Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Qantas Surcharges with Awards / Booking Engine - Phantom Inventory Question

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Qantas Surcharges with Awards / Booking Engine - Phantom Inventory Question

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2020, 12:46 pm
Original Poster

Question Qantas Surcharges with Awards / Booking Engine - Phantom Inventory Question

Hello, I am completely new to Qantas. Given the current situation award availability has opened up quite a bit and I'd like to book a trip to Fiji for my family of 5. I live in the midwest US and availability shows on aa.com via LAX to NAN on Fiji airlines. I can transfer points to Qantas. I signed up for a new account and Qantas shows availability as well for 376k total in economy. Fees are not shown, however.

Before I transfer Citi and Amex points to my Qantas accounts, I'd like to know how I can see the taxes and surcharges for an award ticket. BA and LH are so expensive I might as well just buy the tickets. I'd like to avoid this situation. Also, how reliable is the booking engine. I have been tricked by AF, UA and BA into believing an award was available only to be told after the transfer that I was looking at phantom inventory. Inventory is plentiful in June so I don't think it will be an issue but some reassurance from other flyertalkers would be nice.

Thank you!
Old Mar 31, 2020, 2:34 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
I admire your optimism in that even if you do manage to get award tickets that you will be able to travel to Fiji in June. And if you do, it is unknown if the Fiji authorities will have any compulsory quarantine procedure or restrictions on local travel. Medical support in Fiji is more limited than in the USA. There is currently an outbreak of measles but no recorded COVID19 (according to the Australian Government).

Personally, I wouldn’t do a trip like this until there is a COVID19 vaccine and closures (everywhere) have been relaxed. I have also learnt that just because there is a flight shown (anywhere), it could be cancelled at the last minute and you then go through all sorts of problems trying to get your cash / miles refunded.

Edited: if COVID19 hits Fiji, it’ll be a massive problem. Absolutely massive. The easy going culture in the country (which is delightful) will probably ensure the virus spreads far, wide and fast. It’ll be deadly.

Last edited by og; Mar 31, 2020 at 3:52 pm
Old Mar 31, 2020, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I looked for LAX-NAN-LAX economy for a random date in Oct 2020
31,500 QF ff points and USD$5.60 on FJ811 LAX-NAN
31,500 QF ff points and FJD$257.80 on FJ810 NAN-LAX
For QF that's good. Often QF charges surcharges like or greater than BA

June to me too close. To me I would wait until 2021. Very uncertain times.

Edit
The information here may now not be up date. Flight schedule change by the day.
FT thread FIJI AIRWAYS suspends 95% of flights
FJ link-->https://www.fijiairways.com/en-au/fl...source=browser.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Mar 31, 2020 at 2:45 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.