Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Qantas will suspend overseas travel until [December] 2021

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Qantas will suspend overseas travel until [December] 2021

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2021, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by og
The flights may happen, but there is no guarantee that you can walk from the Oz Arrival Terminal to the street without 14 days compulsory hotel quarantine - whether or not you are vaccinated against COVID. I seem to recall those or similar words from senior government yesterday.
IIRC the words were something along the lines that starting vaccination would not 'immediately' change the requirement for quarantine, we need to wait until the population is vaccinated. The vaccination is planned to be completed by October, which seems to line up with Qantas and Jetstar resuming their flights, I don't think there would be enough room in hotel quarantine to handle even half-filled QF/JQ flights in the number being scheduled.
Old Feb 25, 2021, 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Possible but extremely unlikely as Covid-19 vaccination in AU is not due to be completed until end on October (if it goes to plan).
My guess is QF will not start long haul international flights until mid December at very best. AU Government will be very conservative on the border.
Thanks - will pivot my summer plans
Freespirit1 likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2021, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mew24680
Thanks - will pivot my summer plans
I would not be making plans (spend $$ or ff miles/points/avios) to fly QF international until a week before the flight.
og likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2021, 5:27 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
I would not be making plans (spend $$ or ff miles/points/avios) to fly QF international until a week before the flight.
Qantas is offering generous flexibility right now.

https://www.qantas.com/au/en/travel-...ible%3Aen%3Ann
Old Feb 25, 2021, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by danger
Qantas is offering generous flexibility right now.
https://www.qantas.com/au/en/travel-...ible%3Aen%3Ann
Equals a free loan of your money to AJ-QF
Old Feb 25, 2021, 7:17 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Equals a free loan of your money to AJ-QF
Not just a free loan but small chance of a free gift to AJ-QF incase you lose track of the credit / ticket or die or both ..
Mwenenzi likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2021, 10:39 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by HB7
The chance of Qantas operating any international commercial flights apart from NZ and a handful of Asian countries this year sits at about 1%.
totally disagree. I think 31 Oct will be restart of all Qantas int flights, that they will operate. NZ/Fiji & other Pacific islands in a month or 2.

They now have a monopoly on routes such as BNE/LAX (no virgin)

There will be no quarantine come 1 Nov or earlier.
Old Feb 27, 2021, 5:18 pm

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
if they keep 14day quarantine for vaccinated traveller, an "open boarder" is as muchh of PR stunt as QF claiming "international travels resumes"

chances are they waive 14day quarantine for arrivals from low risk area to start.
og likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2021, 3:50 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
[mod hat] I have deleted several post which very no in line with FT rules and posts which quoted them. [/mod hat]
Old May 11, 2021, 5:02 am
HB7

Programs: BA Exec Club, SIA KrisFlyer, Qantas FF, Emirates Skywards
I would imagine Qantas will soon be coming out and cancelling their October resumption for travel? The budget has basically said borders will remain shut till at least mid-2022. No point in selling tickets for October this year when those flights aren't happening.
djsflynn likes this.
Old May 11, 2021, 6:06 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by HB7
No point in selling tickets for October this year when those flights aren't happening.
The point is interest free access to cash.
Old May 11, 2021, 3:19 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by HB7
I would imagine Qantas will soon be coming out and cancelling their October resumption for travel? The budget has basically said borders will remain shut till at least mid-2022. No point in selling tickets for October this year when those flights aren't happening.
why ? Qantas said end of Oct 2021 & a pollie says one thing one day & the opposite the next. They want Australians to spend all their money in Australia.

I think what will happen is, in a few months (2 to 6) govt will come out & say, you've all been so good getting your vaccinations, that almost all borders will open. The pressure must be enormous. Every business with the slightly link to inbound tourism is screaming to open the borders.
Old May 11, 2021, 3:50 pm
HB7

Programs: BA Exec Club, SIA KrisFlyer, Qantas FF, Emirates Skywards
Originally Posted by OZFLYER86
why ? Qantas said end of Oct 2021 & a pollie says one thing one day & the opposite the next. They want Australians to spend all their money in Australia.

I think what will happen is, in a few months (2 to 6) govt will come out & say, you've all been so good getting your vaccinations, that almost all borders will open. The pressure must be enormous. Every business with the slightly link to inbound tourism is screaming to open the borders.
I'm not sure what your sources are, but there is no pressure to open borders whatsoever - if anything just the opposite. Borders won't be opening up for at least 18 - 24 months and unfortunately the government wants that and will do nothing to change a thing. Mind you, the vaccine rollout in Australia is an absolute shambles and they won't be finished in 2022 anyway.
HFHFFlyer likes this.
Old May 11, 2021, 4:05 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by HB7
I'm not sure what your sources are, but there is no pressure to open borders whatsoever - if anything just the opposite. Borders won't be opening up for at least 18 - 24 months and unfortunately the government wants that and will do nothing to change a thing. Mind you, the vaccine rollout in Australia is an absolute shambles and they won't be finished in 2022 anyway.
1000s of tourism businesses who's owners mostly voted for LNP are hammering their elected members of parliament.

Look at airlines - Qantas is in trouble if all borders don't open soon. You'll probably need jabs to go beyond NZ in the short term.

Of course the fed govt will talk up the economy, but think we're heading for an early election, as recession is going to be awful.
shillard likes this.
Old May 11, 2021, 4:20 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by lokijuh
The point is interest free access to cash.
Processing a refund for a fare of a few hundred dollars MUST be more expensive than paying today's microscopic interest rates. The only possible win for an airline would be breakage, i.e. people failing to claim their refunds.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.