Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Refund Advice Needed

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2020, 7:31 pm

Programs: QF WP; VA Gold
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
The Qantas campaign was carefully orchestrated, inviting people to cancel now and receive a voucher or possibly ‘miss out’ later. Some of those flights QF likely knew they were never going to operate, but did not cancel them in the system... thus forcing a ‘voluntary’ cancellation (or so they would argue). QF should have cancelled those flights up front, as soon as they knew they were not going to operate them.
Hence why the ACCC is keeping a watchful eye on them but really should be more pressure.

That said I have learned that in most instances just because I need to cancel a flight, unless I want to rebook it or use its voucher, there is no advantage in cancelling early - I should cancel at the last moment allowed under the contract as an external event ie a cancellation or resched, industrial action might push the commercial terms offered in my favour.
Old Jun 21, 2020, 8:11 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Priority Club Gold, Accor Silver, Virgin Australia Gold
I think this in general answers my queries and some of the other posts above now..

https://www.australianfrequentflyer....elled-flights/
Old Jun 22, 2020, 11:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Char25
Hey Stevie great news re the refund. I have flights booked 27 Oct Birmingham to Brisbane which obviously wont be flying. I am waiting for Qantas to say its cancelled so I can get a refund but nothing yet. I have until 30 June for a free "change/voucher" I'm hesitant to get this as I'd prefer the refund. When was your flight booked for?
As QF do not fly Birmingham to Brisbane or LHR-BNE is/was this on QF/EK? Or via DXB, PER, SYD, MEL or what ever?
Emirates EK are starting to fly again
27 October is 4 months away. Things may change

Link 18 June QF-----> Booking changes and other options

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Jun 22, 2020 at 11:18 pm
Old Jun 23, 2020, 2:38 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
On hold to the UK 0800 number. Call back not an option unless Australian or NZ number.
So far 1 hour 27 mins on hold which is beyond the estimate when I went on hold. I'd called on 13 April to refund a ticket, told would take 45 days. Subsequent call indicated 8-10 weeks. Now a day beyond 10 weeks so calling again and holding on regardless at this point!
Pretty poor show really.
Old Jun 23, 2020, 2:43 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
...and at 1 hour 30 minutes, the call rang three times and went to the automated survey. Useless really would be an achievement. Started the process again!
Old Jun 23, 2020, 3:22 am

....and after a mere 51 minutes on hold this time, lots of apologies about the delay, refund processed and will be credited to my card tonight
Gorcat and littlegreenman like this.
Old Jul 15, 2020, 4:11 am

Programs: Meh
Originally Posted by stevie
I never got e-mail confirmation of refund being processed - is this normal?
Still no refund. Waiting an hour now.
Poor service, will get my refund and skip using QF ever again.
Old Jul 15, 2020, 6:22 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
I have a growing list of airlines I think I’ll never use again because of refund delays ..
Old Jul 15, 2020, 6:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Have you disputed the charge with the card company? that is a fairly quick way of getting the refund
Old Jul 15, 2020, 2:38 pm

Programs: UAL 1P, Bonvoy Plat, Delta Silver Med, AA Gold
Interesting to hear others frustration as my experience seeking a refund has been quite a bit better. Booked two J tickets back in January for November 2020 travel from USA to Perth (via SYD/MEL) using the Chase Sapphire travel portal. Shortly after QF announced cancellation of most ex AU flights through October I knew the trip was toast. However, as others have noted my schedule remained intact and I became quite concerned that I would just have to wait it out till cancellation. However, on a whim and even though the flights were still bookable on the QF website, I decided to call Chase to see if I could cancel as knew there was no way that, as U.S, resident, I would be allowed in the country this year. Surprisingly, I was on hold for only 10 minutes while the TA contacted QF to make the inquiry. And, sure enough, our tickets were immediately cancelled and I was told to look for a full credit to my CC within 14 calendar days. However, within about 7 days the credit appeared. No muss no fuss. Interestingly, I kept the QF App on my phone and when I checked it the other day the original schedule still appeared under my trips although, upon further investigation, QF no longer seems to be selling these flights.
Gorcat likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2020, 6:16 pm

Programs: QF WP LTG, HHonors Diamond, NZ Gold
Originally Posted by og
I have a growing list of airlines I think I’ll never use again because of refund delays ..
If the current situation continues (and continues to regress) into the next calendar year you could well find a growing list of airlines you simply won't be able to use again ... period!

Regards,

BD
Old Jul 15, 2020, 6:29 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by BD1959
If the current situation continues (and continues to regress) into the next calendar year you could well find a growing list of airlines you simply won't be able to use again ... period!
May be truer than some think. Perhaps I do need steak knives after-all.
Old Jul 18, 2020, 9:32 am

Programs: OW
10 weeks for a refund is just bad. Other airlines were much faster. The best case I had was with BA where I got the money back after 2 days.

With QF, it is even worse. I got the cancellation end of March with the information that the ticket value was converted into a voucher. I immediately accessed my QF account and asked for a refund. However, nothing happened and at the end of May I followed up via phone. They informed me that they have not received my refund request. Seriously? Then they promised me that they will process the request but it will take up to 10 weeks. Really, receiving money takes just seconds but paying back 10 weeks. As I said, others are much faster.

It just looks bad how customers are treated.
Old Jul 18, 2020, 10:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If you don't want to wait 10 weeks, then dispute the charge with the card company - will bring the time down to about 30 days
Old Aug 25, 2020, 2:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA - Bronze : HHonnors Gold : Hyatt Gold
Originally Posted by Gorcat
Hi

I’ve got three internal flights booked with Qantas in July - all on the same booking ref.

Perth to Melbourne
Melbourne to Cairns
Cairns to Sydney

I’ve received an email from Qantas stating that my direct Melbourne to Cairns flight has now been cancelled. However they have rebooked me on another flight changing at Brisbane, and doubling the journey time.
I have options of pressing a button to accept the change or press a button for cancel/voucher.

However I would just like a refund for this booking, there’s no way I’m going to make this journey.

Am I entitled to a refund, and if so how should I go about it? I don’t want to press the cancel/voucher button in case that ruins any chance of obtaining a refund.

Thanks in advance.
Finally got my refund for all three flights on the same booking reference.

Applied by telephone for refund on 10th June.
Was told it would be 8-10 weeks.

No refund after 10 weeks

I telephoned on 21st August and refund was processed and confirmation email received a few minutes later.

Refund paid into my account on the 24th August.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.