Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Qantas idea of level playing field

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2020, 7:53 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by og
It’s very much in the interest of the travelling public for VA to survive.
It's probably even a good investment for the federal government, let alone the public. IIRC annual domestic airfare spend has been in the order of $300m (although obviously won't be in 2020). If airfares went up 20% in a monopoly type situation - that adds another $60m/per annum. How much would it cost the federal government to offer a loan of about half of what VA is asking for (ie. $700m)?
Old Mar 31, 2020, 7:57 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by BD1959
Would also provide SQ with its coveted Australia-US service.
Ship has long since sailed on that one. SQ were very interested when UA and QF were the only players offering non-stops from Australia to North America continent. Until a few weeks ago VA, DL, AC and AA all also offered non stop flights to North America. I don't think SQ would be quite so interested now.
Old Apr 1, 2020, 12:04 am

Programs: QF Gold, VA Plat, IHG Plat Amb, LCAH Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Just reading on SMH (https://www.smh.com.au/national/coro...30-p54fg5.html ) that

Qantas has told the Morrison government it expects a $4.2 billion loan to "level the playing field" if it bails out smaller rival Virgin Australia with a $1.4 billion coronavirus rescue package, The Sydney Morning Herald and The Age's Patrick Hatch reports.

Im curious on how wanting 3 times the amount would create a 'level playing field'
I guess Qantas don't understand how welfare works.
Old Apr 1, 2020, 4:19 am
Hvr

Programs: QF LTG:
Originally Posted by perthite
I guess Qantas don't understand how welfare works.
Given how many big businesses have their hands out for money at the moment I suggest they understand perfectly how it works.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.