Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

QF/JQ - Reintroduced CHC/AKL-SYD from 16/10/20

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2020, 7:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Koru

https://i.stuff.co.nz/business/indus...an-bubble-news

QF and JQ have started to selling flights between Australia and New Zealand again, effect from 16 October (The day New Zealanders are allow back to NSW/NT without managed isolation).

QF:
AKL-SYD 6x weekly 738
CHC-SYD 4x weekly 738

JQ:
AKL-SYD 3x weekly

Great to see Qantas start International Services again, at such short notice.

Not sure how full they will be, with managed isolation still being required on entry to New Zealand.
Old Oct 2, 2020, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

At top level pricing
From October 16 Qantas is offering six Auckland-Sydney flights per week from $882 one way and four Christchurch-Sydney flights per week from $875 one way.

Jetstar is operating three Auckland-Sydney flights per week, starting from $279 one way.

Air New Zealand flights from Auckland to Sydney on October 16 are $592 one way.
Retuning NZers, depending on circumstance, would need to pay NZ$3100 for the 14 days isolation
From Nov needs to be "pre booked" on the NZ Gov web site.
Old Oct 5, 2020, 7:43 am

The biggest problem with the Air New Zealand flights is that they're still selling them with transiting passengers. No idea how it's going to work but it's possible to book LAX-AKL-SYD in early November and at the same time book AKL-SYD with both bookings sitting next to each other on the same trans tasman flight.

At least with the Qantas/Jetstar flights there should be no transiting passengers booked on them hence they should be operating from the "clean" part of Auckland airport.
Old Oct 5, 2020, 1:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

There doesn't seem to be a reason why passengers from Sydney to Auckland may not be in transit to another country or transitting in Auckland en-route to Sydney

Even if there isn't a through ticket, people may buy 2 separate tickets

Will depend on how NZ airports handle separation of passengers, but if it can happen currently on NZ, would seem that it could happen on QF.
Old Oct 6, 2020, 7:09 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Originally Posted by henrus
The biggest problem with the Air New Zealand flights is that they're still selling them with transiting passengers. No idea how it's going to work but it's possible to book LAX-AKL-SYD in early November and at the same time book AKL-SYD with both bookings sitting next to each other on the same trans tasman flight.

At least with the Qantas/Jetstar flights there should be no transiting passengers booked on them hence they should be operating from the "clean" part of Auckland airport.
This has peeved me off mixing transit pax with NZ/Oz when both countries have done incredibly well.

On Sunday? I think NZs A320 returns from the Norfolk route via SYD and there’s a 789 from SYD-AKL also. It’s not hard to bump transit pax onto one aircraft. Ask for a receipt along with matching credit card from 4-14 days prior to boarding. (You can transit Oz up to 72hrs I think). Alternatively Oz could say no to transit passengers. I see Qatar bringing back the AKL nonstop in March.

I called Qantas to enquire about whether transit passengers are on the SYD-AKL flights but they didn’t know. I’ll call again a week prior but it does say they’re establishing a “safe travel zone” which to me implies no transit pax.

The airlines have to deal with this in the near future so might as well sort it now.

Auckland airport already released its plans to separate safe vs high risk flights some time ago so no concerns there.
Old Oct 6, 2020, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This thread is drifting of topic to AU NZ Covid-19 policies

I flew MEL-AKL about 4 weeks ago; 64 pax and about 10 transferred to other Air NZ international flights.
NZ to AU with the one way ScoMo non-bubble my strong view will be no transit pax xxx-AKL/CHC-SYD. Flights will only be for people who have been in NZ for 14 days or more.
At the present the only international flight into CHC is SQ once a week, so a moot point.

I expect these AU Government web pages to updated some time in the next week or so. Many unanswered questions
https://covid19.homeaffairs.gov.au/
https://covid19.homeaffairs.gov.au/coming-australia

Person is this thread is hoping for BNC-DXB-AKL(EK) and then AKL-SYD (QF) on separate tickets. Am sure that will fail due to AU regulations
Emirates baggage interline to Qantas on different PNR?

I had a MEL-CHC QF flight for Oct booked months ago that was cancelled overnight.

Edit
Joint Statement – Safe travel zone with New Zealand

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Oct 7, 2020 at 1:08 pm
Old Oct 13, 2020, 12:14 am

Originally Posted by NZbutterfly

I called Qantas to enquire about whether transit passengers are on the SYD-AKL flights but they didn’t know. I’ll call again a week prior but it does say they’re establishing a “safe travel zone” which to me implies no transit pax.
Qantas has now updated their website to say no transit passengers:

"The Safe Travel Zone is not available for customers transiting via New Zealand as part of their travel to Australia from other international ports."
https://www.qantas.com/agencyconnect...-and-australia
Old Oct 13, 2020, 10:41 am

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Originally Posted by henrus
Qantas has now updated their website to say no transit passengers:

"The Safe Travel Zone is not available for customers transiting via New Zealand as part of their travel to Australia from other international ports."
https://www.qantas.com/agencyconnect...-and-australia
Thanks. I did see this recently.

Now begs the question what happens with the Air NZ flights as they’re carrying transit passengers. So if you’re only flying AkL-SYD with Air NZ and you’ve been in NZ for over 14 days, are you suddenly stuck with quarantine and a hefty bill? I’d be cancelling with Air NZ and flying Qantas if that’s the case.
Old Oct 14, 2020, 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by NZbutterfly
Now begs the question what happens with the Air NZ flights as they’re carrying transit passengers.
There will be Quarantine (transit pax) and Quarantine-Free (NZL originating pax) flights. See Air New Zealand update on Safe Travel Zone with NSW | Voxy.co.nz
NZbutterfly likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2020, 11:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

New page on the AU Gov web site https://covid19.homeaffairs.gov.au/
Link -----> New Zealand safe travel zone
From Friday, 16 October 2020, you can travel from New Zealand to Australia, quarantine-free, if:
  • you have been in New Zealand for 14 days or more and not been in a designated hotspot, and
  • you are travelling to Australia on an quarantine-free flight.
You do not need to be a New Zealand citizen to travel to Australia quarantine-free if you meet the above criteria, but you will need a valid visa to enter Australia. New Zealand citizens do not need to apply for a visa before coming to Australia. If eligible, they will be granted a Special Category visa (subclass 444) (SCV) on arrival.

A quarantine-free flight only carries passengers who have declared they have been in New Zealand for 14 days or more and have not been in a COVID hotspot in New Zealand in the last 14 days before travel. Quarantine-free flights will be determined by your airline.

Quarantine-free travel from New Zealand will initially be to New South Wales and the Northern Territory only. Other states and territories may be added at a later date.
<snip>
Arrival in Australia

Green and red zones have been created at airports in Australia to ensure the separation of passengers arriving on ‘quarantine-free’ flights, from other passengers who are required to enter 14 days mandatory quarantine.

If you travel on a quarantine-free flight, you will be guided through the green zone to complete all border clearance processes in the airport of arrival in Australia.
NZbutterfly likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.