Miles&Points

Airlines and Mileage Programs

Qantas | Frequent Flyer

Qantas will suspend overseas travel until [December] 2021

Qantas will suspend overseas travel until [December] 2021

Old Feb 8, 21, 2:34 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
I wonder if outport airlines are reliably operating directs from those locations, is it worth QF's while (economically speaking) to operate further services?
Well, I do agree that QF intl operations will be much less in late 2021 than in late 2019.

In any case it's the arrivals cap that QF/SQ/CX all have to collectively overcome. It's not like there's untaken arrival passenger quotas that SQ nor CX is willing to carry passengers to fill. They're probably less than half filling their existing services to Aus anyway.
If death rates come down significantly by the the course of 2021, there is no point for the Australian government not to abandon the quotas.

The SARS Coronavirus (whether version 1, 2, 3 ...) is here to stay on the planet earth. With the mutations it will morph itself into a new "flu". Yesterday I have heard about a Swiss study that Covid-19 is 3-times more deadly than the flu.
Thus, if advanced treatments and vaccinations can push the death rate down to the rates of the normal flu, then there is no medical reason not to open the Australian borders again. The flu has killed million of Australians in the past 100 years, however, Australia didn't close it's borders because of it.
Freespirit1 likes this.
Old Feb 8, 21, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by warakorn View Post
The flu has killed million of Australians in the past 100 years, however, Australia didn't close it's borders because of it.
Perhaps not in the past 100 years, but certainly 102 years ago Australia closed both the external and internal (state) borders because of flu.
Ardentinny likes this.
Old Feb 8, 21, 2:01 pm
Suspended

That's why I (intentionally) wrote 100 years.
Old Feb 9, 21, 11:29 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by percysmith View Post
ImThey're probably less than half filling their existing services to Aus anyway.
Theyd be definitely more than half full of their were operating Dash 8-300 series on their routes.

SIN-SYD early Dec, 39 pax onboard (SQ), MEL-SIN late Jan 34 pax onboaed. One presumes theyre generating decent freight loads. But whilst exit restrictions remain on leaving Australia and 2 weeks quarantine remain in place for arrivals. I cant see QF reinstating their services.
Old Feb 9, 21, 12:30 pm
Suspended

I can’t see QF reinstating their services.
Not today, but what about October 2021?
At that point 80+% of the population should have received the vaccine.
And again regarding the mutants -> the situation won't change between October 2021, October 2022, October 2023 -> we will always have to deal with mutants (as we are dealing with new Influenza mutants every year).
Old Feb 10, 21, 11:15 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Does anyone have a handle on what time frame QF is taking US flights off the schedule? I see a March 28 LAX-MEL is still there, even though it is zeroed out, and that's 46 days out now. Trying to get a handle on when they might cancel my May flights that are also on the schedule (also zeroed out - Alaska has updated me with domestic Australia schedule changes on it recently), so I can check with Alaska and have them refund the booking fee they charge due to flight cancellation. Are they waiting until 30 days before departure to remove the flight from the schedule? Some other time frame until it disappears?

QF 94 3/28/21 22:40 MEL 03/30/21 8:35
Daily
J0 C0 D0 I0 U0 W0 R0 T0 Z0 Y0 B0 H0 K0 M0 L0 V0 S0 N0 Q0 O0 G0 X0 E0
Old Feb 10, 21, 11:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tom911 View Post
Does anyone have a handle on what time frame QF is taking US flights off the schedule? I see a March 28 LAX-MEL is still there, even though it is zeroed out, and that's 46 days out now. Trying to get a handle on when they might cancel my May flights that are also on the schedule (also zeroed out - Alaska has updated me with domestic Australia schedule changes on it recently), so I can check with Alaska and have them refund the booking fee they charge due to flight cancellation. Are they waiting until 30 days before departure to remove the flight from the schedule? Some other time frame until it disappears?
Cannot see QF flying long haul in May. Or June or July or August. They will not want to give back cash refunds any time soon. even if flights are to be cancelled. May just need to wait until QF formally cancels. Any late Feb - early March QF flights shown? (not the QF codeshare on AA)

04 Jan 2021 (ExecTrav AU)---->Qantas reopens bookings for all international flights from July 2021
That was rebuffed by the Government stating the border would not be open ---> *link*

04 Jan 2021 (ExecTrav AU)---->Qantas pushes back flights to Singapore, Hong Kong, Japan
Old Feb 10, 21, 11:52 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi View Post
Any late Feb - early March QF flights shown? (not the QF codeshare on AA)
March 28 is the first date the LAX-MEL QF 94 service shows up. It's been like that at least the last week or two which has me wondering what time frame Qantas is using to completely cancel flights and take them off the schedule. Do they just do it once a month or is it on some type of rolling schedule every couple weeks?
Old Feb 11, 21, 12:27 am

Originally Posted by tom911 View Post
March 28 is the first date the LAX-MEL QF 94 service shows up. It's been like that at least the last week or two which has me wondering what time frame Qantas is using to completely cancel flights and take them off the schedule. Do they just do it once a month or is it on some type of rolling schedule every couple weeks?
While I was on the phone to arrange a cash refund for a March 18 flight, which I have received, to NYC the operator also generated a voucher for a July flight LHR which I have rebooked Aug 4th
I am not holding my breath but everything is unpredictable
Qantas are doing a great juggling act with bookings, glad it's not my job
Old Feb 11, 21, 2:11 pm
Suspended

04 Jan 2021 (ExecTrav AU)---->Qantas reopens bookings for all international flights from July 2021
That was rebuffed by the Government stating the border would not be open ---> *link*
Please, that is not what the government (Australian Minister of Transport) said.
The article meantions the following statement: "Decisions about when international travel resumes will be made by the Australian Government, ... International borders will be opened when international arrivals do not pose a risk to Australians."
So there was no clear statement that the border won't open by summer 2021. There was just a statement that the government decides based on a risk assessment.

As soon as the government hints a relaxation of rules, you will see QF making new flights availble for booking.
Freespirit1 likes this.
Old Feb 11, 21, 5:06 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
...As soon as the government hints a relaxation of rules, you will see QF making new flights availble for booking.
And with the HI MEL cluster potentially seeding across Oz, I cant see that any Oz government will be in the mood for any relaxation of restrictions.
Freespirit1 likes this.
Old Feb 11, 21, 6:04 pm

Programs: OZ Platinum LifeTime; DL PM; QF Gold; VA Gold; HH Diamond; Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi View Post
Cannot see QF flying long haul in May. Or June or July or August. They will not want to give back cash refunds any time soon. even if flights are to be cancelled. May just need to wait until QF formally cancels. Any late Feb - early March QF flights shown? (not the QF codeshare on AA)

04 Jan 2021 (ExecTrav AU)---->Qantas pushes back flights to Singapore, Hong Kong, Japan
Please, that is not what the government (Australian Minister of Transport) said.
The article meantions the following statement: "Decisions about when international travel resumes will be made by the Australian Government, ... International borders will be opened when international arrivals do not pose a risk to Australians."
So there was no clear statement that the border won't open by summer 2021. There was just a statement that the government decides based on a risk assessment.

As soon as the government hints a relaxation of rules, you will see QF making new flights availble for booking.

Of course in the strictest sense, that's not precisely what was said. But what was meant was exactly that. The wording and the timing of the statement from the govt was a clear slapdown of Qantas' implied opening of borders.
Mwenenzi likes this.
Old Feb 11, 21, 7:03 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
So there was no clear statement that the border won't open by summer 2021..
But it won't be, as of course there are only 16 days left of the summer of 2021
Mwenenzi and og like this.
Old Feb 11, 21, 7:14 pm
DC9

Programs: QF Platinum, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by lokijuh View Post
But it won't be, as of course there are only 16 days left of the summer of 2021
Summer 2021 starts in December 2021 in Oz, so another 9 months to go. 😉
Mwenenzi and lokijuh like this.
Old Feb 11, 21, 7:21 pm
HB7

Programs: BA Exec Club, SIA KrisFlyer, Qantas FF, Emirates Skywards
The chance of Qantas operating any international commercial flights apart from NZ and a handful of Asian countries this year sits at about 1%.

Search this Thread