Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Qantas will suspend overseas travel until [December] 2021

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Qantas will suspend overseas travel until [December] 2021

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2021, 1:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by HB7
It will take a lot of time for pax to get money back however, and QF may entice passengers with credit/vouchers and thus buy themselves some more time while travel slowly (very slowly) comes back - if that happens.
It takes about 30 days by disputing the charge with the card company if there is delay - that people may choose to take vouchers does not take away from fact that they could have a refund if they desired to do so; some airlines have been offering a higher value credit than cash refund to entice people to take a voucher - in the end it is the consumer's choice

The statement in the 1st post is entirely wrong
Old Jan 4, 2021, 3:02 pm
HB7

Programs: BA Exec Club, SIA KrisFlyer, Qantas FF, Emirates Skywards
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
It takes about 30 days by disputing the charge with the card company if there is delay - that people may choose to take vouchers does not take away from fact that they could have a refund if they desired to do so; some airlines have been offering a higher value credit than cash refund to entice people to take a voucher - in the end it is the consumer's choice

The statement in the 1st post is entirely wrong
Fair enough. I think however the OP was trying to highlight the fact that the chance of QF operating those flight is near on impossible.

In your opinion, what are the chances QF operates these flights - particularly to the UK/US?
Old Jan 4, 2021, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
I was able to get full $$$ refunds over several Qantas flights/bookings in 2020.

However, in my experience, the average time for a $$$ refund of revenue bookings from the time of cancellation was of over 10 weeks.

All my bookings were made using an American Express Charge Card and the two times I endeavoured to dispute the Qantas charges resulted in an immediate credit of the charges to the account. Both times this was shortly followed by a reversal of each credit a few weeks later as "Qantas would be refunding".

So, given my experiences last year, my consideration of the relative unlikelihood of any scheduled regular long haul Qantas international flights operating this year and the many anecdotes I have come across in respect to Qantas procrastinating, delaying and deferring refunds as much as possible, I perceive that anyone making a a long haul Qantas booking for travel this year is almost certainly simply providing a short term loan of nine months or more to Qantas.
ANstar and deeruck like this.

Last edited by serfty; Jan 5, 2021 at 7:14 pm
Old Jan 4, 2021, 5:17 pm

Programs: QF Plat+ LTG/ OW Emerald, VA Plat, NZ Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Whatsit. Taxation is theft.
Originally Posted by serfty
So, given my experiences last year, my consideration of the relative unlikelihood of any scheduled regular long haul Qantas international flights operating this year and the many anecdotes I have come across in respect to Qantas procrastinating, delaying and deferring refunds as much as possible, I perceive that anyone making a a long haul Qantas booking for travel this year is almost certainly simply providing a short term loan of nine months or more to Qantas.
Well, interest rates are pretty much zero so I suppose your analogy here is spot-on.
serfty likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2021, 5:23 pm

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by TuxTom
Looks like Qantas has started selling international flights for July. A few blogs as well as the Daily Mail have picked up on it. Here's one from One Mile At A Time:
Qantas To Resume International Flights In July 2021 | One Mile at a Time

From the blog post:
"Qantas selling international flights as of July 2021
Australia has been among the strictest countries when it comes to closing its borders due to coronavirus, and as a result, Qantas’ international fleet has more or less been grounded since early 2020. Up until recently the airline had canceled most international flights through at least October 2021, but that timeline has now been moved forward significantly.

Qantas has now put a vast majority of its international long haul network on sale for flights as of July 1, 2021. This includes the following routes:
  • Brisbane to Los Angeles
  • Brisbane to Singapore
  • Melbourne to Hong Kong
  • Melbourne to Los Angeles
  • Melbourne to San Francisco
  • Melbourne to Tokyo
  • Perth to London
  • Sydney to Dallas
  • Sydney to Hong Kong
  • Sydney to Johannesburg
  • Sydney to Los Angeles
  • Sydney to San Francisco
  • Sydney to Singapore to London
  • Sydney to Tokyo
It seems that this isn’t just a case of the airline arbitrarily adjusting its schedule, but I’ve also been hearing that the airline has contacted long haul cabin crew to inform them that they’ll be restarting training soon."

Of course QF is itching to get things going again, but I just don't see how this could possibly work out. I would imagine that QF is in constant contact with the state and federal governments, and it sure seems the hotel quarantine program isn't going anywhere anytime soon, so how can they operate flights in any meaningful way? Unless the number of quarantine rooms greatly expands and the cost decreases, they will need the governments to change course entirely to allow travel to happen. Perhaps vaccine requirements and testing with self-isolation upon arrival in Australia will allow them to go ahead.

Edit to add: I see know this is being discussed in the QF forum as well. Not sure why I didn't think to look there first. Mods can remove this if they'd like.
quoted across from different thread
Any word on aircraft types here? SYD-JNB? Wasn’t that planned for a380 (stored)- can’t be a twin? More northerly routing? Or just an indication that it’s not happening?
HNL1K likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2021, 6:17 pm

Programs: Delta DM for now
Originally Posted by nancypants
Any word on aircraft types here? SYD-JNB? Wasn’t that planned for a380 (stored)- can’t be a twin? More northerly routing? Or just an indication that it’s not happening?
Currently shows as being operated by a 787. I can't imagine QF wanting anything to do with the fuel guzzling A380s for quite some time. 787s can absolutely operate SYD-JNB under ETOPS 330, but prior to the COVID groundings, CASA hadn't approved ETOPS flights beyond 180m for Australian airlines.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2021, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nancypants
Or a splash & dash at Perth?
A map from Great Circle Mapper - Great Circle Mapper

The schedules are just something some-one in QF HO hope will/may/could happen. I would not be taking bets
nancypants likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2021, 9:42 pm

Programs: Miles & More / Virgin Velocity-Gold
Originally Posted by robertr
I am booked on QF11 1July 2021 Syd - Lax part of a Lufthansa Mini Round The World business.

What are the odds of this flight resuming?

I have confirmation plus seat allocations (Business) for all sectors SYD-LAX-FRA-BUD-FRA-SIN-SYD for July 2021.

Lufthansa & Singapore Airlines are the other carriers.

It is noted that very few seats have been allocated on all sectors.
Hi All,
I thought that I might resurrect this post, note that the first flight is July 1 QF11 SYD-LAX
Any chance that this flight will take place or should I look at ditching Qantas and replacing it with United
* this is a booking from August 2020 as the original itinerary was July 2020 then Sept 2020 (both did not eventuate)

Last edited by robertr; Jan 4, 2021 at 9:53 pm
Old Jan 4, 2021, 9:51 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by robertr
Hi All,
I thought that I might resurrect this post, note that the first flight is July 1 QF11 SYD-LAX
Any chance that this flight will take place or should I look at ditching Qantas and replacing it with United
100% it will operate. That's nearly 6 months away.

Think Qantas will be flying to USA well before 1 July 2021, especially if other carriers start flying SYD/LAX in April.

If Qantas doesn't fly it, you can always fly SYD/NAN/LAX on Qantas codeshare on newer & better aircraft (A350)
Old Jan 4, 2021, 9:51 pm

Programs: QF WP LTG, HHonors Diamond, NZ Gold
Hi RobertR,

Perhaps just as pertinent: what is your nationality, is this the first leg of the LH RTW and - if so - how long do you intend to be out of the country?

Regards,

BD
Old Jan 4, 2021, 9:56 pm

Programs: QF WP LTG, HHonors Diamond, NZ Gold
Originally Posted by OZFLYER86

Think Qantas will be flying to USA well before 1 July 2021, especially if other carriers start flying SYD/LAX in April.
Other carriers have been flying SYD/LAX for a while - it hasn't encouraged QF to start to this point.

Regards,

BD
Mwenenzi and shillard like this.
Old Jan 4, 2021, 9:59 pm

Hi BD1959 - I am Australian Syd - Lax first leg 12 days in Lax - 18 days in Budapest Depart 01/07 return 02/08
Old Jan 4, 2021, 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by OZFLYER86

If Qantas doesn't fly it, you can always fly SYD/NAN/LAX on Qantas codeshare on newer & better aircraft (A350)
Thanks OZ Flyer - FIJI Airways was not listed as a airline for this fare, United was.
Old Jan 4, 2021, 10:24 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
VA operated their 77W to JNB although it did follow a somewhat extended northerly route no doubt due to ETOPS. I suspect the real issue for QF is whether they can do non stop 787 JNB-SYD with a meaningful load due to the temperature and altitude of JNB.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2021, 10:40 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Well that escalated quickly...
deeruck and nancypants like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.