Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Pre-Covid Trip Report: Qantas Business Class 737-800 Melbourne to Christchurch

Old Apr 26, 2020, 1:15 pm
Original Poster

Hello all,

What a hectic and crazy life in the past couple months - I hope everyone stay safe and be well!
I thought I'd start writing more trip reports again since my last report on my best flight ever on Qantas First Class A380 Singapore to Melbourne.

Today, I'd like to share about my connecting flight from Melbourne to Christchurch.After an impressive flight from Singapore to Melbourne and a quick visit to Qantas International First Lounge Melbourne, I headed to the gate where my connecting flight to Christchurch departed.

My flight was 20 minutes delayed, so I hung out at the lounge a bit longer until boarding commenced I was among the last passengers to board. Unlike my previous flight on Airbus A380, this short hop was operated by an aging Boeing 737.

The business class cabin on Qantas narrow-body plane is pretty standard, just like the typical domestic first class cabin in North America. However, most international carriers configure their regional business class cabin with a footrest, although the legroom wasnt that great on this particular flight.

Waiting at my seat were headphones, blanket, and pillow.

As Ive always mentioned, a great flight starts with an excellent service. This flight was no exception. The flight attendants were relatively young and very friendly they addressed me by my last name throughout the flight.

Despite the delay announcement, we ended up leaving the gate only 5 minutes later than our scheduled departure time, once the boarding gate closed. We taxied to the runway and rolled down the runway in no time.

Shortly after take-off, the flight attendants took my breakfast order.

The starter consisted of greek style yoghurt with blueberry and lavender compote and gingerbread rhubarb muffin. For some reason, it took a while for the starter to come about 55 minutes after take-off.

For the main course, I ordered bacon, egg, and gruyre toasted sourdough sandwich with Neils tomato relish, along with some healthy (green) juice.

The bread was a bit too greasy to my liking, but butter does make everything tastes better! It was easily the best breakfast on any short-haul flight Ive ever taken. I guess the Ozzie knows very well how to make yummy brekkie! 😉

Once the breakfast service completed, I attempted to connect to Wifi. Unfortunately, while Qantas offers free internet, it wasnt working at that time.

Instead, I reclined my seat and enjoyed the remaining of the flight. Every once in a while, I looked out of my window to stunning views.

I also checked out the lavatory.

A little over two and a half hours into the flight, we started our initial descent into Christchurch.

We landed in Christchurch 8 minutes ahead of schedule.

Conclusion

I dont have anything to say but good things about Qantas Airways. My experience has been incredible, and its refreshing to see employees who work with pride and enjoy their job very much. While the hard product isnt the best in the industry (they are still very good), the service standard they provide amazes me.

I very much enjoyed this short hop from Melbourne to Christchurch. The flight attendants were friendly, and the breakfast was incredible. I am looking forward to flying Qantas again on my next adventure in the South Pacific.
Old Apr 26, 2020, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by johnsw1988
<snip>
The business class cabin on Qantas’ narrow-body plane is pretty standard, just like the typical domestic first class cabin in North America. However, most international carriers configure their regional business class cabin with a footrest, although the legroom wasn’t that great on this particular flight.
<snip>

Conclusion
I don’t have anything to say but good things about Qantas Airways. My experience has been incredible, and it’s refreshing to see employees who work with pride and enjoy their job very much. While the hard product isn’t the best in the industry (they are still very good), the service standard they provide amazes me.

I very much enjoyed this short hop from Melbourne to Christchurch. The flight attendants were friendly, and the breakfast was incredible. I am looking forward to flying Qantas again on my next adventure in the South Pacific.
A flight I often take, albeit often in seat 14D.
QF do not have a regional business class. These same aircraft and crew fly Au domestic routes. QF have ~75 aircraft in this configuration.
This international flight MEL-CHC is shorter than some Au domestic flights.
Routes --->Great Circle Mapper
johnsw1988 likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2020, 10:19 pm

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
That particular aircraft is actually in the younger half of QFs 737s as it has seatback IFE (probably a 2011 delivery if it didn't have Boeing Sky Interior), the remainder 2002-2009 deliveries are BYO tablet for WiFi.

Almost all the QF 737s now have Inflight Internet, however it uses Australia's NBN Satellite for service, which has narrow focussed beams on the Australian mainland so it wont work to NZ.
A tradeoff for a quicker service on the Australian mainland.
johnsw1988 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.