Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Qantas will suspend overseas travel until [December] 2021

Qantas will suspend overseas travel until [December] 2021

Old Oct 1, 21, 10:35 am

Programs: AA EXP
Any idea when QF will load new schedules based on this annoucement?

Also wondering if the SYD/MEL-LAX flights will be retimed back morning/midday departures instead of evenings.
Old Oct 1, 21, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by davistev View Post
Vaccinated Aussies will no longer need an exit permit starting November. yay! https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-10-...ines/100505554
The elimination of the exit permit was announced some weeks ago. Now bought forward a ~month.
But IMHO it will not be as easy to travel as some are hoping
Off the QF topic a liitle--> Mark McGowan does not support home quarantine for fully vaccinated overseas travellers
Old Oct 6, 21, 1:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Has anyone else booked a flight home on Qantas? I booked one yesterday for December 10th LAX-SYD. It was extremely expensive, US$1,800 (I'm using miles for the return). I was very surprised how full the seat map was. There were maybe 20-30 seats spare in economy class. The only conclusion I can draw is that Qantas is expecting to be able to fly as many people as they want whenever home quarantine begins.
Old Oct 7, 21, 1:23 am

Programs: Miles & More / Virgin Velocity-Gold
Originally Posted by david_oz View Post
Has anyone else booked a flight home on Qantas? I booked one yesterday for December 10th LAX-SYD. It was extremely expensive, US$1,800 (I'm using miles for the return). I was very surprised how full the seat map was. There were maybe 20-30 seats spare in economy class. The only conclusion I can draw is that Qantas is expecting to be able to fly as many people as they want whenever home quarantine begins.
Unless you have status Qantas block row after row , they are pretty much the worst offender.

My business SYD-LAX booking July 1 has the first 9 rows blocked, welcome to Qantas

Last edited by robertr; Oct 7, 21 at 1:26 am Reason: Additional comment added
Old Oct 8, 21, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

QF newsroom (08 Oct 2021)-->QANTAS TO FLY KANGAROO ROUTE TO LONDON VIA DARWIN
Qantas has confirmed it will operate its flagship direct route from Australia to London via Darwin when international flights resume next month with the reopening of Australia’s border.

The national carrier has reached an agreement with the Northern Territory Government and Darwin Airport to temporarily reroute its flights from Melbourne and Sydney through Darwin. The Darwin hub arrangement will be in place in time for borders reopening from 14 November 2021 until at least April 2022 when London flights are scheduled to operate via Perth again. While this is a temporary change to the route, Qantas will watch how it performs and is open-minded about what it could lead to down the track. The Sydney-Darwin-London route will begin on 14 November while the Melbourne-Darwin-London route is currently scheduled to begin on 18 December 2021 but could start earlier depending on discussions with the Victorian Government on shorter quarantine arrangements for returning travellers.
<snip>
The passenger transit arrangements will be split into two stages to reflect COVID-safe arrangements in the Territory itself. In stage one, transiting passengers from all Australian states, or returning from London, will be able to visit the international lounge and shops at Darwin Airport. Passengers travelling from London to Sydney and Melbourne via Darwin and wanting to travel onwards to other Australian cities may also be subject to state and territory quarantine requirements. In stage two, transiting passengers will have the option to leave the terminal and visit Darwin, providing a tangible tourism boost for the city.
<snip>
(abc.net.au)-->Qantas confirms Darwin as new transit hub for direct Australia-London flights set to resume in November
nancypants likes this.
Old Oct 10, 21, 3:22 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
I am seeing 50 unallocated seats in Y for your QF12 on 10/12/2021. That is as a QF WP. Only rows 40 and 41 looks like they are unavailable / blocked. Last 2 rows are probably blocked (for crew rest??). You'd be aware that December and January will be very very busy for QF and they'll charge accordingly.
Old Oct 10, 21, 7:18 am
Suspended

Fiji Airways (qantas owns around 45%) has fares LAX/SYD direct 30 Nov, then most dates up to 12 Dec for AUD$873.

Better airline, with much better aircraft (A350s) & can upgrade straight to best business class by bidding online.
Old Oct 13, 21, 7:19 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by OZFLYER86 View Post
Fiji Airways (qantas owns around 45%) has fares LAX/SYD direct 30 Nov, then most dates up to 12 Dec for AUD$873.

Better airline, with much better aircraft (A350s) & can upgrade straight to best business class by bidding online.
It isn't a direct flight though. There's a stop in NAN.
Old Oct 13, 21, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by deeruck View Post
Correct - but flying in coach some might appreciate a nice two hour stop to stretch their legs FJ is 17 hours compared to 13hrs40 non-stop.
Old Oct 13, 21, 8:29 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Asia Miles. Not bothering to join Marco Polo.

Concern with indirects in the post-Covid world is 1) any quarantine requirement for transits and 2) if none, any reqm that transits are one ticket.
Old Oct 13, 21, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by percysmith View Post
Concern with indirects in the post-Covid world is 1) any quarantine requirement for transits and 2) if none, any reqm that transits are one ticket.
In general those are things to be mindful of, but for Fiji they will be fully open to vaccinated travellers from 1 December and FJ->FJ is likely to be on the one ticket anyways.
Old Oct 13, 21, 6:48 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by deeruck View Post
it is direct. Direct means same aircraft it doesn't mean nonstop. FJ does have 3 different aircraft types that can fly LAX/NAN, A332, A333 or A350 & for NAN/SYD they have 5 aircraft types & they could change either leg to suit demand.
Old Oct 13, 21, 6:49 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF View Post
Correct - but flying in coach some might appreciate a nice two hour stop to stretch their legs FJ is 17 hours compared to 13hrs40 non-stop.
LAX/SYD is ~15 hours nonstop at least is with Delta.
Old Oct 13, 21, 6:52 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF View Post
In general those are things to be mindful of, but for Fiji they will be fully open to vaccinated travellers from 1 December and FJ->FJ is likely to be on the one ticket anyways.
you can fly through Fiji without actually entering Fiji, unlike passing through USA. Fijians are way ahead of the curve & seem to have more flights operating between SFO & NAN than before covid. I counted 5 in January & they still have the daily A350 LAX/NAN/SYD.
(correction A350 is 6 days a week LAX/NAN, Tuesdays it's an A330, NAN/SYD/NAN is daily with A350)
Old Oct 17, 21, 5:53 am

you can fly through Fiji without actually entering Fiji, unlike passing through USA. Fijians are way ahead of the curve & seem to have more flights operating between SFO & NAN than before covid. I counted 5 in January & they still have the daily A350 LAX/NAN/SYD.
(correction A350 is 6 days a week LAX/NAN, Tuesdays it's an A330, NAN/SYD/NAN is daily with A350)
Currently I thought transit in NAN is forbidden?
Has Qantas set a date when travelers will be required to show proof of vaccination in order to fly?

Search this Thread