Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Redeemed for First Class, Bumped to Business?

Redeemed for First Class, Bumped to Business?

Old Nov 1, 2021, 6:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UR, MR, TYP
Question Redeemed for First Class, Bumped to Business?

In celebration of my birthday, I've planned a trip to Thailand. I transferred a bunch of points to QF to book a first class (Z) trip home on CX from HKG to JFK. YAY!

Last week, CX wrote me an email: "You’ve been moved to a different flight to New York, John F Kennedy. We’re very sorry for this unexpected change. Your original flight was cancelled due to operational reasons. We understand how disruptive this change may be. We've therefore placed you on the closest possible flight to minimise the impact on your plans. Your original flight was cancelled due to operational reasons. We understand how disruptive this change may be. We've therefore placed you on the closest possible flight to minimise the impact on your plans."

I looked it up and...I'm now in business class (U)? Uhhhh...I paid for first. I discovered that the A350 doesn't have first class. That's the problem. I tried using qantas.com to see my options but there's some technical glitch. When I click "Change" on the booking, it loops me back to the same page over and over. Nothing happens. Ugh. So I'm trying to get data using other methods. Logging into Asia Miles, it now it seems that all of the CX first class awards are waitlisted? I don't see available class Z in Expert Flyer on flights that do have first class. Frustrating because I did this right, got first when it was available and now they canceled it on me!

The whole point: I'm wanting to fly first class long haul as a treat to myself.

Sooooooo.....what to do?

First thought: Call Qantas to see if they can suddenly see something on their end? My dates are extremely flexible! I was booked in first so I'm hoping to get booked into first again. I've been on hold for 6 hours so far. No answer. Ugh...

Second thought: Cancel this entire situation and start over and book a different flight, possibly on a different airline. This, of course, means I now will have Qantas points to track and make sure don't expire. Not what I was hoping for...

I just want to make sure my logic and understanding is all correct. Does this track?
Old Nov 1, 2021, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

When is(was) the flight?
Is CX flying an aircraft from HKG to JFK that has first class about the date you want? (other than the A350)
Airlines/routes/aircraft with first class is decreasing. Just the way it is

A map from Great Circle Mapper - Great Circle Mapper
Old Nov 1, 2021, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by laffingleigh
In celebration of my birthday, I've planned a trip to Thailand. I transferred a bunch of points to QF to book a first class (Z) trip home on CX from HKG to JFK. YAY!

Last week, CX wrote me an email: "You’ve been moved to a different flight to New York, John F Kennedy. We’re very sorry for this unexpected change. Your original flight was cancelled due to operational reasons. We understand how disruptive this change may be. We've therefore placed you on the closest possible flight to minimise the impact on your plans. Your original flight was cancelled due to operational reasons. We understand how disruptive this change may be. We've therefore placed you on the closest possible flight to minimise the impact on your plans."

I looked it up and...I'm now in business class (U)? Uhhhh...I paid for first. I discovered that the A350 doesn't have first class. That's the problem. I tried using qantas.com to see my options but there's some technical glitch. When I click "Change" on the booking, it loops me back to the same page over and over. Nothing happens. Ugh. So I'm trying to get data using other methods. Logging into Asia Miles, it now it seems that all of the CX first class awards are waitlisted? I don't see available class Z in Expert Flyer on flights that do have first class. Frustrating because I did this right, got first when it was available and now they canceled it on me!

The whole point: I'm wanting to fly first class long haul as a treat to myself.

Sooooooo.....what to do?

First thought: Call Qantas to see if they can suddenly see something on their end? My dates are extremely flexible! I was booked in first so I'm hoping to get booked into first again. I've been on hold for 6 hours so far. No answer. Ugh...

Second thought: Cancel this entire situation and start over and book a different flight, possibly on a different airline. This, of course, means I now will have Qantas points to track and make sure don't expire. Not what I was hoping for...

I just want to make sure my logic and understanding is all correct. Does this track?
I would find another flight that is operating with a First cabin, if there is one. and ask to be placed on that rather than the 'closest possible flight'. It may be that CX has to open award inventory for you.
Old Nov 2, 2021, 4:16 pm

Programs: NZ
Despite the fact that you are having a problem with the change option, I would still use the normal QF booking tool to find CX F availability on or around the day you are looking at. The best way to do this is to use the multi-city option using points and with flexible dates and then you will see the calendar format from which it should be realtively easy to find F avaialbility (if there is any). Once you have found a suitable flight you will have to call in to change your flight, assuming the change option is still not working.
Old Nov 2, 2021, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by minz56
Despite the fact that you are having a problem with the change option, I would still use the normal QF booking tool to find CX F availability on or around the day you are looking at. The best way to do this is to use the multi-city option using points and with flexible dates and then you will see the calendar format from which it should be realtively easy to find F avaialbility (if there is any). Once you have found a suitable flight you will have to call in to change your flight, assuming the change option is still not working.
Ideally this would be the best solution, but if there's no availability it might be that CX is willing to release F inventory given they initiated the cancellation.
Old Nov 2, 2021, 5:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
When is(was) the flight?
Is CX flying an aircraft from HKG to JFK that has first class about the date you want? (other than the A350)
Airlines/routes/aircraft with first class is decreasing. Just the way it is

A map from Great Circle Mapper - Great Circle Mapper
The flight was 1/31. There is a flight with first class on 1/30 AND 2/1, but none have Z.
Old Nov 2, 2021, 5:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
I would find another flight that is operating with a First cabin, if there is one. and ask to be placed on that rather than the 'closest possible flight'. It may be that CX has to open award inventory for you.
Would CX open award inventory for me? I got the impression, after calling CX twice, that QF has to do all the work and QF couldn't find anything.
Old Nov 2, 2021, 6:15 pm

Programs: NZ
Originally Posted by laffingleigh
Would CX open award inventory for me? I got the impression, after calling CX twice, that QF has to do all the work and QF couldn't find anything.
Possibly - but you need to get QF to request this from CX which they should be willing to do given the circumstances. I realise that calling QF is a pain at the moment due to the hold times, so you may want to try emailing them at [email protected].
Old Nov 2, 2021, 6:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by minz56
Possibly - but you need to get QF to request this from CX which they should be willing to do given the circumstances. I realise that calling QF is a pain at the moment due to the hold times, so you may want to try emailing them at [email protected].
Oh man, I wish I had known that. I finally go through to Qantas after a cumulative 12 hours of waiting on hold over 3 days and canceled my flight, given that there were no more first class options for 3 months. I'm going to email them now. Thank you very kindly for this suggestion.
Old Nov 8, 2021, 2:56 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
IME QF will simply offer to rebook you on what's available or refund the points difference.

Also, this has happened to me on all of my CX redemptions with QFF intra Asia so much that I gave up trying to fly CX F!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.