Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Melbourne same day PCR test recommendation [General pre departure test discussion]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Melbourne same day PCR test recommendation [General pre departure test discussion]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2022, 1:45 pm

Programs: QF WP LTG, HHonors Diamond, NZ Gold
Originally Posted by serfty
There has been some poor communication from Histopath.

The tests can be done within 24 hours of departure, even if day before. I have had this clarified.

So, for example, a test can be done at the airport in the afternoon before a next day 10am departure.
Thanks. However I have a further AY SIN-HEL and don't want to hit any potential "within 24hrs" issues when boarding with AY so am thinking it needs to be same days as AU departure ...

Not so sure the blame lies entirely with Histopath on any comms issues - as others have pointed out its the airlines which are being made responsible for policing so really all of the comms would ideally be coming from them. They are doing their best, I'm sure, but - as usual - complex itineraries tend to get forgotten ...

Regards,

BD
Old Jan 6, 2022, 1:46 am

Programs: HH, VA, QF, SQ, Air NZ
Originally Posted by FlossieFlyer
Has anyone been able to get an Express PCR test at Sydney Airport then going on a domestic flight to connect to an international flight sine the Christmas kerfuffle?
All 1 ticket - SYD-DRW-DIL on QF

Thanks
Flossie
I was able to reach an actual person at Histopath and ask the question. They confirmed I could do the test prior to the domestic flight due to the tight connection.

We shall see next Wednesday.

Cheers
Flossie
BD1959 and Freespirit1 like this.
Old Jan 6, 2022, 1:42 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by BD1959
Thanks. However I have a further AY SIN-HEL and don't want to hit any potential "within 24hrs" issues when boarding with AY so am thinking it needs to be same days as AU departure ...
Your bigger problem is that Finland requires test to be within 48 hours of your arrival time in HEL. That is probably your most stringent requirement for setting the test timeframe (though I'm guessing there is leeway for pax transitting SIN). It used to be 72 hours but changed a week ago. Also I'm sure you are aware that within Finland you cannot do much without an EU vaccine certificate, Australian one isn't accepted for leaving your hotel room
Old Jan 6, 2022, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by BD1959

Not so sure the blame lies entirely with Histopath on any comms issues - as others have pointed out its the airlines which are being made responsible for policing so really all of the comms would ideally be coming from them. They are doing their best, I'm sure, but - as usual - complex itineraries tend to get forgotten ...

Regards,

BD
Histopath have updated their website again.

The text is somewhat obtuse but basically means from any time the calendar day before travel.
Due to unprecedented demand, we are allowing international travellers to attend our pre-departure testing at Sydney, Brisbane and Melbourne International airports 24 hours prior to the day of departure. If this is not possible, there are express services available at these airports, but please ensure you arrive at least 4 or 5 hours prior to departure to secure your test and receive your results.
Old Jan 20, 2022, 11:15 am

Programs: Qantas WP, United Platinum
Curious if anyone has any recent experience at the SYD Histopath center? How were the lines, any major delays?
Old Jan 20, 2022, 7:05 pm

Programs: QF WP LTG, HHonors Diamond, NZ Gold
Originally Posted by number_6
Your bigger problem is that Finland requires test to be within 48 hours of your arrival time in HEL. That is probably your most stringent requirement for setting the test timeframe (though I'm guessing there is leeway for pax transitting SIN). It used to be 72 hours but changed a week ago. Also I'm sure you are aware that within Finland you cannot do much without an EU vaccine certificate, Australian one isn't accepted for leaving your hotel room
Thanks for all the anecdotal experiences - and updates - folks!!

Given all the constraints and uncertainties, I've rescheduled my trip for later in the year. In doing so I've also:

- Split the domestic connection so that the MEL-SYD is now the evening prior to the outbound leg to SIN, this should allow me ample time to get tests etc conducted the morning prior to the international outbound leg
- Rebooked the HEL stop so that there's no stay in HEL itself but immediately transits through to the UK

Doubtless things will shift again prior to my actual departure - heavens, there's time for another strain to emerge!! - but I will be so glad once airlines and governments bring some stability back to requirements.

Regards,

BD
Old Jan 26, 2022, 7:18 am

Programs: QF, TK, VA, SQ
Posting a question in here under the guise of QF related "General pre departure test discussion"-

I live in the UK, late next month am going to be travelling BA from FCO-LHR and then connecting (overnight) to QF2 LHR-SYD.

I appreciate the rapid antigen test option has only just come into effect in Australia, but does anyone know if the requirement is/would be 24hrs before the flight bound for Australia, or the first flight on the booking? (in my case, from FCO the day before).

I saw mention upthread that for a Dom - Int connection you'd need to test before the domestic flight before being able to check in at all, so wondering if anyone knows how it works.

My backup option is to get a more costly/more sensitive PCR test e.g. 2 days before LHR-SYD (1 day before FCO-LHR) which covers both requirements, but living in the COVID Kingdom makes me wary about getting it in the next couple of weeks and screwing plans up. It goes without saying I will also be getting myself to FCO to take the outbound flight on my ticket.

I also read on the Aus Gov't website the requirement to for a test certificate to include the brand and make of the test (for RAT tests) which is interesting- I've never seen that on a test that I've taken before- I'm assuming this is so they can check if it's approved by the TGA? In which case maybe it's easier to just go PCR.

Sorry if this is too far from the topic at hand!
Freespirit1 likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2022, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pythonisman
Posting a question in here under the guise of QF related "General pre departure test discussion"-

I live in the UK, late next month am going to be travelling BA from FCO-LHR and then connecting (overnight) to QF2 LHR-SYD.
Have a read of the last ~10 posts here--->Australia’s response to Covid-19 [general border control thread]
pythonisman likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2022, 7:36 pm

Programs: QF Gold (OW Sapphire), O6*G
Anyone had any recent experience with this at MEL? Flying out to NZ next Tuesday and thinking about doing our tests at Histopath given it's half the price of everyone else - but don't want to get stuck in a queue for hours.

Their website now says testing up to 72 hours prior is OK, but Melbourne Airport site still says same day only.
Old Feb 28, 2022, 8:39 pm

Histopath

Book online $79
Small line up, they are efficient. They say 90 minutes but I got the SMS in 20 then went back and they print for free
To be clear 72 hours is no longer, it has moved to 48 but Histopath need to see your flight details and passport to record it on the travel documents
Take a couple of RATs with you for day 1 and 5/6 but they should give you 3 on arrival
Happy travels, NZ needs rain, it's so freaking brown so please take some with you
Old Feb 28, 2022, 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by Freespirit1
Book online $79
Small line up, they are efficient. They say 90 minutes but I got the SMS in 20 then went back and they print for free
To be clear 72 hours is no longer, it has moved to 48 but Histopath need to see your flight details and passport to record it on the travel documents
Take a couple of RATs with you for day 1 and 5/6 but they should give you 3 on arrival
Happy travels, NZ needs rain, it's so freaking brown so please take some with you
Thanks - yep aware NZ is 48 hours but appears Histopath will now do 72 hours if that is what another country's requirement is.

I have about a dozen RATs sitting here so should be good. May grab a few more before we head off.
Freespirit1 likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2022, 5:40 pm

Booked online and went to Histopath at MEL yesterday afternoon (Just after the 48 hour window for our flight opened). Waited in the queue for about 10 mins, then took about 5 mins to test the 3 of us travelling. Got our negative results by email 35 mins later. Really impressed with how slick their operation is. And it's half the price of everyone else who take up to 2 days to get you a result!
Freespirit1 likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2022, 6:03 pm

Histopath

Slick...I like that I have been quoting Efficient. I can sing their praises in Sydney also

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.