Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

QF9/10 MEL to LHR via DRW - disembark in transit?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2022, 10:54 am
Original Poster

Looking to book this flight that transits via DRW. Both legs of the flight (LHR to DRW, DRW to MEL) are the same flight number, presume the same aircraft, with a stop in DRW.

Do you stay on the plane during the stop or have to go out into the terminal? And presume if the latter, you have to bring all your carry-on off the plane, just to bring it back on?
Old Feb 17, 2022, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by boonkoh
Do you stay on the plane during the stop or have to go out into the terminal? And presume if the latter, you have to bring all your carry-on off the plane, just to bring it back on?
Everyone has to disembark at DRW, not sure about carry on, but I'd be taking mine with me.

Note there is a small lounge set up for those who are in business or have sufficient status.
Old Feb 17, 2022, 7:40 pm

Programs: QF
All carry on is removed for security checks
Old Feb 25, 2022, 3:25 pm

This gives you a pretty good idea of the process;
at 20:50 etc
In effect you get off the plane, with your hand luggage, while it is cleaned (refuled, and extra catering added), but you spend the hour in a separate sealed off part of the terminal, and then just walk up the airbridge again.
Remember that in both directions this counts as an international flight MEL-LHR and LHR-MEL and DRW is just a 'technical' stop, not a real stop.
Carfield likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2022, 11:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by jrfsp320
All carry on is removed for security checks
Due to security reasons. You must take a carryon bag along with you. You must go through Immigration and customs. Once you done at customs. You can go back boarding the aircraft again.
Old Feb 25, 2022, 11:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by N830MH
Due to security reasons. You must take a carryon bag along with you. You must go through Immigration and customs. Once you done at customs. You can go back boarding the aircraft again.
Incorrect. Refer post 4
Old Mar 2, 2022, 10:45 pm

Originally Posted by lorkers
This gives you a pretty good idea of the process;
at 20:50 etc
In effect you get off the plane, with your hand luggage, while it is cleaned (refuled, and extra catering added), but you spend the hour in a separate sealed off part of the terminal, and then just walk up the airbridge again.
Remember that in both directions this counts as an international flight MEL-LHR and LHR-MEL and DRW is just a 'technical' stop, not a real stop.
Curious as to why passengers are deboarded if it is only a technical stop for refuelling? I've been on many flights that refueled while passengers were still on board.
Old Mar 3, 2022, 3:01 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by superboi
Curious as to why passengers are deboarded if it is only a technical stop for refuelling? I've been on many flights that refueled while passengers were still on board.
How on earth do you effectively clean the plane when it’s full of pax? Especially on the east bound flight
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2022, 4:04 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by og
How on earth do you effectively clean the plane when it’s full of pax? Especially on the east bound flight
Some airlines don't bother to clean planes on technical stops (esp. if they are a bit out of the way). For example SAA used to have a technical stop in Cape Verde Islands for MIA-JNB flight, and that was neither cleaned nor reprovisioned -- they just refueled. Pax stayed onboard, but admonished to keep their seatbelts unfastened in case of an emergency deplaning Got to love the smell of jet fuel when you are a pax.
Old Mar 3, 2022, 5:56 am

Programs: QF P1 + LTG VA Plat, AA nothing, HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by N830MH
This isn’t correct. I have flown this flight in both directions. You do have to remove all carry on but there is definitely no immigration/ customs.
Old Mar 3, 2022, 6:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
So no pax will disembark or embark at DRW?
I suppose there is no domestic flight offerred for the SYD-DRW/DRW-SYD legs?
Old Mar 3, 2022, 1:17 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by SK AAR
So no pax will disembark or embark at DRW?
I suppose there is no domestic flight offerred for the SYD-DRW/DRW-SYD legs?
I checked a few dates and it seems to be possible to book MEL-DRW/DRW-MEL on QF9/10, but not SYD-DRW/DRW-SYD on QF1/2 (maybe it's full).

It would be operated as an international flight, which means you must carry ID and go through immigration, although you would not be recorded as departing / entering Australia.

You would use the international terminals at MEL or SYD (some distance away from the domestic), and go through international security screening which means no liquids over 100ml etc (normally allowed on domestics), and I believe at DRW that means going through security twice.
Old Mar 7, 2022, 8:22 pm

Programs: Qantas Gold
I just did this route last week.
  • You have to get off at Darwin and then you sit in the small terminal area.
  • The lounge is makeshift, but quite nice.
  • No security checks or immigration. You get callled back on the plane in 45mins.
  • They clean the plane and there is new cabin crew.
The video posted is very accurate. Overall a great experience and easy way to get to the UK without having to worry about other country COVID requirements.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.