Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Qantas will suspend overseas travel until [December] 2021

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Qantas will suspend overseas travel until [December] 2021

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2021, 2:25 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by jmoorfoot
It's just more evidence that QF really should be named Air Sydney.
SYDair or MELair would be OK. PERair just doesn’t sound right.
Old Sep 4, 2021, 7:27 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Until the QLD govt (and WA) allow international arrivals, with minimal restrictions, would not be expecting many(any?) QLD (or WA) QF international flights. QLD & WA are going for isolation by their current policy. Note than QF have dropped PER for the (planned future) LHR flights. Used to be MEL-PER-LHR.. Is a reason for that. Its not all to with aircraft. Going to take 3-4-5 years before international travel gets back to 2019 levels
any Australian politician who tries to impose any restrictions on movement, both domestic & international, once Australia hits 80% vaccinated, risks their own & their parties future.

Am no political expert, but think the federal election due by March 2022 & both major parties on the nose, minor parties could pick up a few senate seats & therefore control federal policy. Surely then, state premiers can be ignored & some sort of federal marshall law imposed, which would mean, feds would take no notice of what states want or think.

Govts should stop governing by opinion polls which have been shown in recent years, to be vastly wrong, when the silent majority, isn't taken into account.

On the A332 aircraft on BNE/LAX/BNE, how on earth is a full A332 going to make LAX/BNE nonstop, even with many seats removed ? & what's the alternate for LAX if winds aren't favourable on BNE/LAX ? HNL ?
Old Sep 4, 2021, 7:30 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jmoorfoot
It's just more evidence that QF really should be named Air Sydney.
yes management at Qantas, just don't seem to get it.

No one from BNE, MEL, ADL (or PER) wants to fly anywhere via SYD.

eg. think most would prefer to fly via AKL or NAN to get to LAX or SFO.
Old Sep 4, 2021, 8:25 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by OZFLYER86
yes management at Qantas, just don't seem to get it.

No one from BNE, MEL, ADL (or PER) wants to fly anywhere via SYD.

eg. think most would prefer to fly via AKL or NAN to get to LAX or SFO.
But isn’t this commercial reality? Sitting from the perspective of CX in HK, pre-pandemic they have the passenger numbers to operate to all capital cities save Hobart. Now it doesn’t even make sense to operate even a passenger daily to even Sydney.
Old Sep 4, 2021, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by percysmith
But isn’t this commercial reality? Sitting from the perspective of CX in HK, pre-pandemic they have the passenger numbers to operate to all capital cities save Hobart. Now it doesn’t even make sense to operate even a passenger daily to even Sydney.
Was a time pre CV19 ~ 2019 that CX operated (international flights) from more AU international airports than did QF. But overall QF had a lot international seats.
Old Sep 4, 2021, 9:29 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by percysmith
IIRC - BNE/LAX JAN 2020 - there were 13 return nonstops a week on B787s. Going to only 4/week A332 (with certain number of blocked seats) nonstops a week, seems like they are playing into hands of Air NZ & Fiji air. Also doubt is any/many of the LAX/BNEs with an A332 will actually be nonstop. Suggest they might have to do a splash & dash at NAN or NOU.
Old Sep 5, 2021, 8:03 pm

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
I suspect the WA politicians will not care if the rest of Australia is opened internationally....
Easy to close the state border for one reason or another.... (Unless Bali opens up )

happy wandering
Fred
Old Sep 6, 2021, 12:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
any Australian politician who tries to impose any restrictions on movement, both domestic & international, once Australia hits 80% vaccinated, risks their own & their parties future.

Am no political expert, but think the federal election due by March 2022 & both major parties on the nose, minor parties could pick up a few senate seats & therefore control federal policy. Surely then, state premiers can be ignored & some sort of federal marshall law imposed, which would mean, feds would take no notice of what states want or think.

Govts should stop governing by opinion polls which have been shown in recent years, to be vastly wrong, when the silent majority, isn't taken into account.

On the A332 aircraft on BNE/LAX/BNE, how on earth is a full A332 going to make LAX/BNE nonstop, even with many seats removed ? & what's the alternate for LAX if winds aren't favourable on BNE/LAX ? HNL ?
That's not the way the system of governance works in Australia. Federal powers are defined by the Constitution. It doesn't matter if minor parties control the Senate, they can't overrule the Constitution. If a state wants to close its borders there's very little the Federal government can do, except challenge through the courts. As long as there is a pandemic the chances of that being successful might be quite small.
Old Sep 7, 2021, 12:15 am

Programs: QF

The westbound will be the problem - QF did LAX-AKL for many years without too much issue. I understand they are looking to bump the MTOW of the newer 332s to do the route - should be do-able at least as an interim solution for a few years
Old Sep 10, 2021, 4:12 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by jrfsp320
The westbound will be the problem - QF did LAX-AKL for many years without too much issue. I understand they are looking to bump the MTOW of the newer 332s to do the route - should be do-able at least as an interim solution for a few years
The A332 did LAX-AKL service slightly better than the B743 that was used on the routes at times, the NAN or HNL stops were not uncommon. If it was an really bad head wind day with marginal weather in AKL you might get lucky with an HNL and an NAN stop.
Old Sep 26, 2021, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As expected

27 Sept (ExecTrav AU)--->Qantas will skip Perth when London flights resume
With Qantas moving towards a gradual restart of international flights from mid-December, Perth will lose its status as the airline's preferred transit point on routes to London. In its place, the Roo's services from Australia to the UK will use either Darwin or Singapore as a springboard instead. "At this stage, WA doesn’t intend to open to international travel until sometime next year, so we’ll unfortunately have to temporarily move our Perth-London service until at least April 2022," said Qantas CEO Alan Joyce. A decision on whether to use Darwin or Singapore is expected next month, as it's not expected that the airline would transit both cities
<snip>
Western Australia also locked out of domestic travel

The state's tough stance on borders is also expected to see it closed to arrivals from New South Wales and Victoria into next year. While Qantas will continue running five return flights a week from both Sydney and Melbourne to Perth for essential travellers, it now doesn't expect WA's border to come down until February 2022. "Based on our discussions with Western Australia, we know their borders won’t be open to New South Wales and Victoria until early next year," continues Joyce. As a result, "we’ve sadly had to cancel the flying we had planned on those routes in the lead-up to Christmas.
<snip>
QF Newsroom QANTAS AND JETSTAR UPDATE FLIGHT SCHEDULES AS STATE PLANS ARE LAID OUT
<snip>
Internationally, flights are still on track to gradually restart from 18 December 2021 onwards when Australia is expected to have reached National Cabinet’s ‘Phase C’ vaccination threshold of 80 per cent. However, as previously flagged, Qantas will temporarily reroute its flagship Perth-London service until at least April 2022 due to the latest WA border settings and assumptions.

Qantas is in detailed discussions with the NT Government and Darwin Airport to assess operating the direct London flight from Darwin during this time. The national carrier has successfully used Darwin as a hub for its repatriation flights to various destinations across Europe, Asia and the Middle East over the past 12 months.

The discussions for what would be a daily Melbourne-Darwin-London service focus on the logistics of domestic and international transit under the current NT Government Plan for COVID-Management at Stage 3 of the National Plan. If this service can’t operate through Darwin, it will instead fly Melbourne-Singapore-London until at least April 2022. A decision on the exact routing is likely to be made within the next two weeks.
<snip>

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Sep 26, 2021 at 9:15 pm
Old Sep 28, 2021, 8:37 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Priority Club Gold, Accor Silver, Virgin Australia Gold
Never mind international another domestic canx!

Yet another voucher, as QF inform me today that even for December they have cancelled my flights to and from on the PER-MEL route. I've given up flying unless I can get back to Europe...it's all to hard.
Old Sep 28, 2021, 9:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nivsy
Yet another voucher, as QF inform me today that even for December they have cancelled my flights to and from on the PER-MEL route. I've given up flying unless I can get back to Europe...it's all to hard.
Talk to your State Premier. He does not like us folks in East Australia. From the way its going it will be easier to fly from SYD/MEL to LAX/LHR than SYD/MEL to BNE/PER.
From above "Based on our discussions with Western Australia, we know their borders won’t be open to New South Wales and Victoria until early next year," continues Joyce. As a result, "we’ve sadly had to cancel the flying we had planned on those routes in the lead-up to Christmas."

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Sep 28, 2021 at 9:35 pm
Old Sep 29, 2021, 4:55 am
HB7

Programs: BA Exec Club, SIA KrisFlyer, Qantas FF, Emirates Skywards
Originally Posted by nivsy
This is all on the WA Premier - nothing at all to do with Qantas. Mark McGowan wants WA effectively isolated from Australia and the world, and judging on the last election the vast majority of WA residents are happy with this.
Old Oct 1, 2021, 12:27 am

Programs: CebGo 5J, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Alaska 100K
Vaccinated Aussies will no longer need an exir permit starting November. yay! https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-10-...ines/100505554

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.