Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Has Qantas announced/signaled when it will announce June schedule

Old Apr 21, 20, 9:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA: PPro, 4MM; HH: Lifetime Diamond; MAR Life Titanium Hertz: Prez Circle

Before the world went to heck, my family planned a June/July vacation: DFW-MEL/SYD-DFW
We're booked through AA, but the LAX-MEL (late June) and SYD-DFW (mid July) are both operated by QF. Has QF indicated when it would be announcing what flights it would be operating in June? At this point, we're resigned to not taking the trip, but are waiting for official word of one or both flights being cancelled to trigger our ability to get a refund from AA instead of just credit, but have no idea when QF will be announcing anything.
Anyone seen anything in the Australian press that would give an indication?
Old Apr 21, 20, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stewlevine View Post
Before the world went to heck, my family planned a June/July vacation: DFW-MEL/SYD-DFW
We're booked through AA, but the LAX-MEL (late June) and SYD-DFW (mid July) are both operated by QF. Has QF indicated when it would be announcing what flights it would be operating in June? At this point, we're resigned to not taking the trip, but are waiting for official word of one or both flights being cancelled to trigger our ability to get a refund from AA instead of just credit, but have no idea when QF will be announcing anything.
Look at the top of the www.qantas.com.au web site
Link--->Coronavirus (COVID-19) travel updates
Link--->Booking changes and other options
As you booked with AA you need to deal with AA. Cash or AA ff miles?
Old Apr 21, 20, 2:46 pm

Programs: QF Plat, SQ Gold
I have had my first batch of June flights cancelled yesterday. Mostly BNE-PER. Interestingly intra QLD flights were not yet cancelled. So some changes have already been made.

Also note that Trump has issued an executive order to ban all immigration. That means AUS-US flights might hardly be viable.
Old Apr 21, 20, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by littlegreenman View Post
I have had my first batch of June flights cancelled yesterday. Mostly BNE-PER. Interestingly intra QLD flights were not yet cancelled. So some changes have already been made.

Also note that Trump has issued an executive order to ban all immigration. That means AUS-US flights might hardly be viable.
Were they cancelled - rescheduled - new times as this thread--->QF Cancels Booking rather than reschedules.
Old Apr 21, 20, 3:25 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Even if flights operate, you must be aware of whether or not you will face compulsory quarantine on arrival in Australia. If so then it means 2 weeks “detention” in a hotel where you can’t leave. Probably not what you want.
Old Apr 21, 20, 3:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by og View Post
Even if flights operate, you must be aware of whether or not you will face compulsory quarantine on arrival in Australia. If so then it means 2 weeks “detention” in a hotel where you can’t leave. Probably not what you want.
The post reads to me that the OP is resigned to not going to Australia - just wanting to know when it is likely that QF will confirm its June schedules so that the OP may be able to get a full refund vs getting credit or (if fare allows it) , getting refund with cancellation penalty
Mwenenzi likes this.
Old Apr 21, 20, 4:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA: PPro, 4MM; HH: Lifetime Diamond; MAR Life Titanium Hertz: Prez Circle
Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
The post reads to me that the OP is resigned to not going to Australia - just wanting to know when it is likely that QF will confirm its June schedules so that the OP may be able to get a full refund vs getting credit or (if fare allows it) , getting refund with cancellation penalty
Yes - that's exactly it. I can't imagine that we will have a sufficient handle on public health either in the US or Australia by the end of June, and I have been waiting for QF to officially cancel the two cross-Pacific flights we would be taking to trigger AA to be obligated to refund our airfare instead of getting a credit for future use (booked as AA code shares). I know QF has formally announced that it had cancelled all of its international flights other than repatriation flights through the end of May. What I was wondering was when they were likely to announce their next set of plans.
og likes this.
Old Apr 22, 20, 3:31 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Currently announced flight cancellations are until end of May 2020. Historically QF announces about a week before, so I would not expect your flights to be cancelled prior to May 15 -- so another month to go for that refund. At least QF refunds promptly compared to some other airlines (it is 12 weeks for QR to refund, vs. 1 week for QF, ime). Technically as you are on the AA codeshare, the cancellation by AA is independent of QF and I have seen codeshares stay in the schedule weeks after the flying metal is gone ... you can try asking AA for a refund now. In the perverse world of airline CoC, virtual flights are independent of the physical flight (even though they can't actually takeoff). QF has absolutely no role in your booking, as AA codeshare booked by AA and not QF.
Old Apr 22, 20, 3:51 am
lmk

Programs: HH , UA, AA, Delta, SPG, IHG
Of interest perhaps, if looking for award tickets on aa.com there is availability on QF from June 1 on...e.g. AKL-SYD-JNB, CHC-AKL-JNB etc. FWIW.
Old Apr 22, 20, 6:01 am

Originally Posted by number_6 View Post
... At least QF refunds promptly compared to some other airlines (it is 12 weeks for QR to refund, vs. 1 week for QF, ime)...
Are you sure about this? I've been waiting for my QF refunds for over four weeks without a trace. I have seven different refund requests pending at this time. As others have posted (mind you in a different thread) many have waited for a long time. So unless you've experienced a one week refund yourself and this was very recently in April I would not rely on this one week guideline.

​​​​
jrfsp320 likes this.
Old Apr 22, 20, 6:04 am

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi View Post
Were they cancelled - rescheduled - new times as this thread--->QF Cancels Booking rather than reschedules.
QF 941 BNE-PER on 1st June. Flight is completely cancelled. No BNE-PER direct at all but all via Sydney now. So Qantas has definitely cancelled June flights.
Old Apr 22, 20, 3:35 pm

Programs: QF WP LTS, HHonors Diamond, VA NP
I have a (was footie) trip booked MEL-DRW-MEL for the weekend of 13/14 June so have been watching carefully hoping for a cancellation (although a voucher would be bad either given this was booked during the DSC and is in J).

A couple of weeks ago all the J was zeroed out on EF which was also reflected on QF.com. Last week the flight zeroed out and the only QF flight available was via BNE. Today - all back to normal (except for the breathless J "Price nearly gone" on QF.com despite EF show x8 and x9 across all J booking classes!!)

In short ... I've no idea what's happening ... and I guess neither do Qantas at this point!!

Regards,

BD
Old Apr 22, 20, 6:38 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
.... So unless you've experienced a one week refund yourself and this was very recently in April I would not rely on this one week guideline.​​​​
This was my personal experience, for single QF flight refunded in April ... no idea what their guidance is. I also have pending refunds from BA, IB and QR -- none of which have yet produced money, and quoted 4-12 weeks variously. DL also managed refund within a week, fwiw. I can understand the frustration as the refund process is opaque and slow with unpredictable timings at times.
Old Apr 23, 20, 8:49 pm

Programs: QF LTS, QF GOLD, Marriott LTG, Marriott PLAT
Currently the Australian border is closed and only returning Australian citizens are allowed entry into the country. I'd expect your flights will be cancelled over the next month at which point you could request a refund.
Old Apr 27, 20, 1:39 am

Are you sure about this? I've been waiting for my QF refunds for over four weeks without a trace. I have seven different refund requests pending at this time. As others have posted (mind you in a different thread) many have waited for a long time. So unless you've experienced a one week refund yourself and this was very recently in April I would not rely on this one week guideline.

​​​​
i refunded a cancelled Qantas flight earlier this week and was told to expect a longer than usual turn around time for $$$ to be refunded to my credit card (they said usually it was up to 4 weeks, but right now to expect up to 8 weeks)
littlegreenman likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: