Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Qantas will suspend overseas travel until [December] 2021

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Qantas will suspend overseas travel until [December] 2021

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2020, 9:15 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mangoMan
I booked AKL-SYD-SFO a few weeks ago on QF using AA miles for travel in mid March 2021. I logged onto AA.com today and the reservation still looked OK, but I'm guessing it's probably just a matter of time until it goes poof.
Air NZ seem to still have flights AKL/LAX from Sept available to be booked, so why not Qantas ?
Freespirit1 likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2020, 9:19 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
On return to Australa ( as referenced ) there is a mandatory quarantine which is now ( quite rightly ) now being charged to the passenger
I doubt very much that quarantine will cease before christmastime and would be stunned if it was removed in 6 weeks
Why would their be any quarantine if you can fly to NZ unrestricted ?

Seems strange that Air NZ are selling seats via AKL but not Qantas nonstop ?

Lots of agendas going on & feel some of Qantas's are to do with staff & unions.
Freespirit1 likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2020, 9:19 pm
DC9

Programs: QF Platinum, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by OZFLYER86
Air NZ seem to still have flights AKL/LAX from Sept available to be booked, so why not Qantas ?
= not yet cancelled. Who knows when? Certainly none of us know.
Old Jul 18, 2020, 9:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Qantas is not the entity that is in place to decide when quarantine and travel restrictions are eased - I doubt very much that Qantas will be able to take people for non essential travel to NZ in a controlled environment without there being controls in place where the people will not be able to breach travel restrictions once they get to NZ
DC9 and Freespirit1 like this.
Old Jul 18, 2020, 9:35 pm

Why would their be any quarantine if you can fly to NZ unrestricted ?

Seems strange that Air NZ are selling seats via AKL but not Qantas nonstop ?

Lots of agendas going on & feel some of Qantas's are to do with staff & unions.
However you may be able to book, which I have done but you need more than a ticket to leave. I did notice that the bookings Air NZ departing Auckland are via Sydney to LAX
Old Jul 18, 2020, 9:42 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Freespirit1
However you may be able to book, which I have done but you need more than a ticket to leave. I did notice that the bookings Air NZ departing Auckland are via Sydney to LAX
just looked at air NZ website

AKL/LAX SEPT 28 nonstop, back 2 weeks later nonstop. Expensive in economy - cheapest at NZD$2774. Maybe expensive because very few other options, ie. no Qantas, Virgin etc. nonstops from OZ to USA.

However, just found that you can fly some Qantas codeshare flights direct SYD/LAX (but via Fiji) same dates for only AUD$1185 on skyscanner & think you can bid to upgrade on any of 4 sectors to business class & think those flights are on new A350s, but obviously airline (air pacific) could switch to smaller A330s on any sectors.

Last edited by OZFLYER86; Jul 18, 2020 at 9:49 pm
Old Jul 19, 2020, 1:36 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
[mod hat] I have just deleted lots of posts which were off topic and / or which quoted off topic posts. Please stay on topic, general border closure discussion, UK quarantine, NZ elections etc. don't belong here. [/mod hat]
Old Jul 19, 2020, 1:41 am

just looked at air NZ website

AKL/LAX SEPT 28 nonstop, back 2 weeks later nonstop. Expensive in economy - cheapest at NZD$2774. Maybe expensive because very few other options, ie. no Qantas, Virgin etc. nonstops from OZ to USA.

However, just found that you can fly some Qantas codeshare flights direct SYD/LAX (but via Fiji) same dates for only AUD$1185 on skyscanner & think you can bid to upgrade on any of 4 sectors to business class & think those flights are on new A350s, but obviously airline (air pacific) could switch to smaller A330s on any sectors.
It must be a nightmare for the people employed to amend and adjust all these flights without knowledge of the date International travel will resume
Old Jul 20, 2020, 10:38 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by DC9
= not yet cancelled. Who knows when? Certainly none of us know.
AKL-LAX is currently 5x weekly on NZ for passengers. They are still flying LAX 14x weekly, with most being freight only.

NZ hasn’t stopped passengers flights on since March, but at reduced frequently.
AKL-BNE
AKL-SYD
AKL-MEL
AKL-LAX
AKL-HKG
AKL-NRT

AKL-MEL has only just stopped taking passengers at VIC’s requests, but are still flying passengers MEL-AKL.

They also just re-added an weekly AKL-PVG passenger service.
Freespirit1 likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2020, 11:17 pm
DC9

Programs: QF Platinum, HH Diamond
In any case, Australian citizens/permanent residents are currently not permitted to depart from Australia, unless exempted. This is a Government restriction and is out of the hands of any airline.
Freespirit1 likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2020, 11:21 pm

Originally Posted by DC9
In any case, Australian citizens/permanent residents are currently not permitted to depart from Australia, unless exempted. This is a Government restriction and is out of the hands of any airline.
Very true.
it is getting more difficult to get an exemption too.
We truly are living up to the name, Convict Country.
davistev and DC9 like this.
Old Jul 21, 2020, 10:19 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Back to the topic at hand I see QF & JQ trans-Tasman flights have been pushed back from 01SEP20 resumption to 25OCT20 resumption.
Old Jul 21, 2020, 3:07 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Back to the topic at hand I see QF & JQ trans-Tasman flights have been pushed back from 01SEP20 resumption to 25OCT20 resumption.
Yes indeed. QF just notified me that my October TT flights had become credit vouchers. Now to get the credit vouchers turned into a refund.
Old Jul 21, 2020, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
And QF with Air NZ will have contacts with the Governments as to when the TT bubble may start.
For a while, until the (self inflicted) NZ issues with quarantine/isolation and now increasing cases in Victoria (probably self inflicted), was 75% certain the TT bubble would start 20 July.
QF have been pushing back start of TT flights every few weeks.

Edit
Thread for TT bubble ---> https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ocea...islands-3.html

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Jul 22, 2020 at 1:38 am
Old Jul 21, 2020, 4:36 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
And QF with Air NZ will have contacts with the Governments as to when the TT bubble may start.
For a while, until the (self inflicted) NZ issues with quarantine/isolation and now increasing cases in Victoria (probably self inflicted), was 75% certain the TT bubble would start 20 July. QF have been pushing back start of flights every few weeks.
The only way I see New Zealand opening an bubble with Australia this year now. Would be if it was with selected states that have closed its boarders to VIC and NSW. With NSW community transmission currently growing, I can see New Zealand not being keen.

You would think JQ/QF would just cancel Tasman flights, until the bubble is announced? Then it would probably purely be for routes like OOL/BNE.
Freespirit1 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.