Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Qantas refund query [Corona, booked through Travel Agent]

Old Nov 29, 20, 10:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Qantas

We had a flight to USA cancelled by Qantas due to Corona. We booked thru a travel agent. We have our money back less $400 each in Qantas Admin fees. From my research, I didnít think Qantas were charging anything for processing refunds. What have others experienced?
Old Nov 29, 20, 10:25 pm

Programs: NZ
If the flight was cancelled by QF there should be no airline imposed fee. I got back 100% of my NZ/US fare when it was cancelled in March, but I booked direct with QF. Could be the travel agent is trying to impose a cancellation charge.
AussieBird likes this.
Old Nov 29, 20, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AussieBird Welcome to FT

Originally Posted by AussieBird View Post
We had a flight to USA cancelled by Qantas due to Corona. We booked thru a travel agent. We have our money back less $400 each in Qantas Admin fees. From my research, I didnít think Qantas were charging anything for processing refunds. What have others experienced?
Far more likely the travel agent. Who was the TA?

Travel Centre was the subject of some news.
https://www.choice.com.au/travel/on-...-agent-refunds

https://www.accc.gov.au/consumers/co...-for-consumers
AussieBird likes this.
Old Nov 30, 20, 12:52 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF SG, LH SEN, OZ D+, HH D, SPG P
[mod hat] Updated the title for clarity. [/mod hat]
Old Nov 30, 20, 1:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
Agreed. This is probably your travel agent taking a fee.
Old Nov 30, 20, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by LondonElite View Post
Agreed. This is probably your travel agent taking a fee.
And they should take a fee for booking and cancelling it. However does seem excessive
Old Nov 30, 20, 4:14 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Annalisa12 View Post
And they should take a fee for booking and cancelling it. However does seem excessive
I don't agree that it *should* take a fee for processing a refund when the booking was not cancelled by the passenger - whether it is entitled to charging a fee for cancelling a service not provided is something that a discussion with a credit card company on whether that is a disputable charge would seem to be a good point

Any original booking fee ( as long as disclosed as such rather than just charging an inflated fee for the flight ) would seem to be reasonablle for the company to keep
Old Nov 30, 20, 7:26 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LT Titanium ANA Plat
Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
I don't agree that it *should* take a fee for processing a refund when the booking was not cancelled by the passenger - whether it is entitled to charging a fee for cancelling a service not provided is something that a discussion with a credit card company on whether that is a disputable charge would seem to be a good point

Any original booking fee ( as long as disclosed as such rather than just charging an inflated fee for the flight ) would seem to be reasonablle for the company to keep
Surely by haandling the cancellation they are providing a service ? Sounds and excessive number though. Did the OP check T&C's ? Challenge the TA.

Why use a TA, I have not done in years.
Old Nov 30, 20, 7:44 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by BRITINJAPAN4 View Post
Some tickets cannot be bought on-line and must go via a TA. E.g. a recent AY I class RTW ticket ex Oz (which top and tailed with QF flights ex Oz). The COVID cancellation and refund had to go via the TA - and they did the monthly follow-ups with AY chasing up the refund.
Old Nov 30, 20, 10:43 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by BRITINJAPAN4 View Post
Surely by haandling the cancellation they are providing a service ? Sounds and excessive number though. Did the OP check T&C's ? Challenge the TA.

No - it is refunding due to not being able to provide the service ( i.e. travel on Qantas ) - service fee for making booking, fine - service fee for a voluntary cancellation , also fine - but would suspect that the refund would be due under the merchant failing to provide goods or services paid for and be entitled to a full refund if the charge was disputed
Old Dec 1, 20, 3:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by Annalisa12 View Post
An hour's work - $50 - to cancel the bookings would have been fair, and probably no one would have complained.

Most agents never contemplated a situation where the airline would cancel and not provide an alternative flight. So their terms and conditions were silent. Unfortunately some agents gave the industry a bad name by trying to charge the same fee as a voluntary cancellation. And that was a per person charge ($1600 for a family trip to LA was one example.)

Travel agents should have gone after the airline for their fee to handle refunds, not the passenger!
Old Dec 2, 20, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OP - what did your travel agent say when you queried the $400 admin fees?
Old Dec 2, 20, 12:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Qantas
Travel Agent was part of Travel Managers group. We used her as our trip was a complicated 2 month holiday with many components. I said I was shocked by the fees as they had not been discussed. I asked her if there would have been a penalty if we had taken a credit. She did not respond so I thought I would get other people’s experiences. I will also ring Qantas when I get to sit on the phone for hours.

Last edited by AussieBird; Dec 2, 20 at 12:35 pm Reason: Wanted to say more. Typo.
Old Dec 2, 20, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I see that no one has welcomed you to FT, so welcome! I think your first step is to get in touch with the TA to ask them to break it down for you.
Old Dec 2, 20, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LondonElite View Post
I see that no one has welcomed you to FT, so welcome! I think your first step is to get in touch with the TA to ask them to break it down for you.
Post 3

The TA--> https://www.travelmanagers.com.au/

Search this Thread
Search Engine: