing/ramping up normal basic hygiene) I've managed to dodge it. Fingers crossed it stays that way!

I'm wondering if the NHS Recovery Certificate (the travel pass) is possibly going to have enough info for you, or if maybe there are commercial certification partners who would take that and generate a signed letter that you might need for travel? I'm wondering this as we're planning on travelling in the next few weeks too, and I would be concerned given how strong the positive result is that a PCR test done down the line might still show as + from the virus being shed and the sensitivity of the test (less worried about an LFT though, I guess).
I'm about to send my NHS PCR test in the post. It's only day 3 for me. So far the other half hasn't got it, but he is trying to spend time out of the flat!

I found this mob https://www.medicspot.co.uk/recovery-certificate that do both the recovery certificate and the Qantas form. It's the worry that the LFT might show + on the day of the pre-departure test. I think having these docs is like insurance. If the LFT shows negative, then I don't need to submit docs as far as I can see. If it does show + , then I present the QF form on the outbound and then submit it via their email address when I land in Australia. I have about 2.5 weeks so I hope they can process it in time!
pythonisman likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2022, 8:00 am

So I would need to show it on the way in ONLY at the departure gate at LHR. There's no issue for domestic travel. But then, I'd have to submit it for my exit flight?? There are no proofs needed on the UK side.
I recently flew QF2 LHR-SYD and QF9 MEL-LHR (with a domestic connection SYD-MEL prior);

At LHR before I was allowed to enter the check in area, a member of ground staff had a checklist and was checking that:
- I was booked to fly that day (inc passport check)
- I had a vaccination certificate
- I had completed that digital locator / arrival form which Australia had instigated the week I was flying
- I had a negative test result (I had a PCR test as I wanted it to cover entry to both Italy 2 days prior where my ticket originated, as well as Australia)

I everything printed out (except I'd missed there was a summary page for the arrival doc that I needed to log in / dig out and show on my phone) and it was pretty painless from there, once allowed into the check in area I had my boarding pass issued and was on my way.

I would imagine if you weren't able to provide a negative test result that you could/would show the QF medical exemption form you linked to and you'd be ok, and I imagine they'd be very happy with MedicSpot (that's a useful service that I may need to use myself at some point- so thanks!)

On the return earlier this month I had to show my vaccination and UK PLF only, which I did on my phone.

All of the checks were quite casual/not even the slightest bit thorough. I am a dual UK/AU national so didn't have to speak to an immigration officer at arrivals in either direction, who I imagine may have wanted to check things in more detail...

If I were in your position I would get the recovery certificate filled in (using a service like the one you linked to), and I'd be making sure I had a healthy stock of LFTs at hand to do your own surveillance over the next couple of weeks. That way you should know whether a paid RAT is likely to show positive on the day you take it. (I'd not risk paying for a PCR test <3 weeks after testing positive - in fact from memory they might not admit you to a test centre if you've had a recent positive result?)

My partner's on day 9 and today's the first day his LFT/RAT is showing even a slight lightness in the "T" line. His dad had it a few weeks ago and was testing positive up to day 13, but hasn't had any positive tests since.

I would spend the next week or so getting as much rest as possible and focusing on recovery, hopefully your symptoms are mild and pass quickly and you're back on your feet and ready to travel before you know it.
Old Mar 28, 2022, 3:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pythonisman
I recently flew QF2 LHR-SYD and QF9 MEL-LHR (with a domestic connection SYD-MEL prior);

At LHR before I was allowed to enter the check in area, a member of ground staff had a checklist and was checking that:
- I was booked to fly that day (inc passport check)
- I had a vaccination certificate
- I had completed that digital locator / arrival form which Australia had instigated the week I was flying
- I had a negative test result (I had a PCR test as I wanted it to cover entry to both Italy 2 days prior where my ticket originated, as well as Australia)

I everything printed out (except I'd missed there was a summary page for the arrival doc that I needed to log in / dig out and show on my phone) and it was pretty painless from there, once allowed into the check in area I had my boarding pass issued and was on my way.

I would imagine if you weren't able to provide a negative test result that you could/would show the QF medical exemption form you linked to and you'd be ok, and I imagine they'd be very happy with MedicSpot (that's a useful service that I may need to use myself at some point- so thanks!)

On the return earlier this month I had to show my vaccination and UK PLF only, which I did on my phone.

All of the checks were quite casual/not even the slightest bit thorough. I am a dual UK/AU national so didn't have to speak to an immigration officer at arrivals in either direction, who I imagine may have wanted to check things in more detail...

If I were in your position I would get the recovery certificate filled in (using a service like the one you linked to), and I'd be making sure I had a healthy stock of LFTs at hand to do your own surveillance over the next couple of weeks. That way you should know whether a paid RAT is likely to show positive on the day you take it. (I'd not risk paying for a PCR test <3 weeks after testing positive - in fact from memory they might not admit you to a test centre if you've had a recent positive result?)

My partner's on day 9 and today's the first day his LFT/RAT is showing even a slight lightness in the "T" line. His dad had it a few weeks ago and was testing positive up to day 13, but hasn't had any positive tests since.

I would spend the next week or so getting as much rest as possible and focusing on recovery, hopefully your symptoms are mild and pass quickly and you're back on your feet and ready to travel before you know it.
Thanks! That's encouraging to hear.

I'm dual national too. Did you enter both passports or just the one for the each way leg?

I do have a stash of LFT.s Our local council was giving out boxes of 20 at one stage and every time I was at the supermarket they were desperate to give out their supplies so they could go home. My local pharmacy had just left them out on a table for you to collect 1 and write down the "code" you were given online for them. One of my friends in Oz said I should collect as many as I could and come sell them in Australia when I go, but that doesn't sit right with me.

Not much chance of rest as a project goes live soon. I was on a Teams call from my bed with the vendor (on the line, not in my bed!) and I think he started to concede things to get me off the line as my voice was getting hoarser and hoarser. I'll probably have to follow events while I'm out there.

Somehow amongst, work, arranging all these tests and papers I need to pack too!! Argh!!
Old Mar 28, 2022, 9:22 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
QF do not accept the letter at check in and it must be submitted and approved in advance.
Old Mar 29, 2022, 1:27 am

I'm dual national too. Did you enter both passports or just the one for the each way leg?
Just the Aus outbound, and just the UK inbound (but then presented the Aus passport at Melbourne to immigration officials, but from an Airline/APIs perspective only the destination country's passport). Which funnily enough I've tried a few times and usually not managed to do 'right' and always seemed to end up needing both, but this time it was fine.

I also travelled to Italy on my Australian passport (now there's no benefit in being British in the EU) to simplify the departure checks from Italy the day before.

One of my friends in Oz said I should collect as many as I could and come sell them in Australia when I go, but that doesn't sit right with me.
Agree 100% on that approach - I have a stash at home for when the free ones run out (and am testing regularly at the moment) but would never re-sell. The current DHSC batches aren't approved by the TGA so you'd be in breach of a few things in Aus as well.

Not much chance of rest as a project goes live soon. I was on a Teams call from my bed with the vendor (on the line, not in my bed!) and I think he started to concede things to get me off the line as my voice was getting hoarser and hoarser. I'll probably have to follow events while I'm out there.

Somehow amongst, work, arranging all these tests and papers I need to pack too!! Argh!!
I feel for you - it's a stressful time. I was similarly mental with work before heading off and worked from Australia while I was there (thankfully not on UK hours) but it helped keep the annual leave balance healthy.

Once things were all sorted and I had my boarding pass at T3 for the flight to Australia, I got hit by some pretty huge waves of relief/emotion as the stress of it all lifted and the realisation of being able to head back and see family hit home.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.