Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Qantas will suspend overseas travel until [December] 2021

Qantas will suspend overseas travel until [December] 2021

Old Dec 28, 21, 2:37 pm
Formerly known as aep

Programs: Nothing special in many programs
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi View Post
Incorrect link there
Old Jan 21, 22, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

QF unhappy on WA keeping the border closed. PER-LHR & PER Rome must be in doubt
QF newsroom 21 Jan 2022---> QANTAS GROUP CAPACITY UPDATE ON WESTERN AUSTRALIAN BORDER DELAY
The Qantas Group has reviewed its domestic capacity settings given the decision by the Western Australian Government to indefinitely delay reopening its borders.

As a result, the Group will reduce its planned domestic capacity by approximately 10 per cent from 5 February through to 31 March 2022 as a placeholder. This is calculated on an available seat kilometre basis and reflects the long sector lengths of trans-continental flights. Though at a fraction of its pre-COVID levels, Qantas will maintain core connections between Perth and the rest of Australia, with up to 15 flights per week from Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide, Brisbane and Darwin, supporting essential personnel and freight.
<snip>
Timing to reinstate Qantas’ Perth-London route, which is currently operating via Darwin and was due to return to Western Australia in late March 2022, is under review.
Old Jan 21, 22, 3:10 pm

The rest of Australia should completely cut off WA. No flights no freight nothing. See how Mark likes that.
Old Jan 21, 22, 4:21 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi View Post
QF unhappy on WA keeping the border closed. PER-LHR & PER Rome must be in doubt
QF newsroom 21 Jan 2022---> QANTAS GROUP CAPACITY UPDATE ON WESTERN AUSTRALIAN BORDER DELAY
Consistent with 2 months of new COVID related flight cancellations, I dont think QF delaying PER - Europe flights will be any cause for concern - just now anyway.
Old Jan 22, 22, 1:52 am

Programs: BA Gold, Priority Club Gold, Accor Silver, Virgin Australia Gold
Originally Posted by Croupier View Post
The rest of Australia should completely cut off WA. No flights no freight nothing. See how Mark likes that.
Ummm....why do we all have to.suffer due to Mark? Thanks...!😒...
Old Jan 22, 22, 5:31 am

Programs: QF, LM
TLDR: I think that the WA position sucks, big time, for many reasons.
Hi all, have been reading and comprehending some of the fallout from Mark's decision to indefinitely postpone rejoining the global community. That is a huge decision. It would not have been so bad if he was uncertain leading up to this, but as I, as most, understood, the border opening was a real thing. In an instance he has removed any security or confidence for anyone, and just in the realm of flyers and airlines, this is catastrophic. Absolutely noone has any security or even inkling of what now lies ahead.
In my understanding WA has economically, as a whole, ridden out the Covid thing due to supreme prices on some natural resources that have gloriously risen in price. Hence their bottom line has not been devastated. But not all WA citizens are living off that natural resource boom. If you run a restaurant or a BNB, or simply just want to visit family in another state, you have been absolutely shafted.
I always acknowledge that Qantas is a commercial beast with interest above all to share-holders. But i do in this moment accept the protestations of Alan Joyce. As an airline (that is stuffed as all are in these times) they took the reopening date and thus manoeuvred their behemoth to fit with the alleged opening date. Booking crew, re-hiring staff, assigning aircraft, etc. And now that has been destroyed by yet another press-briefing.
And for what? When will WA rejoin society? Do they actually think they can keep Covid (Omicron) out?
As AJ has said, this decision has forced the cancellation of flights for 20,000 people in the first week. I would accept that if it was for a real purpose, despite the hardship. But it is, admittedly in my view, nonsensical.
SW7London and nancypants like this.
Old Jan 22, 22, 1:34 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by juddles View Post
Do they actually think they can keep Covid (Omicron) out?..
Hardship indeed, but isnt the WA Government simply doing what they were elected to do in the recent past? As an outsider ISTR the current Government went to the people at the State election with a protect from COVID platform, the people said go for it in a landslide vote, and the Government is now delivering.
LukeO9 and nancypants like this.
Old Jan 23, 22, 4:10 am

Originally Posted by og View Post
Hardship indeed, but isnt the WA Government simply doing what they were elected to do in the recent past? As an outsider ISTR the current Government went to the people at the State election with a protect from COVID platform, the people said go for it in a landslide vote, and the Government is now delivering.
Hi there og,
I get what you are saying. The WA populace truly agreed with the initial hard borders, etc, even as I did in pondering their situation. Then. But Omicron has changed things. It is the virulent thing that is not easily kept out by a border "closure".

I think what the public signed up to was a situation of a hard border, NOT eternal internal lockdowns. Separation from other states is far less harsh on a daily basis than an internal lockdown which crushes personal freedoms. Now that omicron is weaving its way in, the only way for the WA government to successfully continue in the coming weeks with their effective zero-Covid policy is to plunge the entire state into lockdowns that would make the Victorian experience seem free and happy. Omicron is in there, and the cases will just rise and rise. I do not think any country/region has successfully beaten omicron yet? I think the WA government officially admitted today that zero-Covid is now not an option, so are moving to the "suppression" thing. Which will of course involve long-term harsh lockdowns.

I wonder how that last election mandate will hold up when, in just weeks, they will be locking up cafes and gyms yet the eastern folk will be returning to Bali?
SW7London and DiamondMile like this.
Old Jan 23, 22, 5:30 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF SG, LH SEN, OZ D+, HH D, SPG P
[mod hat] Please stay on topic. This thread is about international travel using Qantas. It is not about the politics of Covid, the premier of WA or other topics, [/mod hat]
Mwenenzi and Freespirit1 like this.
Old Jan 23, 22, 6:54 am

Respecting DownUnderFlyer mod hat, and the need to constrain this to airlines, etc....

Qantas is now in a hell of a quandary. WA has effectively (no, brazenly) said f... you to everyone. Dates not just changed but actually disappeared. No promises nor even inkling of when they may reopen. How can a government do that? Do they expect such as Qantas to be amazingly able to constantly flip around to fit with whatever "health advice" or political whims they have? WA has gone down a channel that IMHO is ludicrous. And no doubt Qantas is feeling the same. How can Qantas deal with this? Each time the WA government makes a huge backflip in a mere three-minute press-conference, many months of planning and hiring and rescheduling and bookings suddenly get vaporized. It is not the government that feels this pain, it is twenty thousand flyers.
choosethedrew and Croupier like this.

Last edited by DownUnderFlyer; Jan 23, 22 at 11:27 am Reason: Removed quote of a deleted off-topic post.
Old Jan 24, 22, 3:21 am

Programs: BA Gold, Priority Club Gold, Accor Silver, Virgin Australia Gold
I probably have some sympathy with QF about the WA situation. I don't really believe I am.that happy about it. However I think it's a bit blah blah by QF. Let's face it they don't exactly hold a massive schedule out of Perth. Yes they fly some domestics around the country and they fly two scheduled international destinations (London and Singapore). A third is mooted (Rome), but come on... they are not exactly massive players out of WA, they have on going issues with Perth Airport (wonder if they used the quiet time to sort that out), and continue to charge a fortune for internal WA sectors. So in short, they can moan and moan but they are not a massive international player out if PER.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jan 24, 22, 6:21 am

Originally Posted by nivsy View Post
I probably have some sympathy with QF about the WA situation. I don't really believe I am.that happy about it. However I think it's a bit blah blah by QF. Let's face it they don't exactly hold a massive schedule out of Perth. Yes they fly some domestics around the country and they fly two scheduled international destinations (London and Singapore). A third is mooted (Rome), but come on... they are not exactly massive players out of WA, they have on going issues with Perth Airport (wonder if they used the quiet time to sort that out), and continue to charge a fortune for internal WA sectors. So in short, they can moan and moan but they are not a massive international player out if PER.
nivsy, I hear all of that and agree in some ways. My eyes truly water when I look at any australian domestic fare, having got used to overseas things. Air travel in australia is simply expensive.
But on the other hand I get that Qantas is challenged as the current aircraft cannot profitably do the ultra-long sectors such as SYD-LHR which would be perfect for an Australian-based carrier. The only reason, IMHO, that QF ever considered doing PER-LHR was because planes could not yet do SYD-LHR. Not because of any sensible market between Perth and London. We are just so very isolated, geographically.
As for internal fares, they charge what the market will pay, and the unfortunate aspect of that is that "normal" people are in competition with lucrative mines, etc with not just deep pockets but other agenda such as cutting costs by flying in staff on FIFO rather than making huge cities for staff in remote bush. We can hate that bit but it is reality. Especially in WA, where mining reigns supreme.
But back to standard cross-australia travel by normal people... there are so many that want to either visit WA or vice versa. Tens and tens of thousands waited then made their bookings on the promise of an opening date. Qantas embraced this and re-hired staff, etc and planned to make this happen. Then it was all simply stopped in a press conference. All those bookings, all that planning, vanquished.
nancypants likes this.
Old Feb 7, 22, 5:52 am
Suspended

Hi, as I understand it the Federal Government plans to reopen borders (except WA) for foreign tourists from February 23.
That is great news.
Allthough it's not clear if this comes with additional testing and quarantine requirements.
And the term "visa-holders" is not clear either. Does visa-holders also include ETA-eligible citizens?

That should be good news for QF and should be a booster for increasing international capacity.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-02-...ison/100810580

Last edited by arminschwarm; Feb 7, 22 at 6:04 am
Old Feb 7, 22, 11:13 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Asia Miles. Not bothering to join Marco Polo.
Originally Posted by arminschwarm View Post
Hi, as I understand it the Federal Government plans to reopen borders (except WA) for foreign tourists from February 23.
That is great news.
Allthough it's not clear if this comes with additional testing and quarantine requirements.
And the term "visa-holders" is not clear either. Does visa-holders also include ETA-eligible citizens?

That should be good news for QF and should be a booster for increasing international capacity.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-02-...ison/100810580
I haven't really looked into it, but if tourist visa holders can come in, ETAs certainly can Australias response to Covid-19 [general border control thread]
Old Feb 7, 22, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

off topic

Originally Posted by arminschwarm View Post
That is great news.
Look here AU Govt--->COVID-19 and the border
States can have additional requirements (like WA)

Search this Thread