AA baggage allowance on QF award tkt

Old Jul 11, 2020, 6:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

AA's baggage allowance applies - that is clear and straightforward
It also stated that the allowance was ZERO bags
That is correct for AA - it does not include baggage on its economy fares
On most OW marketed and Operated flights, then there is additional allowance given for those holding status
Therefore
since AA is a OW airline , on the AA flights, there would be allowance given for bags when holding OW Emerald status - as such you would have been entitled to free bags up to 23 Kg per bag
since WS is NOT a OW airline, then on the Westjet flights, there would be no free allowance and all bags would need to be paid for

That someone at Qantas failed to comprehend that WestJet is not a OW airline is a different matter - the agent was incorrect, the computer was correct

Once you booked a business class ticket, then the business class policies apply
On AA, the allowance is 2x32Kg and this would apply also to the WestJet flights
Since you hold OW Emerald status, you would have also received additional allowance on top of the 2x32Kg for the AA flights

AA will not check your bags through to QR - you will need to collect the bags in New York and take them across to QR for check in
seawolf likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2020, 7:39 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
AA bag check policy involving other airlines
https://saleslink.aa.com/en-US/docum...te_Tickets.pdf
Cedar Jet likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2020, 3:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF Platinum (LTG), OW Emerald, Accor Platinum; Hyatt Explorist.
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
AA's baggage allowance applies - that is clear and straightforward
It also stated that the allowance was ZERO bags
That is correct for AA - it does not include baggage on its economy fares
On most OW marketed and Operated flights, then there is additional allowance given for those holding status
Therefore
since AA is a OW airline , on the AA flights, there would be allowance given for bags when holding OW Emerald status - as such you would have been entitled to free bags up to 23 Kg per bag
since WS is NOT a OW airline, then on the Westjet flights, there would be no free allowance and all bags would need to be paid for

That someone at Qantas failed to comprehend that WestJet is not a OW airline is a different matter - the agent was incorrect, the computer was correct

Once you booked a business class ticket, then the business class policies apply
On AA, the allowance is 2x32Kg and this would apply also to the WestJet flights
Since you hold OW Emerald status, you would have also received additional allowance on top of the 2x32Kg for the AA flights

AA will not check your bags through to QR - you will need to collect the bags in New York and take them across to QR for check in
Perhaps but the spiel is legal and mentioned separately for both WS sectors, regardless of it being potentially incorrect, and I could have used it to request a refund from customer care-straight from senior premium QF call centre staff after being placed on hold. Thus if AA luggage policy applied for my WS sectors, as stated by Qantas in the booking process, thats what I relied upon in making my booking and should get in Y or J. A ticket is a legal document/contract. My interpretation of the spiel that whatever I get on AA I should get on WS is not unreasonable.

There is nothing stopping any carrier interlining. I appreciate there are rules as well as customs bag/recollection policies in USA etc, but of course from the 'rule' aspect they are 'meant to be broken' right? ...and have been. The last time for me was as recent as late 2019; Qantas to Delta on two separate PNRs and tickets. QF First Class check-in in SYD didn't even bat an eyelid when I asked despite not holding my breath, but bags went through without a hitch. Same on rtn DL had no probs at all. I have always asked and always will regardless...they can only say no. Perhaps status and class of travel helped here?

In the end I've achieved what I wanted. It's been a little confusing to say the least. Yes there are rules, yes they aren't always followed and yes Qantas info may be incorrect, open to not unreasonable interpretation as well as even being on record seeking clarification from QF - but if they say it that's then their responsibility in which case I'd have recourse.
CJ

Last edited by Cedar Jet; Jul 12, 2020 at 3:52 am
Old Jul 12, 2020, 4:01 am

There was nothing incorrect in the allowances as listed in trhe options for JFK-YHZ 0- with each direction the higher allowance applies each way

JFK-YUL AA Y 0 pieces
YUL-YHZ WS Y 0 pieces
YHZ-YYZ WS Y 0 pieces
YYZ-JFK AA Y 0 pieces

Booked in economy -> zero allowance

JFK- YUL AA J 2 pieces
YUL-YHZ WS Y 2 pieces
YHZ-YYZ WS Y 0 pieces
YYZ-JFK AA Y 0 pieces

Outbound business , inbound economy

Business class allowance outbound -> 2 pieces
Economy class allowance inbound -> 0 pieces

Option 3
JFK-YUL AA Y 0 pieces
YUL-YHZ WS Y 0 pieces
YHZ-YYZ WS Y 2 pieces
YYZ -JFK AA J 2 pieces

Economy class allowance outbound -> 2 pieces
Business class allowance inbound -> 0 pieces

Option 4
JFK-YUL AA J 2 pieces
YUL-YHZ WS Y 2 pieces
YHZ-YYZ WS Y 2 pieces
YYZ-JFK AA J 2 pieces

business class allowance both directions

All of these match AA's allowances

As far as checking from AA to QR, AA has a pretty well enforced policy of not providing online or interline baggage transfer when on separate bookings - that it could conceivably be performed, it would be against policy for the check through

and no - rules are not meant to be broken - would anyone be happy if airlnes broke rules to the passengers' detriment?
Old Jul 12, 2020, 8:26 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
I admit I'm confused with the latest responses and struggle to understand what the disconnect is. The following Options appear correct in that WS allowance as it is based on AA allowance. If OP decided to ticket in Y and check bags, AA will waive fee on AA segments due to OWS/OWE status but that waiver does not extend to WS segment. WS is free to charge/not charge baggage fee if AA segment is ticketed in Y.

Originally Posted by Cedar Jet
Hi I hear you but unfortunately on the ticket if I don't book both AA sectors in J I get "0 pieces" for entire itinerary, thus on the Qantas award booking site this is what it reads:
Option 1.
JFK-YUL AA Y 0 pieces
YUL-YHZ WS Y 0 pieces
YHZ-YYZ WS Y 0 pieces
YYZ-JFK AA Y 0 pieces

Option 2
JFK- YUL AA J 2 pieces
YUL-YHZ WS Y 2 pieces
YHZ-YYZ WS Y 0 pieces
YYZ-JFK AA Y 0 pieces

Option 3
JFK-YUL AA Y 0 pieces
YUL-YHZ WS Y 0 pieces
YHZ-YYZ WS Y 2 pieces
YYZ -JFK AA J 2 pieces

Option 4
JFK-YUL AA J 2 pieces
YUL-YHZ WS Y 2 pieces
YHZ-YYZ WS Y 2 pieces
YYZ-JFK AA J 2 pieces

So my questions are coupled with the Qantas disclaimer for each sector that AA rules apply for entire itinerary:
1. Even with option 1 all in Y will I still get my Emerald allowance of 1x 32kgs if AA first carrier rules apply as stated?
2. If I chose option 2 and with what I'm reading that first sector carrier rules apply, will I still get 2 x 32kgs pieces where it says 0 pieces?

Apologies for harping on but I'm still none the wiser.

Thanks!
Old Jul 12, 2020, 5:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF Platinum (LTG), OW Emerald, Accor Platinum; Hyatt Explorist.
There was nothing incorrect in the allowances as listed in trhe options for JFK-YHZ 0- with each direction the higher allowance applies each way

JFK-YUL AA Y 0 pieces
YUL-YHZ WS Y 0 pieces
YHZ-YYZ WS Y 0 pieces
YYZ-JFK AA Y 0 pieces

Booked in economy -> zero allowance

JFK- YUL AA J 2 pieces
YUL-YHZ WS Y 2 pieces
YHZ-YYZ WS Y 0 pieces
YYZ-JFK AA Y 0 pieces

Outbound business , inbound economy

Business class allowance outbound -> 2 pieces
Economy class allowance inbound -> 0 pieces

Option 3
JFK-YUL AA Y 0 pieces
YUL-YHZ WS Y 0 pieces
YHZ-YYZ WS Y 2 pieces
YYZ -JFK AA J 2 pieces

Economy class allowance outbound -> 2 pieces
Business class allowance inbound -> 0 pieces

Option 4
JFK-YUL AA J 2 pieces
YUL-YHZ WS Y 2 pieces
YHZ-YYZ WS Y 2 pieces
YYZ-JFK AA J 2 pieces

business class allowance both directions

All of these match AA's allowances

As far as checking from AA to QR, AA has a pretty well enforced policy of not providing online or interline baggage transfer when on separate bookings - that it could conceivably be performed, it would be against policy for the check through

and no - rules are not meant to be broken - would anyone be happy if airlnes broke rules to the passengers' detriment?
Reality dictates that rules will always be broken as much as we may want them not to be(or be in the case of interlining on seperate PNR's )
Old Jul 12, 2020, 6:06 pm
Suspended

There is no ticketed baggage allowance for an economy booking
The QF status bonus is applicable only on OW airlines - WS is not one where the additional allowance applies, so you should be charged for checked baggage on any check in where there is a sector on WS
there is a 23kg(50lb) baggage allowance on U.S. domestic flights & USA/Canada flights on AA using QF points.
That said, even though we turn up at check in, with QF paperwork that very clearly states 23kgs included, find it very difficult to convince even supervisors, so at major airports, we simply pay for the 23kgs, then thru AA website, send copies of receipts for payment & they usually refund very quickly. At smaller airports, the AA supervisor takes a photocopy of our QF ff tickets showing 23kgs baggage included & don't charge us.
We have no status on QF, as all points earned are from credit cards, not flying.
Old Jul 12, 2020, 11:38 pm

Originally Posted by OZFLYER86
there is a 23kg(50lb) baggage allowance on U.S. domestic flights & USA/Canada flights on AA using QF points.
That said, even though we turn up at check in, with QF paperwork that very clearly states 23kgs included, find it very difficult to convince even supervisors, so at major airports, we simply pay for the 23kgs, then thru AA website, send copies of receipts for payment & they usually refund very quickly. At smaller airports, the AA supervisor takes a photocopy of our QF ff tickets showing 23kgs baggage included & don't charge us.
We have no status on QF, as all points earned are from credit cards, not flying.
The confirmation information being provided was quite correctly stating no allowance - in that instance, getting a refund unlikely. If domestic flights are part of an international itinerary, the agents should indeed be giving the allowance based on the international journey
Old Jul 13, 2020, 12:44 am
Suspended

The confirmation information being provided was quite correctly stating no allowance - in that instance, getting a refund unlikely. If domestic flights are part of an international itinerary, the agents should indeed be giving the allowance based on the international journey
no no. A Qantas ff ticket on AA in USA domestically comes with 23kgs(1 bag) no charge. Nothing to do with any international ticket.
Old Feb 22, 2024, 5:35 am

Programs: QF WP; VA Gold
So I have had a read of all this. I currently "Ticket 1" - a U class ticket SYD-LAX-LAS in whatever redemption class in First on AA. I then have a separate "Ticket 2" in U JFK-AKL-SYD-BNE.

I am now looking at domestic AA flights, unfortunately in Economy.

Is the lesson from part of the above to get an included baggage allowance on the domestic AA flights I should get Qantas to change my Ticket 1 and add additional sectors on it after LAS and the Business Class baggage allowance, plus my OWE additional allowance will flow through onto the domestic flights? Is that the correct understanding and action??
Old Feb 22, 2024, 1:41 pm

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by mikalee
I am now looking at domestic AA flights, unfortunately in Economy.

Is the lesson from part of the above to get an included baggage allowance on the domestic AA flights I should get Qantas to change my Ticket 1 and add additional sectors on it after LAS and the Business Class baggage allowance, plus my OWE additional allowance will flow through onto the domestic flights? Is that the correct understanding and action??
As you are OWE you get three (3) free bags in economy - https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...age-policy.jsp

So from a bag perspective you gain nothing from all the muddle of asking QF to change a ticket - even they even can? As you cannot link paid with redemption etc etc
Old Feb 22, 2024, 2:34 pm

Programs: QF WP; VA Gold
Thank you Koru Flyer that has cleared it up for me. I see as OWE I can take 3 x 23kg bags as I am in economy on AA. That will be ample.

Interestingly I read that AA will give you the greater entitlement based on status at the time of ticketing or the time of travel, whichever is most beneficial to the passenger.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.