Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Sydney T1 to T3 transfer - current status?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sydney T1 to T3 transfer - current status?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2022, 3:01 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
In what way was the bus journey a tedious or difficult journey? - it seems that you arrived , collected your luggage, took the frequuent bus service to T1 (every 15 mins) and then checked in for your Singapore Airlines flight

If there had been an airside service it seems that it wouldn't have made any difference since bags were not checked through but needed to be collected

Passport and Security checks would have been the same regardless
The process which I went through is not very customer friendly, I can think of many ways how this can be improved. From QF allowing baggage through check with separate tickets / PNR and having an airside transfer to having a free transfer method which allows you to have your bags stay on a luggage cart. Which doesn't drop you in the arrivals area at the far side of the terminal when you need to be in departures. And having 2 screening lines open when you have a lot of international departures is also not great.
Old Mar 24, 2022, 9:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards, QF FF
Originally Posted by Koru Flyer
I am missing something here, as there are several options and I am not sure which you are referring to? And none are actually truly airside, as the "seamless" the Dom-Int drops you in Int checkin hall, and the Int-Dom requires that you have picked up your bags, gone through customs are outside and then wander across to a domestic checkin located next to the Int terminal form where you catch a bus. Remember there are different security requirements for Domestic vs International in AU (liquids being the obvious one).

You cannot check in luggage for a domestic flight until around 3-6 hours (depending on the airport) before a flight so I am not sure what "I'd check in and dump bags at T1".

The TBus goes every 30 mins - I am not sure it has a true timetable rather than runs when it does.

The most stress free but it costs $6.70 per person would be to take the train. They come every 5 mins or so and take 2-3 mins. That would probably be my option if the seamless is not working.

When I stayed at the Rydges, there was a free shuttle organised by the hotel to Domestic. You may wish to contact them and see if that is running. Or stay at another hotel that has both a free bus from Int and to Domestic.

KF
There used to be a service in the international arrivals hall where you could check in your bags for a domestic flight, clear security (yes, I'm aware there are different requirements) and then take an airside bus. My intention, if that were running, was to do that in the morning. I'm not sure where you got the idea that I would be checking my bags earlier that 3-6 hours.

While it's true that even then one had to clear immigration and collect bags, the advantage was that said bags didn't then need to be conveyed to domestic. There was a domestic check in area, with its own security, at the McDonalds end of T1 arrivals.

Anyway, I see from a subsequent reply that this is no longer operating.

As I stated, there is conflicting advice on the airport and Qantas websites as to what time the landslide terminal transfer bus operates, and as my domestic flight is early, the timing is important. Also, traffic at that time of morning can be horrendous, which makes the timing even tighter if the first bus isn't until 0730.

Last edited by petit_manchot; Mar 24, 2022 at 9:34 am
Old Mar 24, 2022, 9:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
From a post on AFF by jrfsp. To be confirmed
Thanks, that is indeed disappointing because it made my life very easy when arriving with small child, luggage and a tight domestic connection.
I too found the staff in that section really great.
Old Mar 24, 2022, 9:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hansyuwiwb
Can confirm that QF seamless transfer does not operate at the moment (strangely Dom to Int is but not Int to Dom). There is no bag drop for QF domestic flights at T1 right now.

Cannot comment on the airport shuttle start time. You might end up having to take a taxi and the taxi driver is going to be pissed
Thanks. I will take the train. No interest whatsoever in incurring the wrath of a Sydney taxi driver early in the morning. Used to live in the inner west, and was on the receiving end of some vile behaviour/language from them on more than one occasion because they deemed it too short a trip.
Old Mar 24, 2022, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Updating post 2. QF web site has changed. Seamless Lite is new.
QF link--->Sydney T1 International Airport

Transferring between T2 and T3 (domestic airports) and T1 (international airport)

Sydney Airport T-Bus
The T-Bus is Sydney Airport’s complimentary shuttle bus service between the T1 International and T2/T3 Domestic terminals. The service currently operates every 30 minutes and takes approximately 10 minutes. To catch the T-Bus, proceed to the bus stop on the Arrivals level outside each terminal.

The first bus departs T1 International terminal at 07.30am and the last bus departs T2 Domestic terminal at 7.30pm. For transfers outside these hours, we recommend you take one of the alternative public transport optionsOpens external site.

Qantas seamless transfer
The Qantas Seamless Transfer service is available between Qantas and Qantas, oneworld or Emirates Flights, subject to capacity restrictions and operational requirements.

For international arrivals, a Seamless Lite service is available for customers arriving on international flights and connecting to a Qantas domestic flight. Transfers to the departures level of the domestic terminal (T3) depart every 15 minutes in the morning and every 30 minutes in the afternoon and evening from bus bay 10, with a travel time of approximately 20 mins.

To check if a Qantas Seamless Transfer is available to you, please check with staff in Sydney or at your initial check in. If unavailable, alternative options include the free Sydney Airport T-Bus, paid train services or paid taxi. Ensure you allow enough time to collect your baggage and check in for your onward flight.

Please refer to our Sydney Domestic Airport (T3) guide for further details on domestic arrivals.
Old Mar 25, 2022, 4:29 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Updating post 2. QF web site has changed. Seamless Lite is new.
QF link--->Sydney T1 International Airport
Either this has just changed or the website update is premature. Int->dom QF bus was not available a week ago.
Old Mar 25, 2022, 9:15 pm

Programs: QF Plat (Life Gold), SQ PPS
It probably starts this weekend when a number of other changes come into effect (eg opening of int J lounge)
Old Mar 27, 2022, 2:59 am

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
On my way from the train to SYD intl checkin today, I noticed a steady stream of people going to and through the domestic connection door at the far end of the terminal. Given they did not turn around, I would guess they checkedin, and went by the old bus system to the domestic terminal.
rvolkcpa likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2022, 3:48 am

Any updates? Has anyone transferred from T1 to T3 in the past week?

I'm flying Vancouver to SYD T1 on Air Canada arriving 6:55am and then SYD T3 to MEL at 9:00am this coming Sunday. I fear it's a bit tight, but at least it's booked on one ticket. Will I have to collect bags at T1 and take them to T3 to check in with Qantas domestic, or will I be able to "check in" and drop bags at T1 and take an airside shuttle to T3?

Any up-to-date information would be greatly appreciated.
Old Apr 4, 2022, 5:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cobey61
Any updates? Has anyone transferred from T1 to T3 in the past week?

I'm flying Vancouver to SYD T1 on Air Canada arriving 6:55am and then SYD T3 to MEL at 9:00am this coming Sunday. I fear it's a bit tight, but at least it's booked on one ticket. Will I have to collect bags at T1 and take them to T3 to check in with Qantas domestic, or will I be able to "check in" and drop bags at T1 and take an airside shuttle to T3?
Passport that can use smartgate for entry? With 1 ticket and on a Sunday would not be too concerned with a 2:05hr transfer. If late its QF's problem.[AC33 was 33 minutes late today] Will not have the commuter traffic SYD-MEL that happens on week days. T3 will be relatively quite. .
Please let us know how it works out.

FT thread-->Airport info SYDNEY (SYD) - amenities, transfers, transport

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Apr 4, 2022 at 5:42 am
Old Apr 5, 2022, 4:50 am

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
On my last few Intl arrivals, I have found (a) no queue at customs, (b) grab the first smart gate machine you can - I find it odd that people walk past all the empty machines then to just have to wait in a queue for the couple at the actual gates, (c) bags came quickly, (d) no queue for the exit. While your experience may vary, it seems the staff match the customer need at the moment. In and through in under 20-30 mins with bags.
Old Apr 5, 2022, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A T1 to T2 Tbus experience the United to partner with Virgin Australia thread. The UA flight arrive ~07:00 (may have changed with day light saving)
Link---> post 79
A few weeks ago it took me just under 2 hours from arrival (on UA) to being landside at the domestic terminal for a VA flight. That includes being at the front of the plane, having SmartGate access (not everyone does at the moment and the immigration line was long), having a priority-tagged bag to collect, and then catching the T-Bus. Without a bag it would have been faster (both on the international end but also in the domestic terminal where it took ~20 mins in line to drop the bag), but if I'd had a 2 hour connection I probably wouldn't have made i
Not as good as it was pre Covid-19. With separate tickets now a bigger risk.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 3:48 am

Passport that can use smartgate for entry? With 1 ticket and on a Sunday would not be too concerned with a 2:05hr transfer. If late its QF's problem.[AC33 was 33 minutes late today] Will not have the commuter traffic SYD-MEL that happens on week days. T3 will be relatively quite. .
Please let us know how it works out.

FT thread-->Airport info SYDNEY (SYD) - amenities, transfers, transport
Thanks Mwenezi

Yes, I have a Smartgate passport.

What happens in a scenario where AC33 lands on time but then it takes 2 hours to get from T1 to T3 (including collecting bags, getting through customs, transiting to T1) so I miss the boarding time for my domestic flight. Is that still QF’s problem? Will I automatically be entitled to be put on the next available flight to Melbourne?

I’ll be arriving in SYD after a long multi-leg journey from central Canada so I’m really not looking forward to this Sydney airport T1 to T3 transfer.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 4:33 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by cobey61
T Is that still QF’s problem? Will I automatically be entitled to be put on the next available flight to Melbourne?
Yes, on one ticket this is still QFs responsibility and they will put you on the next available (!) flight.
Old Apr 7, 2022, 4:22 pm

Hello. I haven't been to SYD in a couple of years. I'm use to collecting bags in T1, dropping them off at QF domestic drop off, clearing security and being driven to T3 airside.
No more, right? I'm not sure what is the benefit of the Seamless service. Do you still have to take your bags on the bus from Int to Dom?

In this case I'm arriving on SQ at 10:25am and departing on QF (Sunstate) at 1:05pm.

Will I have to clear immigration/customs, collect bag, take T bus with bag, recheck at QF Dom T3 and clear security?
Or will at least there be a QF baggage drop in T1? It seems there is no way to clear security any longer in T1 and be transferred airside without bags T1 to T3 but at least hoping there is a way to get rid of bags in T1.

Thanks for the advice.

I am OWE if that matters which I suspect it doesn't.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.