Community
Wiki Posts
Search

question on SIN-MEL award

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2020, 8:31 am
Original Poster

question on SIN-MEL award

I didn't see a flame-free folder, so apologies as I haven't used QF in a while.

What are the odds of picking up an F award on SIN-MEL?

I see nothing until EOC and I don't know if it's because QF is being stingy, or they may not deploy the A380 on that route post-COVID.

On the QF points calculator, it's only giving a J option through Colombo.

Thanks!

Last edited by saaveraward; Jun 5, 2020 at 9:33 am
Old Jun 5, 2020, 5:06 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by saaveraward
I didn't see a flame-free folder, so apologies as I haven't used QF in a while.

What are the odds of picking up an F award on SIN-MEL?

I see nothing until EOC and I don't know if it's because QF is being stingy, or they may not deploy the A380 on that route post-COVID.

On the QF points calculator, it's only giving a J option through Colombo.

Thanks!
The best chance is to use QF points to get an award when they are released 364 (?) days prior. This is 3 weeks before other airlines generally have access (eg AA miles).

If nothing is available, then the flight(s) are not operated by the 388, or the seats have already gone (or speculatively taken by others then cancelled at late notice), or QF is holding awards until last minute in the hope of people buying cash seats, or QF is not giving any awards at all in the F cabin, or QF anticipate an aircraft sub to a 787 or 330.
Old Jun 5, 2020, 5:21 pm
Original Poster

That was the best non-answer ever on FT :-) You covered every possibility imaginable
Old Jun 5, 2020, 5:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Given that , taking a week in september for example, there is no availability for 1st class tickets to purchase, it seems likely to me that QF is not selling 1st class at the moment; looking at early next year, where 1st is offered, there seems to be no availability for awards even where paid is available ; I suspect that if you want to get a 1st award, you may need to wait until the current SARS-CoV-2 issues die down and the airline can properly plan
Old Jun 5, 2020, 5:39 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
That was the best non-answer ever on FT :-) You covered every possibility imaginable
One I didn’t cover was the greater potential award availability for high status QF card holders (OWE or higher). Apologies for my earlier less than comprehensive non answer.
Old Jun 5, 2020, 6:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Given that , taking a week in september for example, there is no availability for 1st class tickets to purchase, it seems likely to me that QF is not selling 1st class at the moment; looking at early next year, where 1st is offered, there seems to be no availability for awards even where paid is available ; I suspect that if you want to get a 1st award, you may need to wait until the current SARS-CoV-2 issues die down and the airline can properly plan
Seems that way. They will take a revenue F booking in April 2021.

In "normal" times, how difficult is it to get an F award on that route?
Old Jun 6, 2020, 2:27 am
THR

Just a note that if you don’t have status (Gold+), then you can only book 297 days out - not when availability first opens.
og likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2020, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
In "normal" times, how difficult is it to get an F award on that route?
It's not impossible. As a QF silver I've secured single seats about 3 - 4 months before departure.
Old Jun 7, 2020, 8:26 pm

Programs: Alaska
Will A380 ever come back to this route?

I have some doubt

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.