Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Qantas will suspend overseas travel until [December] 2021

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Qantas will suspend overseas travel until [December] 2021

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2021, 5:59 pm

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by og
Clearly the * should lead you to the “fine print” in the advertisement. Not doing so carries the same scorn from literary pedants as the misuse of the apostrophe. I can only assume that the potential use of *^+# etc is a hangover from censorship where common mainstream words (such as ****, %#^* and ^%+) are considered too strong for those not living in Oz.

no more of a dig at qantas’s website and extensive t&cs on every page- I see they’ve done the sensible thing and replaced with numbers but once upon a time all of the above points would have had a symbol- *, ^, % and so on

hence I am amused by a Qantas thing having JUST a star ie only one disclaimer attached
Old Oct 26, 2021, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nancypants
....hence I am amused by a Qantas thing having JUST a star ie only one disclaimer attached
Is the *star* Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk?
Old Oct 26, 2021, 8:19 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
[QUOTE=nancypants;
hence I am amused by a Qantas thing having JUST a star ie only one disclaimer attached[/QUOTE]

And QF absolutely should still explain why the * is there - even simply as “subject to T&C on the QF website” or whatever.
Old Oct 26, 2021, 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Is the *star* Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk?
maybe if there was a very white smile behind it
Old Oct 30, 2021, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

29 Oct (ExecTrav)-->Qantas pushes back Melbourne-London, Brisbane-USA flights
Soft demand and ongoing border closures puts a spoke in the wheel of Qantas' international reboot.
  • Melbourne-London flights delayed to November 27
  • Brisbane flights to LA and Singapore pushed back to February 2022
  • Australia-New Zealand to remain closed until January 2022
Proving that the runway to post-pandemic skies is anything but smooth, Qantas has been forced to delay flights from Melbourne and Brisbane, as well as to New Zealand and New Caledonia.
<snip>
Melbourne-London
While Qantas was quick to bring forward its Melbourne-London flights to November 6, following Victoria's move to abandon hotel and home quarantine for fully-vaccinated travellers, the airline says "demand for these earlier flights has been subdued."

"This situation is short-lived, as demand on this route from late November onwards is much stronger," Qantas claims, "leading to the decision for the restart date to be delayed from 6 November to 27 November 2021."
<snip>
Brisbane restart bumped to 2022
As previously reported, Queensland won't allow quarantine-free international travel until early 2022, when it reaches a statewide 90% vaccination rate – as opposed to the original 80% benchmark, which New South Wales and Victoria held to. This has left Qantas with no choice but to hit the pause button on overseas flights from Brisbane.Flights to other international destinations from Queensland will resume progressively in the months following, the airline says.

New Zealand closed until at least January 2022
Hopes of trans-Tasman travel returning in December were also dashed earlier today when NZ Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern said that hotel quarantine and limits on the number of arrivals will continue for people travelling from Australia. This will see Qantas and Jetstar push back flights from Sydney and Melbourne to at least January 3, 2022. "These dates could be pushed later should these restrictions remain," the airline adds. "Qantas and Jetstar are ready to ramp up flights when people can travel freely between Australia and New Zealand again."
<snip>
Western Australia not mentioned.
The ongoing pandemaic around the world will put some people off travelling and "wait and see" for others.
Would assume most is VFR (visiting friends & relations). For Christmas-New Year (late Dec - early Jan) will be more traffic
The chances of the QLD 16+ eligible population reaching 90% vaccination is low to nil. Late Jan, when nil international and few interstate visitors, expect they will back peddle on the 90%.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Oct 30, 2021 at 2:18 pm
Old Oct 30, 2021, 2:48 pm

It’s challenging, at this stage we are still expecting to have to quarantine for 2 weeks before coming back to work (even though the chief said not- understandably the land councils may choose to take a more conservative approach for a sustained period of time). But no extra leave. And hence I can’t imagine planning for an overseas trip for at least a couple of years
Old Nov 22, 2021, 3:11 pm

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Re the Brisbane flights: QF is selling Q2/22 flights at the moment. I'm looking to come via SIN with BA connecting. While looking at what covid requirements transiting at SIN may have I saw something that said only permitted airline transfers can take place. BA/QF isn't currently one of them. Is this another case of buyer beware? Or just fingers crossed that SIN will allow the transfers and QLD will be open by then?
Old Nov 26, 2021, 1:39 am

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Originally Posted by dddc
Re the Brisbane flights: QF is selling Q2/22 flights at the moment. I'm looking to come via SIN with BA connecting. While looking at what covid requirements transiting at SIN may have I saw something that said only permitted airline transfers can take place. BA/QF isn't currently one of them. Is this another case of buyer beware? Or just fingers crossed that SIN will allow the transfers and QLD will be open by then?
Just saw this that was dated the same day I asked so perhaps a recent change:

https://www.qantas.com/au/en/coronav...e-flights.html

So the route and airlines are fine, now it's just the "other" factors to wait and see about like will Anna open the borders and will the new southern African variant close everything again.
Old Nov 28, 2021, 8:19 pm

Programs: QFF, AAdvantage, All
I'm assuming that all these flights into Australia are carrying pax that have been PCR-tested for Covid. If so, why are we seeing so many pax testing positive on arrival?
Taken together, whats the point of testing prior to travel?
Old Nov 28, 2021, 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by LukeO9
I'm assuming that all these flights into Australia are carrying pax that have been PCR-tested for Covid. If so, why are we seeing so many pax testing positive on arrival?
72 hours between test and flight = potentially 80 or more by the time of arrival test
very easy to become positive from negative in almost 4 days

as to the point, I suppose it screens out around 50% of positive cases (given the natural history of COVID replication cycles etc). I suppose what we should do is do a rapid test at the airport prior to departure (ie within 3-4 hours of boarding) but the logistics of that would be horrific
DiamondMile and Freespirit1 like this.
Old Nov 29, 2021, 3:16 pm

Programs: QF WP LTG, HHonors Diamond, NZ Gold
Originally Posted by dddc
I'm looking to come via SIN with BA connecting. While looking at what covid requirements transiting at SIN may have I saw something that said only permitted airline transfers can take place. BA/QF isn't currently one of them. Is this another case of buyer beware? Or just fingers crossed that SIN will allow the transfers and QLD will be open by then?
QF have now been added to the airlines allowed transit at SIN which includes BA (of course all this is subject to change!):

Regards,

BD
Old Nov 30, 2021, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by LukeO9
The tin hat in me whispers in my ear that such results are more than one or two standard deviations outside the normal probability.😈 (Implication being it is likely some test results are faked.)
Old Dec 1, 2021, 2:00 am

Originally Posted by serfty
The tin hat in me whispers in my ear that such results are more than one or two standard deviations outside the normal probability.😈 (Implication being it is likely some test results are faked.)
there is an issue around false positives and pre test probability but I don’t expect this would be a significant issue coming from relatively high covid places
Old Dec 27, 2021, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

27 Dec 2021 (ExecTrav AU)---->Qantas Airbus A380s return to Sydney-LAX on January 11
Qantas is bringing forward the return of the A380 to January 2022, with the first superjumbo now just weeks away from flying between Sydney and Los Angeles.Starting Tuesday January 11, the double-decker jet will feature three days a week on the flagship route, alongside one weekly Boeing 787 service – marking an overall reduction from the previously-scheduled daily timetable.

The airline says this is due to the need for its 70-odd Brisbane-based Boeing 787 pilots to undergo 14 days isolation after each international service, which means they can't be rostered onto other international flights until they leave quarantine. Crew based in most other states are not subject to these limitations.
<snip>
In addition, the airline says the A380's 14 first class suites "will be offered as complimentary upgrades to top tier Frequent Flyers who have booked business class seats" on the dropped Boeing 787 flights.

International Boeing 787 flights from Melbourne are also being reduced during January, again due to the need for Brisbane-based pilots to quarantine for two weeks. Melbourne-London is being reduced from daily Boeing 787 flights "to up to four weekly services", while Melbourne-Los Angeles drops from four Boeing 787 flights per week to three.
<snip>
Some states again continue to restrict the opening of AU

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Dec 28, 2021 at 3:33 pm Reason: fixed link. More textquoted
Old Dec 28, 2021, 1:06 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
[mod hat] I have moved some post which deal with testing before your QF flight to a dedicated thread. [/mod hat]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.