Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Qantas 12 month status extension with one flight

Old Nov 22, 2020, 8:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Air NZ Gold Elite, Qantas Platinum

Pretty exciting news today - see https://www.qantas.com/au/en/frequent-flyer/status-and-clubs/status/status-support.html"To be eligible for status extension, you need to book, pay and have the ticket issued on at least one of the following:
  • Any Qantas operated flight with a QF flight number, or
  • Any Qantas Points earning Jetstar international booking with a JQ flight number including Jetstar flights within New Zealand (JQ), Jetstar Japan (GK) and Jetstar Asia (3K) flights. Jetstar domestic flights within Australia are ineligible."
Old Nov 22, 2020, 9:00 pm

Programs: QF WP
No love for those of us on Airnorth codeshares 😂

I feel a random turnaround in Alice springs coming on
Old Nov 23, 2020, 9:23 am

Programs: HH, VA, QF, SQ, Air NZ
Originally Posted by nancypants

Or the lovely Kununurra for a day 🥵
Old Nov 23, 2020, 3:37 pm

Programs: QF WP; VA Gold
Originally Posted by nancypants

It is very generous and well targetted - keeps the loyalty happening.

Nancypants, you only need to book and pay before you status year ends for it to kick in and then travel by 31 December 2021 or else they will take it back. Plenty of time for you. Your flight to ASP will be a very rewarding status run! I read you can change the booking but you MUST travel by 31 Dec 2021. Took a bit of reading to find the compulsion to actually travel but it is there.
nancypants likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2020, 4:10 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by mikalee
It is very generous and well targetted - keeps the loyalty happening.

Nancypants, you only need to book and pay before you status year ends for it to kick in and then travel by 31 December 2021 or else they will take it back. Plenty of time for you. Your flight to ASP will be a very rewarding status run! I read you can change the booking but you MUST travel by 31 Dec 2021. Took a bit of reading to find the compulsion to actually travel but it is there.
Are you able to provide a link and direct excerpt to the 'must travel' part?
Old Nov 23, 2020, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Need to read all the t&c's

https://www.qantas.com/au/en/frequen...s-support.html

<snip>
Who is eligible for the Status Extension?
Qantas will extend the status for Qantas Frequent Flyer members who reside in Australia or New Zealand who:
  • hold Platinum One, Platinum, Gold or Silver status and have not been able to earn the required Status Credits to retain their status;
  • have a status end date between 31 March 2021 and 31 December 2021 (inclusive); and
  • have made a new booking to travel on at least one eligible flight. The booking creation date must be between 23 November 2020 and before the member’s current status end date of between 31 March and 31 December 2021. The flight must be booked to travel before 31 December 2021.
<snip>
Old Nov 23, 2020, 7:17 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
That excerpt doesn't state a requirement to travel.
Old Nov 23, 2020, 8:59 pm

Programs: QF WP; VA Gold
Originally Posted by danger
That excerpt doesn't state a requirement to travel.
From https://www.qantas.com/au/en/frequen...s-support.html

If you cancel your booking, you will not be eligible for the status extension unless you make another eligible booking.
Are there specific dates that I need to travel by?
Yes. Travel must be completed by 31 December 2021, however, the booking must be made on or after 23 November 2020 and before your status end date as per the table below.
Reading those two together with the rest of the info the intention of the offer is to book and pay for a ticket on or after 23 Nov 2020 and before the end of your status year and for travel to occur before 31 Dec 2021.

Cancelling the booking makes you ineligible even if the status is granted. Travel must be completed by 31 Dec. If you no show????.....well that's a risky strategy to see if they have programmed their computers to handle that - you still are not travelling so couldn't complain if you miss out.

Last edited by mikalee; Nov 23, 2020 at 8:59 pm Reason: spelling
Old Mar 15, 2021, 6:55 pm

Programs: NZ
My status year ends on 31 March and am waiting for QF to confirm the rollover of my gold status (I book/flew a JQ domestic NZ flight in February). They said this would happen close to the end of March, so I would be interested to hear from others in a similar position as to when their status is extended.
Old Mar 16, 2021, 6:36 am

Programs: BA Gold, Priority Club Gold, Accor Silver, Virgin Australia Gold
Why all the discussion around no shows etc etc...heck some.of the bargains out there (more to come?) Why not just fly? They are quite appealing..already booked X2 PER-ADL returns and looking for more!
Old Apr 6, 2021, 3:48 am

Programs: QF Plat (OWE)/NZ Gold (*G)
Originally Posted by minz56
My status year ends on 31 March and am waiting for QF to confirm the rollover of my gold status (I book/flew a JQ domestic NZ flight in February). They said this would happen close to the end of March, so I would be interested to hear from others in a similar position as to when their status is extended.
I'm following up a similar issue. Just got dropped to gold from platinum so annoyed
Booked a JQ NZ flight mid December (within window), flew is mid Jan 2021. It credited correctly. Earned QF points....yet dropped to gold

Call centre is like 2 hours for a pick up so I've dropped an email and will try ring tomorrow morning
Old Apr 6, 2021, 1:29 pm

Programs: NZ
Originally Posted by NZJuniorDoc
I'm following up a similar issue. Just got dropped to gold from platinum so annoyed
Booked a JQ NZ flight mid December (within window), flew is mid Jan 2021. It credited correctly. Earned QF points....yet dropped to gold

Call centre is like 2 hours for a pick up so I've dropped an email and will try ring tomorrow morning
Same for me (except from Gold to Silver). I spoke to them yesterday and they said they would have to speak to their IT department and that they would get back to me within 24-48 hours. I suspect there may be an issue with picking up an NZ JQ flight as an eligible flight.
Old Apr 6, 2021, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by minz56
Same for me (except from Gold to Silver). I spoke to them yesterday and they said they would have to speak to their IT department and that they would get back to me within 24-48 hours. I suspect there may be an issue with picking up an NZ JQ flight as an eligible flight.
​​​​​
same reply I got this morning from the QFF team. They were like, well it clearly meets requirements, so we aren't sure why it didn't roll over
Old Apr 6, 2021, 7:17 pm

Programs: QF OWE, NZ EP, Le Club Gold, HH Silver
Keen to learn how you go, as I did the same thing recently, but my status expires in August
Old Apr 7, 2021, 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by Perk
Keen to learn how you go, as I did the same thing recently, but my status expires in August
Updated back to platinum today. No news from QFF though
Thai-Kiwi likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.