Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Qantas will suspend overseas travel until [December] 2021

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Qantas will suspend overseas travel until [December] 2021

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2021, 11:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by tom911
Does anyone have a handle on what time frame QF is taking US flights off the schedule? ...
They will hang on as much as possible - the later they cancel the later they have to refund.

There is much perception are in Oz that even opening international bookings for 2021 is an attempt to garner some interest free short term cash.
Old Feb 12, 2021, 2:13 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
And with the HI MEL cluster potentially seeding across Oz, I can’t see that any Oz government will be in the mood for any relaxation of restrictions.
If I followed your line of argumentation, then Australia would never open it's borders in our lifetime and QF would never resume intl flying.
As I said before, the Coronavirus is the new norm (like the Influenza virus) and will be with us on planet earth forever.
If we assume that 80% of Australia's population has been vaccinated by August 2021 -> then what is the point of keeping the border closed?
A mutation may enter Australia in 2021, in 2022 or in 2030.
Freespirit1 likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2021, 2:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
[mod hat] I have deleted several off-topic posts discussing COVID sentiments in general. [/mod hat]
Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
[mod hat] Please stay on topic. If it is not about Qantas it shouldn't be here. [/mod hat]
Originally Posted by warakorn
If I followed your line of argumentation, then Australia would never open it's borders in our lifetime and QF would never resume intl flying.
As I said before, the Coronavirus is the new norm (like the Influenza virus) and will be with us on planet earth forever.
If we assume that 80% of Australia's population has been vaccinated by August 2021 -> then what is the point of keeping the border closed?
A mutation may enter Australia in 2021, in 2022 or in 2030.
Main AU Covid-19 thread---> Australia’s response to Covid-19 [general border control thread]
This thread is "Qantas will suspend overseas travel until mid-2021"
Old Feb 24, 2021, 3:07 pm

Programs: BA Silver AA Lifetime Gold
Plan to restart international flights late October
https://www.qantasnewsroom.com.au/me...-late-october/

Spike
Old Feb 24, 2021, 8:35 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by Funky Spike
Plan to restart international flights late October
https://www.qantasnewsroom.com.au/me...-late-october/
I assume AJ cleared this crystal ball prediction with Scottie from Marketing before the press release - just incase the arm(s) of government(s) that run the compulsory arrival quarantine and the others that grant permission to leave the country know the schedule ?
Freespirit1 likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2021, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by og
I assume AJ cleared this crystal ball prediction with Scottie from Marketing before the press release - just incase the arm(s) of government(s) that run the compulsory arrival quarantine and the others that grant permission to leave the country know the schedule ?
The plans will be subject to border controls. Any pax on flights that don't run will be offered a refund, or probably an option to keep the fare as a credit, with some sweetener.

I don't think Qantas is going bankrupt, so I feel safe buying a fare from them on the chance travel will be permitted.
Old Feb 24, 2021, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
The plans will be subject to border controls. Any pax on flights that don't run will be offered a refund, or probably an option to keep the fare as a credit, with some sweetener.

I don't think Qantas is going bankrupt, so I feel safe buying a fare from them on the chance travel will be permitted.
Originally Posted by og
I assume AJ cleared this crystal ball prediction with Scottie from Marketing before the press release - just in case the arm(s) of government(s) that run the compulsory arrival quarantine and the others that grant permission to leave the country know the schedule ?
AJ /QF could operate international flights now if they wish. Many other airlines have never stopped (like UA NZ) and others started flights (AA DL others) to AU. The question is if QF operate flights will they have paying passengers, given the restrictions on leaving and entering Australia (depending on passport - visa). Effectively anyone who buying a ticket is just giving all the airlines a free loan
Old Feb 24, 2021, 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF

This will be the 6th time Qantas have announced flights commencing, me booking, flights not commencing. Grateful I can rebook and the momentary excitement but never any sweetner....
Old Feb 24, 2021, 11:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Freespirit1
This will be the 6th time Qantas have announced flights commencing, me booking, flights not commencing.
Grateful I can rebook and the momentary excitement but never any sweetner....
Interest free loans are always good for the QF shareholders (and staff bonus)
Old Feb 25, 2021, 2:28 am
HB7

Programs: BA Exec Club, SIA KrisFlyer, Qantas FF, Emirates Skywards
I think these flights have a good chance of happening. It hinges on the vaccine programme.

By that point, it is expected that everyone in Australia eligible is vaccinated (or at least offered one). Furthermore, a large number of people (possibly even whole populations) in Europe, the UK, the US will be fully vaccinated.

If the vaccine is as good as early data suggests in terms of preventing serious disease and transmission - there is no reason why borders continue to stay shut for people who are fully vaccinated using an approved vaccine.
Old Feb 25, 2021, 12:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
My guess is also: It is realistic that QF will resume international flying by October 2021, incl. routes to London and Los Angeles.
Most likely passenger have to show proof of vaccination (digital app), whereas not all vaccines are accepted (e.g. Sputnik V) + passenger have to run through a Covid test before boarding a flight to Australia.
Freespirit1 likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2021, 12:34 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
My May flights to/from Australia have finally dropped off the schedule and Alaska has refunded taxes/fees. Noticed the March 28 LAX-MEL was still on the schedule yesterday, though today it's gone, so it was cancelled about 31 days before departure. My August trip to Australia is still active. Going to work on a November trip now.
Freespirit1 likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2021, 1:06 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
The flights may happen, but there is no guarantee that you can walk from the Oz Arrival Terminal to the street without 14 days compulsory hotel quarantine - whether or not you are vaccinated against COVID. I seem to recall those or similar words from senior government yesterday.
Mwenenzi and Freespirit1 like this.
Old Feb 25, 2021, 1:43 pm

When qantas says Oct 31st is that a hard stop and changing it to be earlier is not possible?
Old Feb 25, 2021, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mew24680
When Qantas says Oct 31st is that a hard stop and changing it to be earlier is not possible?
Possible but extremely unlikely as Covid-19 vaccination in AU is not due to be completed until end on October (if it goes to plan).
My guess is QF will not start long haul international flights until mid December at very best. AU Government will be very conservative on the border.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.