Search

historic route: SYD - MAN ?

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2020, 6:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
historic route: SYD - MAN ?

A friend tells me he's sure Qantas once operated between Sydney and Manchester. Seems odd these days of strategic hubs.....

If it happened, i imagine it was one of those meandering routes, scattering crew in odd spots on the way, before arriving in the northern powerhouse, AKA Manchester.

Anyone hold memories of such a route?
Old May 2, 2020, 6:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If I recall correctly, most recent incarnation was a 146 feeder service that operated MAN-LHR to connect to flight to Australia
Old May 2, 2020, 6:46 am

Programs: |QF Platinum|DL Platinum|HH Gold|ALL Silver|
In the early 1990's I believe that one of the 747s they flew to LHR did a tag on to MAN and back rather than sit on the runway at Heathrow.

I had an old in-flight magazine from the time which showed LHR-MAN on the route map as a red line (operated by Qantas) rather than a dotted line (codeshare operated by someone else).

That route map showed you could get from Australia to LHR via SIN, BKK and HKG on Qantas metal!

Confirmed here - https://www.routesonline.com/news/38...ional-network/ - flown once a day on a 744 in 1994.
writerguyfl and Phorbas like this.

Last edited by Supersonic Swinger; May 2, 2020 at 6:51 am
Old May 2, 2020, 3:55 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by Supersonic Swinger
That route map showed you could get from Australia to LHR via SIN, BKK and HKG on Qantas metal!
And in earlier years (707s) you could also fly from Oz to LHR either via the USA (SYD-NAN-HNL-SFO-JFK-LHR ) or via Mexico ( SYD-AKL-PPT-ACA-MEX-NAS-BDA-LHR ).
Old May 2, 2020, 3:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Some checking suggests that it was around 2004 that Qantas was using some 146s to run LHR-MAN , allegedly to ensure it kept Heathrow slots

Since that finished, LHR has been the only UK departure point
Old May 3, 2020, 1:53 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Some checking suggests that it was around 2004 that Qantas was using some 146s to run LHR-MAN , allegedly to ensure it kept Heathrow slots

Since that finished, LHR has been the only UK departure point
QF bought slots at LHR for a record price for starting SYD-HKG-LHR service, and had to use these slots or lose them, thus wet leased these BAE 146-200s from Flightline in UK. They were white tailed (no QF insignia) and could only be booked as a direct connection to QF flights leaving LHR (no stopovers allowed -- I tried).
They ended once the 744s were available for the HKG service. I took it once and was the only pax on board, remember being told they typically had 2 or 3 pax. QF would have lost the slots at LHR if they did not operate this service.

As an aside, roughly same era CX ran MAN-HKG flights (via various cities such as Moscow and Milan at times). Those stopped as uneconomic.
moa999 likes this.
Old May 10, 2020, 9:19 am

Programs: QF Plat, IHG RA, Marriott Plat
The did indeed. It was a 744. During the mid 90s it made three stops en route - I believe SIN, BKK, LHR.

If you search online you’ll find old QF timetables showing the schedule, with MAN on the route map.

in fact I just ran a quick search and also found SYD - MEL - SIN - BOM - FRA - MAN operating as QF 5/6 in 1985/6.
Old May 11, 2020, 4:08 am

Programs: Permanent nobody on AA, UA, QF & NZ
Originally Posted by number_6

As an aside, roughly same era CX ran MAN-HKG flights (via various cities such as Moscow and Milan at times). Those stopped as uneconomic.
SQ also did MAN-Rome-BKK-SIN once a week in the early 90's, I came home from my first trip to the UK that way
Old May 11, 2020, 6:34 pm

Programs: QF WP LTG, HHonors Diamond, NZ Gold
... but have since returned. CX now (in non-virus times) run HKG-MAN direct using the A350 ... and very nice it is!

Regards,

BD
Old May 11, 2020, 8:57 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by BD1959
... but have since returned. CX now (in non-virus times) run HKG-MAN direct using the A350 ... and very nice it is!
I wondered about that as CX never closed their office in MAN despite having no pax service and no regular cargo service. I think MAN airport was giving inducements to get international flights (AA and DL started TATL to MAN in the 90s despite having poor loads, everyone seems to want to go to LHR). I've always liked MAN but doubt that CX will resume MAN-HKG flights. Not looking good for CX to survive long. Maybe if CX folds then QF will restart their HKG strategy and fly MEL-HKG-MAN
Old May 17, 2020, 12:12 pm

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Originally Posted by og
And in earlier years (707s) you could also fly from Oz to LHR either via the USA (SYD-NAN-HNL-SFO-JFK-LHR ) or via Mexico ( SYD-AKL-PPT-ACA-MEX-NAS-BDA-LHR ).
A friend of my father's used to fly those routes when he was a steward with QF. His eyes glaze over and a huge smile breaks out on his face when he recalls those (pre-wife!) days. One of the Pacific Island stops meant a 7 day layover as the flight was only weekly, so that meant 6 days by the hotel pool, iirc!
og and kirkwoodj like this.
Old May 23, 2020, 9:43 pm

I wondered about that as CX never closed their office in MAN despite having no pax service and no regular cargo service. I think MAN airport was giving inducements to get international flights (AA and DL started TATL to MAN in the 90s despite having poor loads, everyone seems to want to go to LHR). I've always liked MAN but doubt that CX will resume MAN-HKG flights. Not looking good for CX to survive long. Maybe if CX folds then QF will restart their HKG strategy and fly MEL-HKG-MAN
MAN has a large hkg immigrant population there from the 80s. In addition a lot of trade and university demand now.
Old May 31, 2020, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by DonPedro
The did indeed. It was a 744. During the mid 90s it made three stops en route - I believe SIN, BKK, LHR.

If you search online you’ll find old QF timetables showing the schedule, with MAN on the route map.

in fact I just ran a quick search and also found SYD - MEL - SIN - BOM - FRA - MAN operating as QF 5/6 in 1985/6.

Thanks for that ! The friend who prompted me to start this Thread got back to me with a 747-200 operating SYD BKK ATH AMS MAN

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.