FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Qantas | Frequent Flyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qantas-frequent-flyer-498/)
-   -   qantas refund (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qantas-frequent-flyer/2015804-qantas-refund.html)

gocat Apr 15, 2020 2:54 am

qantas refund

Hi. Has anyone got a refund from Qantas LHR to Sydney via manage my booking. I clicked the refund button end of March. My flight would have been April 11th. I have emailed them several times with no reply. Getting worried now. Also wanting refund for seat selection which I have put in for via manage my booking too.

Kiwi Flyer Apr 15, 2020 11:06 am

Qantas has said to allow 4-6 weeks for refunds to be processed.

gocat Apr 15, 2020 1:50 pm

Yes ok. Just that Ive been hearing from my daughter in Australia some have received refunds. So just wondered if anyone here has got a refund yet.

littlegreenman Apr 15, 2020 3:05 pm

Still waiting myself on multiple requests. I have two PayPal disputes open on the bookings as well due to no refund received in the last four weeks. No response on those either. TBC I guess.

Often1 Apr 15, 2020 3:40 pm

As this was a ticket covered by EC 261/2004, QF had 7 days to initiate a refund. Presuming that "end" of March meant the 31st, the 7th day would have been 7 April and OP should have initiated a chargeback with his credit card issuer on 8 April. Best to supply everything the issuer (bank) needs, e.g., e-ticket receipt, notice / proof of cancellation, commitment for a refund from QF (with a note that this is due under EC 261/2004).

gocat Apr 16, 2020 4:03 am

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 32296715)
As this was a ticket covered by EC 261/2004, QF had 7 days to initiate a refund. Presuming that "end" of March meant the 31st, the 7th day would have been 7 April and OP should have initiated a chargeback with his credit card issuer on 8 April. Best to supply everything the issuer (bank) needs, e.g., e-ticket receipt, notice / proof of cancellation, commitment for a refund from QF (with a note that this is due under EC 261/2004).

Yes too much giving Qantas beneift of the doubt. Will be contacting paypal as thats how I paid. Fingers crossed we all get it sorted soon .

sp427 Apr 22, 2020 11:49 am

Cancellation fees?

For anyone that has already received their refund (or received a confirmation of the amount that will be refunded) for a flight cancelled by QF (not by you): was the amount you paid refunded in full, or did Qantas include a cancellation fee / other admin fee?

We have 3 cancelled flights and over $15k of credit with QF at the moment. I'm going to call the Platinum desk for the refunds, but just wanted to hear what everyone else's experience has been. The online refund request option under Bookings seems simplest , but I read a few posts where people recommended not doing this because you agree to a cancellation fee. Can anyone confirm that that's the case (ie you requested the refund online and the amount refunded wasn't the same as what you paid)?

Thanks in advance!

number_6 Apr 22, 2020 6:41 pm

I received refund in full, no deduction for fees, from QF for a flight cancelled by QF and booked directly with QF, handled online (no problems). By contrast had another flight on BA where $100 admin fee was taken by online travel agent that I had used (so not an airline fee). Most online agents are charging such fees now, it seems.

Often1 Apr 22, 2020 6:46 pm

For tickets which include a segment departing the EU or departing from or arriving into the US, a full refund means a full refund (by the carrier).

If one has contracted with a third-party such as a so-called OTA, and agreed to a free in that contract, that is between you and the OTA.

sp427 Apr 22, 2020 7:13 pm

Thanks to both of you -- that's super helpful! For reference, our flights were booked directly with Qantas: one for domestic Australia travel, one for travel to the US, and another for travel to Ecuador.

number_6: when you canceled online, do you remember if you were you shown how much your refund would be before finalizing the refund request? I'm just afraid that once I hit "Request Refund" it'll all be done automatically/immediately before having a chance to review the amount and before having an option to cancel the request (if there are any potential cancellation fees -- in which case I'd call up and speak to an agent). Thanks again!

In case it's helpful to anyone else: for AA flights cancelled by AA (and booked by me from Australia, in AUD), I was able to do this online @ prefunds.aa.com easily (I originally tried to do this with the US Exec Platinum desk, but they couldn't do it for me because the flights were paid for in AUD). It was "Pending Review" for about 5 biz days before it said that it was credited back to my credit card -- and it then took about 3 biz days to go back to my card.

sp427 Apr 23, 2020 10:00 pm

I took the plunge -- I went online, selected my itinerary under Manage my Booking, chose the REFUND option all the way at the bottom, and the next screen was an immediate confirmation that read:

Confirmation of refund request
Your refund request is currently being processed for [$Full Amount] (AUD). Due to a high volume of refunds, we're currently experiencing longer processing times. Thank you for your patience while we work through these.

Thanks for your help!

zeikka Apr 24, 2020 7:06 am

We have tickets for a family of 5 on the new ORD - BNE flights July 29th - August 14th.

I am getting these emails from Qantas to cancel for a credit: "We want to remind those customers who have flights booked for travel before 31 July 2020 and no longer wish to fly, that they have until Thursday 30 April 2020 to request a full flight credit. The credit will be valid until 31 December 2021 and Qantas will waive the usual change fees."

Am I correct in my thinking not to do anything at this time?

If the Covid-19 situation does not improve then we will want full refund and not credit with restrictions as we have no idea when the 5 of us would use Qantas credit. We'd like to visit Australia at some point, but will do so only if schedules allow and the price is right. I don't want to end up with credit that won't necessarily even cover new flights (the total for the 5 of us was $3,770 for ORD (- BNE -) SYD // CBR - BNE - ORD).

I think the new route won't start on time anyways, and I can get the money back once they start canceling the flights (either from Qantas or from my credit card company).

Often1 Apr 24, 2020 7:32 am

Correct. If you cancel, you get a credit. If QF cancels, you are due a refund. Just keep watching. If and when it is cancelled or the timing substantially changed, then ask for your refund. If by some chance, the flight really does operate on July 29, you will have to be satisfied with a credit unless your travel insurance will cover it (unlikely).

mapboyPHL Apr 24, 2020 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by zeikka (Post 32320832)
I am getting these emails from Qantas to cancel for a credit: "We want to remind those customers who have flights booked for travel before 31 July 2020 and no longer wish to fly, that they have until Thursday 30 April 2020 to request a full flight credit. The credit will be valid until 31 December 2021 and Qantas will waive the usual change fees."

Am I correct in my thinking not to do anything at this time?
).

I wonder the same thing. I have 2x SYD-WLG flight in July. I live in the US and my trip this summer is cancelled. I don't imagine I will need QF credit in the next year and would prefer a refund. If we wait longer to see if flights get cancelled, will the offer for credit be extended beyond April 30?

Though news reports seem to indicate that if any international flights do resume from SYD, MEL etc., it will be to New Zealand... (so less chance of cancellation).

Often1 Apr 24, 2020 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by mapboyPHL (Post 32321880)
I wonder the same thing. I have 2x SYD-WLG flight in July. I live in the US and my trip this summer is cancelled. I don't imagine I will need QF credit in the next year and would prefer a refund. If we wait longer to see if flights get cancelled, will the offer for credit be extended beyond April 30?

Though news reports seem to indicate that if any international flights do resume from SYD, MEL etc., it will be to New Zealand... (so less chance of cancellation).

Yours is not the same situation. The post you are referring to includes an xUS segment and is thus covered by US law which requires a refund if the flight is cancelled by the carrier. You do not have such a situation and thus at at the mercy of QF's far less generous policy.