Search

Qantas upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2022, 3:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: one world, BA
Question Qantas upgrades

Hey team,
Is there any way to guarantee an upgrade using Qantas FF points? I want to book a biz class ticket or at least upgrade my parents but I want to lock it in.
I have 739500 points and they will fly SYD-YYZ-FCU-SYD in august/sept this year. Have I just left it too late?

Many thanks,
Coco
Old Mar 21, 2022, 3:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

There is no way to guarantee an upgrade on an international flight like that. If you want to guarantee business class, you need to purchase it

Using Qantas points you need to waitlist for the upgrade and see if it clears
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2022, 4:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Cocheene Smith
Is there any way to guarantee an upgrade using Qantas FF points? I want to book a biz class ticket or at least upgrade my parents but I want to lock it in.
I have 739500 points and they will fly SYD-YYZ-FCU-SYD in august/sept this year. Have I just left it too late?
QF does not fly to YYZ. What airport is FCU?
A map from Great Circle Mapper - Great Circle Mapper
The QF upgrade lottery is only for QF marketed and operated flights: not partner flights
Old Mar 22, 2022, 4:32 am

Programs: QF, LM
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
There is no way to guarantee an upgrade on an international flight like that. If you want to guarantee business class, you need to purchase it

Using Qantas points you need to waitlist for the upgrade and see if it clears
You can purchase the J tickets via points immediately (locked in) but this is not an upgrade, but rather a purchase, which is far higher than the cost in points
for an upgrade. Have not checked the going rate, but you have a few points, so maybe this is available? But it is a horrendous use of points...
Old Mar 22, 2022, 4:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by juddles
You can purchase the J tickets via points immediately (locked in) but this is not an upgrade, but rather a purchase, which is far higher than the cost in points
for an upgrade. Have not checked the going rate, but you have a few points, so maybe this is available? But it is a horrendous use of points...
I wouldn't be saying that it is far higher; from discount economy an upgrade is 98,100 for SYD-LAX whereas it is only 108,400 for a business award ticket
Old Mar 22, 2022, 6:05 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
I wouldn't be saying that it is far higher; from discount economy an upgrade is 98,100 for SYD-LAX whereas it is only 108,400 for a business award ticket
Indeed. One of the worst redemption opportunities after the dynamic pricing offered for every flights that’s not a classic reward.
Old Mar 29, 2022, 10:42 pm

Programs: QF, LM
Dave, sorry for not being clearer - I was referring to the points-purchase of a J ticket, which I think is about 500,000 points each way on SYD-LAX, I was not talking about a normal award as per the 108,000 one you referred to.

Also - careful - I think you cannot upgrade using points from a discount economy fare.

Cheers,
juddles

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.