Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Caution when booking QF A380 flights....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2022, 5:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF, LM

Hi all,
Just wanted to share a recent QF experience flying LAX-SYD last week. I purchased the ticket with the aircraft advertised as an A380. Did seat selection, all good. Flew a few other sectors to get to LAX, then advised upon arrival at LAX that they had changed airframe. Now a 787. So suddenly, three hours out, my seat selection was vanished. Went from a fairly spacious experience to a plane that was not just full but many pax off-loaded to other (AA, etc) flights.
I get they they (QF) are only just re-starting many flights, but I was not happy about this. To me a 787 and an A380 are chalk and cheese for a trans-pacific flight. And that whatever seat selection you do is meaningless is also hurtful.
I share this experience (reality) just to give other's a "heads-up" that this may happen.
At the end of the day, in the fine print you are not buying a seat on a specific aircraft, just a ticket from "A" to "B". But I would not have purchased this ticket if I knew in advance it was a 787.
Juddles.
Old Mar 5, 2022, 5:19 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
The only way to deal with this is setup EF alerts.

The way Altea works is that if your seat number exists on the new aircraft, you are automatically moved. If not, you can lose any selection.

Also, the first A388 that was flying has no IFE and Skybeds which many are complaining about.

You actually flew in a superior seat if in J.
SW7London likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2022, 3:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by juddles
At the end of the day, in the fine print you are not buying a seat on a specific aircraft, just a ticket from "A" to "B".
I think that this is the key part that also shows the flaw in the thread title. You purchase tickets to go from A-B , not for a speciific aeroplane.. You are not booking QF A380 flights, so no caution in that respect is required
Old Mar 5, 2022, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I think that this is the key part that also shows the flaw in the thread title. You purchase tickets to go from A-B , not for a speciific aeroplane.. You are not booking QF A380 flights, so no caution in that respect is required
If all aircraft had the same product I’d agree. But QF’s website currently distinguishes between the product available on its A330s and 787s vs the A380. It gives you the choice to book the aircraft type based on the product relevant to that aircraft. If aircraft type truly didn’t matter airlines wouldn’t/shouldn’t include and market those details as part of the booking process.

I would agree however that for most people, a swap to a 787 is an upgrade from the non-refurbed A380. Although the skybed may suit tall people.
Old Mar 5, 2022, 4:42 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
If all aircraft had the same product I’d agree. But QF’s website currently distinguishes between the product available on its A330s and 787s vs the A380. It gives you the choice to book the aircraft type based on the product relevant to that aircraft. If aircraft type truly didn’t matter airlines wouldn’t/shouldn’t include and market those details as part of the booking process.

I would agree however that for most people, a swap to a 787 is an upgrade from the non-refurbed A380. Although the skybed may suit tall people.
Ant seasoned traveller knows aircraft swaps happen, for better or worse.

Again Business Suite >>> Skybed.
DiamondMile likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2022, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by m0hamed
Ant seasoned traveller knows aircraft swaps happen, for better or worse.

Again Business Suite >>> Skybed.
Sure, but the airlines should also offer a free date change if the passenger wants that specific product, as advertised. Most won’t, but some might.

Overall the new biz product is better, but as a tall person the skybed - if it works properly - is a better sleep for me without any restrictions of a tiny footwell. That might be a deciding factor for some.
og likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2022, 5:52 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Sure, but the airlines should also offer a free date change if the passenger wants that specific product, as advertised. Most won’t, but some might.

Overall the new biz product is better, but as a tall person the skybed - if it works properly - is a better sleep for me without any restrictions of a tiny footwell. That might be a deciding factor for some.
I believe QR allow QR ticketed pax to reroute within a 500 mile radius from their destination when Q Suites get swapped out.

I don't know other airlines that have this policy.
Old Mar 5, 2022, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by m0hamed
I believe QR allow QR ticketed pax to reroute within a 500 mile radius from their destination when Q Suites get swapped out.

I don't know other airlines that have this policy.
That's the point isn't it? There's no restriction on other airlines offering the same as QR.

While not quite the same, IIRC BA paid cash compensation at check-in for the 'old' F product vs the 'new'.
Old Mar 6, 2022, 4:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Dave,

I get what you say and substantially agree as per airlines fine print. But some travellers (such as myself) are influenced by the actual plane offered. I do not sleep well in any class, on any plane, so I love the space of an A380. The ticket was sold to me by Qantas as an A380. The large airframe was what swayed me.

Airlines are a diabolical thing where they can sell a product yet then swap it without any recourse. I truly get that, even if I do not agree with it. My thread was just to alert people that at the moment QF is selling A380 seats when they will actually not fly them.

Yes, they will get you to your destination. As per the fine print. As in this case, you may actually find yourself flying not only a different aircraft but a different airline.

But they sold me that seat as an A380....

Juddles
Old Mar 6, 2022, 4:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The distinction between the a380 and 787 will be pretty much gone once they bring the refurbished frames online. The seats are the same.
Old Mar 6, 2022, 5:17 am
Original Poster

The distinction between the a380 and 787 will be pretty much gone once they bring the refurbished frames online. The seats are the same.
Not if you like to wander
Old Mar 6, 2022, 5:50 am

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
Not if you like to wander
That's my line.....
When related to wandering
Fred
Old Mar 6, 2022, 1:37 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
The 789 is very noisy (inside) compared with the 380.
Old Mar 6, 2022, 2:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Airlines are a diabolical thing where they can sell a product yet then swap it without any recourse.

Yes, they will get you to your destination. As per the fine print. As in this case, you may actually find yourself flying not only a different aircraft but a different airline.

People confuse goods and services all the time. Airlines don't sell you a product, they sell you a service of transportation from one place to another. Not a specific seat, not a specific aircraft, not a specific route, but transportation between the two places mentioned on your ticket.

Similarly, if you booked a flight from Sydney to Los Angeles that happens to have a stop in Honolulu specifically because you wanted to see Hawaii, you'd be disappointed but without recourse if the airline instead decided to fly you on a partner airline directly to Los Angeles.

Aircraft swaps happen all the time, unfortunately.
DiamondMile and nancypants like this.
Old Mar 6, 2022, 2:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Dave,

Airlines are a diabolical thing where they can sell a product yet then swap it without any recourse. I truly get that, even if I do not agree with it. My thread was just to alert people that at the moment QF is selling A380 seats when they will actually not fly them.

There is no fine print in this - the airline allows you to book travel from A-B - the travel is the 'product' and that is what it is still giving you. It didnt sell you a seat on an A380.

Even within a single type of aeroplane there is no guarantee of a specific one. When they were in use, I would often travel MEL-SYD on a Friday on a 767. Sometimes the 1-2-2 layour international configuration business class aeroplane would be replaced wth a 2-2-2 layout; c'est la vie

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.