Wiki Posts
Search

Qantas Flex Tickets

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2020, 6:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: Qantas
Qantas Flex Tickets

Apologies if this is posted in the wrong section.

I've recently opened a rewards credit card which will give me Qantas points each spend as well as the bonus points when spending an amount shortly after opening.

My question is - what are the terms and conditions surrounding Flex tickets when making a Qantas booking.

I figured instead of spending money on stupid things I don't need just to qualify for the spend limit for the bonus points - I figured I'd buy return Flex tickets overseas since I know i'll 100% be travelling overseas immediately after the restrictions are lifted... whenever that may be.

Therein lies my problem however - whenever that may be. Currently I can only book until the beginning of August 2021 - essentially 12 months in advance.

If I were to book a flight out of Sydney say June 15th and return July 15th 2021, and then we get to May 2021 and we're informed there's still no overseas travel, would I be able to simply change the dates on the Flex tickets and put them forward to 2022?

I'm just concerned about buying the tickets and then in 12 months time they end up expiring and i'm not entitled to a refund or credit from Qantas as i've booked the tickets after Covid has hit.

Sorry all for the long read, I did attempt to have a google but couldn't really find anything.
Old Aug 6, 2020, 7:28 am

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Given the eye watering price of a flex ticket overseas in even more normal times, I would not buy a flex ticket for some extra points - I think that is what you are asking, as you have a new credit card that gives some bonus in the first months. As I pointed out in another thread if you want bonus points, buy some wine.

Given everything that is going on, I would suggest that you sit tight and wait. I am sure when (if!) international travel opens up again there will be a confusing mixture of high prices and soon after/before very low prices with lots of points based incentives. As the airlines will have no real way of estimating supply and demand.

You also run the risk, that if the flight operates in July, but you are not allowed to fly due to state or international border restrictions, then the flight is not cancelled and you are at the whim of the QF booking conditions with regards to refunds.

KF
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2020, 3:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Notmally, unused tickets are valid for 1 year - so if you cannot travel for 1 year , you are out of luck.
If the booked flight is cancelled, then you are entitled to a 100% refund - if not, then down to penalty that the fare applies
If there are still issues around SARS-CoV-2, then the airline may have more flexibility

I would consider though your basis. You refer to not buying something on stupid things - would not just spending a lot more money for the ticket than you have to, be stupid? The difference between what you would otherwise pay and the more expensive fare is just lost money - would it not be more worthwhile to spend that difference on something else ?
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2020, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
....I would consider though your basis. You refer to not buying something on stupid things - would not just spending a lot more money for the ticket than you have to, be stupid? The difference between what you would otherwise pay and the more expensive fare is just lost money - would it not be more worthwhile to spend that difference on something else ?
And their are better frequent flyer programs associated with other credit cards. {Better earn to burn - no/less award cash surcharges)
Spending (excessive) money a year ahead of when a flight is needed does seem strange (even with bank deposits are ~1% interest). But people get sucked in my marketing every day

You can buy Qantas gift vouchers but unsure if that would get QF ff points.
https://www.qantas.com/au/en/book-a-...-vouchers.html
Old Aug 10, 2020, 3:56 am
Hvr

Programs: QF LTG:
Another thing to be aware of is that if (when) Qantas cancels the tickets they will take back any points they provided due to the credit card sale.

The credit card company is just as likely to claw back the bonus points.

So, if spending just to get bonus points be very careful. It could all go spectacularly wrong.
Old Aug 11, 2020, 12:45 am

Programs: AY Platinum, UA Premier Platinum, OneWorld Emerald, VA Platinum
Do AA miles qualify for your minimum spend ? There's a bonus sale on.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.