Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Flying from UK to Oz? Bring your own LFT

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2022, 8:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold

To anyone this might benefit, here's my experience from Jan 3rd through to today:

LHR: No queue for Premium check in... being a Brit, the agent had to call to confirm my exemption to the travel ban, but that was it, no checks for vaccine, PCR test, decleration or state permit.

MEL: Myself and the odd-other Brit aboard taken aside at immigration to show Vaccination certificate and decleration, and that was that. Still no check for a negative PCR....seems incredible.

Vaccinated travellers only need to quarantine for as long as it takes to get a negative PCR....but because of a backlog, i was told at a testing center today that that could take 5-6 days. What i didn't now until now is that they also accept rapid antigen (RA, aka LFT in the UK), but, of course, they're impossible to find. So....my advice if you're flying to Oz any time in the next week, bring a lateral flow test with you!

Tom
juddles and SW7London like this.
Old Jan 5, 2022, 11:39 am

Programs: QF P1 + LTG VA Plat, AA nothing, HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by the-doctor
To anyone this might benefit, here's my experience from Jan 3rd through to today:

LHR: No queue for Premium check in... being a Brit, the agent had to call to confirm my exemption to the travel ban, but that was it, no checks for vaccine, PCR test, decleration or state permit.

MEL: Myself and the odd-other Brit aboard taken aside at immigration to show Vaccination certificate and decleration, and that was that. Still no check for a negative PCR....seems incredible.

Vaccinated travellers only need to quarantine for as long as it takes to get a negative PCR....but because of a backlog, i was told at a testing center today that that could take 5-6 days. What i didn't now until now is that they also accept rapid antigen (RA, aka LFT in the UK), but, of course, they're impossible to find. So....my advice if you're flying to Oz any time in the next week, bring a lateral flow test with you!

Tom
I’m going back to SYD later this month from LHR and have stored boxes of them 🤣
BD1959 likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2022, 1:51 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by the-doctor

LHR: No queue for Premium check in... being a Brit, the agent had to call to confirm my exemption to the travel ban, but that was it, no checks for vaccine, PCR test, decleration or state permit. ...
QF at LHR are trialing an IATA digital PCR attachment to your airline ticket, perhaps you already had your PCR results attached. QF has a list of test labs in the UK which will do this and perhaps you used one of them. I do know someone who flew LHR-DRW just before christmas, and there was extensive checks done for covid doc, both at LHR and upon arrival in Oz. Maybe the recently announced UK covid changes has led to your experience (seems odd).
Old Jan 6, 2022, 2:02 pm
Original Poster

Hiya, at the time of booking, the IATA app's lab location function didn't work, so I went for ExpressTest which doesn't link to the app, see the following thread:

Qantas / IATA Travel Pass / ExpressTest

No request for, or any mention of IATA at check in or anywhere else on Jan 3rd.

Tom
Old Jan 6, 2022, 2:56 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by Princess fiona
I have done the same thing! Also made sure that they are on the list of TGA approved tests.
Old Jan 6, 2022, 6:51 pm

Programs: QF, LM
Originally Posted by Princess fiona
Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
I have done the same thing! Also made sure that they are on the list of TGA approved tests.
Wow! Amazing times when you fill your incoming baggage with Covid tests rather than duty-free grog and destination trinkets
nivsy likes this.

Last edited by juddles; Jan 6, 2022 at 6:52 pm Reason: speeling
Old Jan 7, 2022, 10:06 am

Programs: |QF Platinum|HH Gold|DL Silver|ALL Silver|
I just went to a Boots pharmacy here in the UK and they gave a set of 7 NHS rapid antigen tests at no cost. I'm assuming they will be fine?
Old Jan 7, 2022, 1:28 pm
Original Poster

Pretty much the same thing yes. Only difference i can tell is the instructions here is to swab the nostrils only.
Supersonic Swinger likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.