Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Help. Refund flights online possible?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2021, 7:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Elite; QF Platinum; CZ Gold; MU Platinum; Marriott Titanium; Accor Platinum

If anyone can help would be appreciated. I booked fully flexi flights CHC-SYD and SYD-MEL for next week but online my only option seems to be to cancel for a voucher not a refund

I tried to call but even as a plat still not answered after thirty minutes

Does anyone know if its possible to cancel and refund online?
Thanks
Old May 6, 2021, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Keep trying the Plat phone number.
The SYD-NZ trans Tasman bubble pause will be putting some extra work load on phone operators
NZ consumer laws are weaker the AU consumer laws
QF are flying CHC-MEL non stop

https://www.qantas.com/nz/en/travel-...d-refunds.html
https://www.qantas.com/nz/en/book-a-...ds-policy.html
Old May 6, 2021, 9:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Elite; QF Platinum; CZ Gold; MU Platinum; Marriott Titanium; Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Keep trying the Plat phone number.
The SYD-NZ trans Tasman bubble pause will be putting some extra work load on phone operators
NZ consumer laws are weaker the AU consumer laws
QF are flying CHC-MEL non stop

https://www.qantas.com/nz/en/travel-...d-refunds.html
https://www.qantas.com/nz/en/book-a-...ds-policy.html

thanks for those links but in my case I have a flex ticket specifically paid extra so i would not need to refund via voucher, its nothing to do with covid terms they offer (although my reasons for changing are related to that personally with the Sydney issues)

it just seems bizare that you cannot cancel and refund a flex ticket without calling them

Is there indeed no way to cancel a flex online?
Old May 7, 2021, 1:37 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by oranjemakker
thanks for those links but in my case I have a flex ticket specifically paid extra so i would not need to refund via voucher, its nothing to do with covid terms they offer (although my reasons for changing are related to that personally with the Sydney issues)

it just seems bizare that you cannot cancel and refund a flex ticket without calling them

Is there indeed no way to cancel a flex online?
Not that I know of unless platinum1 (can use the special email). As you've experienced, with long phone queues the refund option is now slightly less useful for last minute cancellations.
Old May 7, 2021, 4:24 pm

Programs: NZ
Are you calling 0800 808 767 from NZ?

If so you should get the callback option, which I have found really useful when the wait times are very long.
Old May 8, 2021, 7:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by minz56
Are you calling 0800 808 767 from NZ?

If so you should get the callback option, which I have found really useful when the wait times are very long.
thank you yeah i called the NZ number but didn't get the callback option. In the end on Saturday hold time was 20 minutes so bearable, but I can't imagine what the hold time must be like for non status pax.

Seems remarkably inefficient they don't offer this option within the app like AirNZ does
Old Nov 5, 2021, 11:44 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Anyone else been through this recently? I'm trying to help a non-FTer friend who's in the same situation. He has a fully refundable booking for SIN-MEL in December, and the website and app are only offering travel credit.

He spent over an hour on the phone on hold tonight, and eventually got punted to the post-call customer service survey, without ever getting any customer service.

Is there any way to resolve this other than talking to someone on the phone?
Old Nov 9, 2021, 10:15 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Update to my post from a few days ago: my friend called again and spent 4.5 hours on hold before getting disconnected. Tried reaching out on Facebook, no response from QF's team on Messenger after a day or so. Finally he called in and selected the option to book a domestic flight. When they called him back a couple hours later, instead of booking a flight, he had them process his refund. They did it and said it would take 6-8 weeks to show up.

A pretty poor experience all around for a fully refundable ticket, not one where he was relying on a schedule change or other event to create a refund, but one that can be refunded automatically online with just about every other airline I've ever dealt with. Having paid such a huge premium for such a ticket, he was pretty frustrated and said he would definitely factor this in next time he's looking to buy air tickets.
Old Nov 13, 2021, 10:36 pm
ATD

Programs: Emirates Skywards, Delta Skymiles, Continental Onepass, etc.
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Update to my post from a few days ago: my friend called again and spent 4.5 hours on hold before getting disconnected. Tried reaching out on Facebook, no response from QF's team on Messenger after a day or so. Finally he called in and selected the option to book a domestic flight. When they called him back a couple hours later, instead of booking a flight, he had them process his refund. They did it and said it would take 6-8 weeks to show up.
Just cancelled a Classic Award booking this morning and was hoping the points would be re-credited instantly so I can rebook today itself while the 30% Awards discount is still on. Miles haven't come back even a few hours later and despite calling Qantas USA and Australia and being on hold for over two hours, got disconnected twice. Seems hopeless to get them on the phone (whereas Virgin picks up in minutes). Anyone know how long it should take for the points to be re-credited?

--ATD

Last edited by DownUnderFlyer; Nov 14, 2021 at 3:51 am Reason: Fixed quote
Old Nov 13, 2021, 11:21 pm
ATD

Programs: Emirates Skywards, Delta Skymiles, Continental Onepass, etc.
found some answers a few threads down. My bad to think they would be credited immediately. I guess we will miss on the 30% discount!
Old Nov 14, 2021, 3:57 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by ATD
found some answers a few threads down. My bad to think they would be credited immediately. I guess we will miss on the 30% discount!
While this thread is mainly about cash refunds this information might still be of interest to people. The thread you were referring to is this one:

Reward flight refund - should i worry?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.